lintern

Can you make a living as a tandem cameraman ?

Everybody has to pay tax on their earnings, in Europe as well in the USA. Just not everybody actually does.

That's not exactly true. You may or may not have to FILE, you may or may not have to PAY, too. I have filed every year since I started working as a kid, but I have only actually had to pay taxes one year since I was 18, and that's because I had taken a year off of school to work for Microsoft and made about 25 times what I did most other years. If you make very very little money, you can make so little that you don't have to pay taxes.

If you tell them you make money you have to pay, If you do not tell anything.........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

If you tell them you make money you have to pay, If you do not tell anything.........

My tax paperwork from the last few years says otherwise. Sure, you have to have made next to nothing, and be pretty creative or have a lot of deductions, but it can be done. I made like $4,500US last year or something like that, didn't pay any federal income tax.
cavete terrae.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to work for somebody like Alti-2 or Airtec or Vigil - design it, lay it out, solder it, flash it, and jump it

At least that would be more interesting than what I do now, but how difficult would it be to get into those companies

Hint: check out the bottom left column here...

~Lara

I hate doing electronics and I especially hate doing electronics for my particular firm.

You might not be able to do much about the first, but maybe you can do something about the second.

I finished university (part time) with a 2.1 honours degree 5 years ago, I've been in full time
employment since the age of 16 yet I'm on £20k gross.

That's US$35,000, which seems really low to me - but I'm not in the UK. I'm not sure of the terminology,
but had you gone to university full time, would you have gotten the same degree you have now in 2 years,
4 years, or something else? In the US, $35K might not be bad for a two-year degree, but it would be
a little low for a four-year degree, even for someone who just graduated.

Go to work for somebody like Alti-2 or Airtec or Vigil - design it, lay it out, solder it, flash it, and jump it

At least that would be more interesting than what I do now, but how difficult would it be to get into those companies

Take your logbook and your resume'/CV and go there in person. (Don't try to do it over email, fax, or
phone.) Knock on the door, explain that you skydive and do electronics, and would like to work for
them. It might take a couple of tries for you to get in to see the right person, but keep at it. Depending
on your finances and how you feel about it, you might even accept a job in the shipping department or
something, and then work your way into an electronics job later.

Another way that doesn't work everywhere is to just go there and hang out and be helpful. After a while
they will start writing you checks. This may sound silly, but it is exactly how I got the job I have today.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I was going to mention Taupo...

I was down there last April and made a jump at one of the 3 dz's. I could not believe the numbers they were doing. They were turning full Pac-750 loads of tandems every 15-20 minutes all day long. I have never seen so many tandem rigs in one place, hell you could probably make a good living just packing.

I had my video gear with me and I filmed a solo jump I made. Just the ride up, scenery around the lake, a tandem pair exiting, and my jump. When I landed one of the vidiots asked me if I was looking for work. He said you could do quite well just filming and even better if you had a tandem rating.

Unfortunately I don't think the wife and kids would go for me moving to New Zealand to be a professional skydiver.;)

But, if I was a younger single guy I would do it in a heartbeat.