polaco62

VIGIL AAD

I have been told that there has been an incident regarding a Vigil AAD and a diver making a hook turn that resulted in the divers deaths. I was told the AAD fired during the hook turn. I have not been able to find any information to substantiate this claim, has anybody heard or know anything in regards to this incident?[:/]

If you read through the thread that Dragon2 has mentioned you will find a few other similar incidents mentioned. One of them may be what you are looking for. It has been a while since I read that thread and I don't remember if one of those incidents mentioned were on a Vigil or not but I don't think so...

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Thanks for the help.
It seems that our sport is evolving to fast for our safety gear to keep up. I have not been in the market for an AAD in a while and have not read their warnings if any do exist.
However at our DZ the subject of mandatory AAD has risen due to the lost of two of our family members.
I had been told that the Vigil was pointed out for openings under canopy but was not given all the facts. As a board member I am trying to find out what our options are and of ways to making it economically possible for everyone to have an AAD in their rig.
Thank you again for your help.
Sam

The reason Jonathan had a Cypres fire this year in France was because at that DZ (in the entire country actually) an AAD is mandatory.

Personally I don't think making an AAD mandatory for those swoopers that a) maybe get wet every now and then and b) get in the 78 mph range is a good idea.

Here in The Netherlands an AAD is mandatory untill your C. Most people have one after that anyway. But the best swoopers don't turn it on or don't even have one, their choice.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Personally I don't think making an AAD mandatory for those swoopers that a) maybe get wet every now and then and b) get in the 78 mph range is a good idea.

Swooping as a skydiving discipline is not recognized by the french skydiving federation (not covered by federal insurance) so for the moment there is no such thing as a "swooper" in france.... Even if, of course, you can see people doing swoops in every DZ, but for fun only.

We had a European Swoop competition in Lapalisse this year.
Swooping as a skydiving discipline is not recognized by the french skydiving federation (not covered by federal insurance) so for the moment there is no such thing as a "swooper" in france.... Even if, of course, you can see people doing swoops in every DZ, but for fun only.

We had a European Swoop Tour competition in Lapalisse this year.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We had a European Swoop Tour competition in Lapalisse this year.

I know, this is an exceptionnal event and competitors are not covered by the french federation insurance contract.

If they're not covered anyway, why not allow them to jump without AAD for this event?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It would be against french regulations ;)
AFAIK, competitors were to provide proof that they had personal insurance for swooping before being authorized to compete....

Well the end result of those regulations was a 2 out for Jonathan [:/]

I thought the French rules funny anyway: during the world championships in Gap, I was taking exit photo's, not jumping out. During the walk from the boarding area to the porter I had to have my cypres on, then turn if off when I got to the plane, after the plane had touched down I had to turn my cypres back ON again and walk back! :S:S:S

Regulations are fine and all, but sometimes i think you have to be a little more flexible.

ciel bleu,
Saskia