hongkongluna

New DZ

Signed up for canopy course at Skys The LImit in PA. Question is, i'll be at a new dz, currently jump at the ranch, and doing hopnpop, which i have yet to do. Are these too many new variables to introduce ? I"m currently working towards my A, on coach jumps, no hopnpops yet. Still on student gear too & the student gear at Skys the limit is 230, which i jump a 220 right now, and BOC so no new equipment to worry about. I dont feel uncomfortable going but wonder if i'm seeing all the angles. Any input is appreciated.
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

I'm guessing, since you're still very new, that the canopy course instructor, for at least your first jump, won't give you any new exercises to try, but will simply tell you to fly your normal pattern and land as your normally would, with him/her observing. In this case, you wouldn't have any new variables from the canopy course to worry about on the first or 2nd jump. Again, just guessing here...

Its a Scott Miller course, which i've heard good things about. Not worried about doing a hop n pop. Actually excited about that.

My main concern was the gear. If it was different gear, i was going to back out because that would be too many new variable, imho. But, i confirmed w/ the DZ today that its the same gear setup, except for a slightly larger main, 230 versus my current 220.

I'll get there as early as possible to familiarize myself w/ the gear & dropzone. If, for any reason, i dont feel right about it, I wont jump, bottom line.
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Try to squeeze in at least one full altitude jump before the course just to get the jitters out and you comfy with the gear, area.

Express any concerns to Scott as well. I'm sure he can help.

Also, if you're a bit anxious from not having done a hop & pop yet, doing 1 or 2 hop & pops prior to the course might not be a bad idea, either

Pond Boy #1,

It isn't required that you have your A license to participate in Scott's course, but I'm fairly sure that being cleared to self-supervise is a requirement.

I'm only bringing this up because it sounds like you haven't made your graduation hop 'n pop yet, and if this is correct, then you might want to chech with Scott and confirm for certain that you will be able to participate.

Have fun,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

Thought that avatar was kinda weird for someone named Mike. Figured i had other problems besides a new DZ, as in vision loss.

Anyway, i'm cleared to self-supervise but i cannot manifest myself yet. Basically cleared to Solo, but an instructor has to put me on a load. Is that a standard ? Does that mean i'm cleared to self-supervise? i've never asked about the difference between "cleared for solo" & "able to self-supervise"

Emailed with 1 of my instructors yesterday and had to double check that the rental gear at STL is same type of main, which it is, Navigator 230. Not something more hp. Also, STL will be sending an instructor up with me for the 1st h&p.

Spoke to STL regarding my currency & experience level & all relevant details.

Now, hopefully the weather will clear up enuf :|
-Rainier

Thought that avatar was kinda weird for someone named Mike. Figured i had other problems besides a new DZ, as in vision loss.

Don't worry about your eyes, that's Ashley.
She's Grouper's girlfriend, but I'm stealing her from himB|

Might wait til after the 5 jumps to ask for the coffee tho

Scott's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. If you ask him to buy you coffee, he will. Ask him to buy me a cup too.

Have fun,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

Thanks everyone here at dz.com & thanks to stephanie, teresa & damian at STL for answering all my questions.

Weather supposed to be mostly cloudy til 2 and winds near my cutoff limit. Not gonna drive all the way out & sit around...canceled my spot.
-Rainier