quade

On-line reaction time test

i've been told that 1/20th of a sec (.05) was the limit of human perception.

Depends on what you're talking about.

I can -definately- see the flashing of a screen refresh, 1/60th or so, using my peripheral vision. I also see flourecent tubes flashing in the same way. This is actually not uncommon. I do not see the same effect with the fovea, the center on my vision.

That said, it's possible to "see" something as brief as a millionth of a second. A flash going off in a room for instance. However, persistance of vision would make it difficult to distinguish between two flashes closer than about 1/20th.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

its kind of hard to test now that i have played with it...any testing would be skewed since I have played with it....

yea, im had a blonde moment about the Java...
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

i've been told that 1/20th of a sec (.05) was the limit of human perception.

Depends on what you're talking about.

I can -definately- see the flashing of a screen refresh, 1/60th or so, using my peripheral vision. I also see flourecent tubes flashing in the same way. This is actually not uncommon. I do not see the same effect with the fovea, the center on my vision.

24 frames a second is an old standard for motion picture films. It's not the maximum of what a person can detect, but rather the minimum sufficient rate to consistently trick a brain into seeing motion.

A good way to experience this yourself is to rig up some contemporary video games that can show you the frame rate real-time. You can really see and appreciate the difference between 20 and 60 frames / sec. And I think you'll find that anything less than 20 seems choppy.

ISTR broadcast television uses 30 frames / sec...tho watching my mom's satellite dish it's apparent to me that satellite & cable cheat a bit.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

With a couple false starts, I managed to get it to register an absolute zero on trial 2. Trial 5 was an honest ,125. The other 3 were .203, .203, .218. Claimed average thus .1498.

Second run I averaged .177 with a slow .234 and an honest .078.

If I'm up later tonight on this, you'll be getting a visit from my goons.

ISTR broadcast television uses 30 frames / sec...tho watching my mom's satellite dish it's apparent to me that satellite & cable cheat a bit.

NTSC television is 29.97 "frames" per second with each frame made of two screen refreshes called "fields", so the screen flashes about 60 times per second. Each field in the frame can (usually does) have unique information so it would not be out of line to think of it as 60 frames per second at half verticle resolution.

BTW, before the invention of sound, the standard frame rate was 18 frames per second -- more or less, nothing was very well calibrated -- which is why when old silent movies are shown everyone appears to move so quickly. Most were simply ran through the telecine at the now standard film rate of 24 fps.
quade -

M, 19, just back from work, haven't eaten in a while, worried about my future, uncomfortable shoes... avg time 0.206

enter Party Pooper:

> Now this has what to do with skydiving?

i.e., i wouldn't expect the distribution of our results *for this particular test* to be noticeably different from that of general population's.

;)

it also obviously has a set of "discrete" times that you get nearly always (.187, .203, .219, etc.) while you rarely get the numbers in between. is that a flaw/peculiarity/feature of java?

So what's this curiosity revealed comparing us with the 'average joe'?

Probably nothing, but it does have some implications if you consider how fast we might need to react to things, variations in reaction times with age and sex as pointed out in http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm. Certain aspects of the sport might be considered a "young man's game" with the turning point somewhere around mid to late 40s.

Rut row!
quade -

Probably nothing, but it does have some implications if you consider how fast we might need to react to things, variations in reaction times with age and sex as pointed out in http://biae.clemson.edu/...Lab/110/reaction.htm. Certain aspects of the sport might be considered a "young man's game" with the turning point somewhere around mid to late 40s.

quade:
Age 46
Sex M
Avg 0.3014

kallend:
Male
Age 59 (aka Old Fart)
Average 0.2080

Rut row! indeed!!!! ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon