Caelum

stuck on aff 6

I am stuck on AFF VI. My instructors tell me I have a great exit, I 'm stable when I don't try to turn, I always pull on time, I have great canopy control, and my landings are excellent. But for some reason, I always spin to the left when I try to turn 90 degrees. I try to stop my spin by turning to the right so I look over my right shoulder, but I still ALWAYS slowly spin left. I am getting a little discouraged! I've failed this level twice. My ego hurts as well as my pocket book! The nearest wind tunnel is about a 6 hour drive away, or I would go there. I did a search on this question and the common themes seem to be "listen to your instructor" and "relax." I've had two different instructors. One told me it was because my arms weren't 90 degrees, the other said it was my legs were too far apart and I'm a little stiff. Maybe both are right? I've had a bunch of advice from lots of different people, but I still failed! I'm a little confused and I wonder if this is a sign I can only be a mediocre skydiver. . . . And why is it always a left spin?

well dont mean to be sarcastic or anything like that but if it were me I'd take the 6 hour drive. Think about it, instead of using your money and possibly failing your aff 6 again while at the same time not progressing at all why not spend money to drive out to and utilize the tunnel while moving forward. I thought i might run into snags on aff 4 so what i did was buy a 30 min tunnel block as a precaution and as a confidence builder. I couldn't be happier.

Caelum, I failed IAF lvl 4 once and lvl 5 twice... problems with mainly my legs, etc. I seem to be doing ok now. Also, I know someone that didn't get his A license until like his 37th jump because he always had a problem spinning to one side, I think it was a lazy leg. Now he has around 500 jumps in one and a half year and is an awesome skydiver.

I'm not telling you this to show you what might be wrong with your body position. I'm telling you this because in the beginning (probably in the future too) you'll come across things that you get "stuck" on, then all of a sudden get it.

Only advice I can tell you besides getting video or tunnel time is you can try toetaps to make sure those legs are where they're supposed to be. Above all, listen to your instructors, you'll get it eventually.

I jumped AFF5 3 times because of the spins before my instructor suggested that I should get a video. I clearly saw that my legs were causing the problem.

Definetely get a video!
Good luck! You will make it! :)

You've had two different instructors telling you what they think the problem is and they are probably both right - from what they have seen from jumping with you.

It happens a lot in AFF where on one jump, you do one thing and then on the next jump, something totally different (body position wise),

Ask your preferred instructor to go through some muscle memory techniques on the ground (invaluable as training on the ground is free) and then get video on your next jump.

Without trying to overload you, visualize your turn to the left being the same as turning to the right (in reverse!!!) - the more you stress about doing a bad turn to your left, the more you will do it in the skydive as you are visualising what NOT to do, and then do it.

I hope that what I've said all makes sense and good luck!

Liz

Hi mate
after reading your post it sounds like it could quite possibly be ur legs.I would suggest trying heel clicks ,what this is is what is sounds like ,when you feel that slow turn try clicking your heals together .What this does is bring your legs together & create an awareness of where your legs are .I have tried this with a few stage fours for their heading control if they have a slow turn & have been successful. Also do u use an wrist mount alti ?Alti checks could cause a slight turn by the student moving his arm only very slightly but enough to cause a slight turn .I would get video on the next jump its a great learning tool !!!If money is a prob see if a camera person will do it for a ticket & a beer or 3 at the end of the day. hope this helps you out .

I agree. One of my friends recently had the same issue and relaxing with adding heel taps corrected the problem. Give it a shot, and dont get too frustrated. Getting through AFF doesnt really let you know what kind of skydiver you will become...except maybe a very relaxed, and patient one. ;)

Let us know what you decide and how it all works out.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I did the wind tunnel between 3-4 It was awesome.. It threw me off a little when I did 4 as it takes less input in the tunnel and I had a slight left turn. With the experience in the tunnel I was able to correct it and get my heading back. My level 5 was total bliss..
I got some advice from someone that worked for me..
I’m not sure if your thinker.. But.. I am.. I was going over the jump in my head over and over.. I found that I was over thinking it..
I was told to go over my EP's and not so much the task.
The bottom line is this.. for the most part.. I think our body already knows how to fly.. When we release our minds and allow the body to do its thing is when it happens..
When I did that.. I looked where I wanted to go.. and I went.. when I wanted to stop.. I just thought stop.. and I did.. It was amazing..
I also gave myself room to be held back on a level with out disappointment..
Every jump is perfect if we land safely.. Just have fun.. and try to let go..
Everyone’s journey is different.. the destination is the same..
Take the drive to the wind tunnel.. It helped me a lot...
it was tons of fun.. don’t consider it a hold back.. Just consider it part of your journey..
I’m no spiritual giant.. and not the preachy type.. But this is how it has been working for me
Good luck and keep us updated

Think straight... you are probibly dropping your elbow or something... relax and arch hard and you should stop whatever you are doing except for that quick downward motion
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192