sitflyer35

Questionable Tandem Video

Who are you?

You posted stuff that has been deleted out of an incident's thread and now has posted the link to this video 3 times with no information about you in your profile.

What is your purpose and intent behind these posts?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

woa. That's some scary shit! All I can say is I hope this was something planned with even the passenger being a consenting experienced skydiver. If not, then ya, ground them!

Read the discussion at the bottom of the download page. The TI and others tell all, no reason to speculate.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

From the discussion below the download button:

"As the tandem instructor in that video I would like to set things straight. This was my 1000th jump. The student was not an experienced jumper. The plan for the skydive was to build a simple 4 way round with the student and break off at 6000 feet. We explained the jump plan with the student and gave him the choice to have others in the air with him or not. I even spoke with him one on one and let him know that if he was uncomfortable in any way that we would go alone. I also explained that the other jumpers were all tandem/AFF instructors and that I felt safe jumping with them. The student had seen a similar formation created in the Relative Workshop tandem video and thought the formation idea sounded great. He was also stoked to be involved on my 1000th jump. We discussed the dive as a group prior to leaving the ground. The two jumpers who touched my drouge deviated from the plan without my consent. You will notice that there was a third jumper in the air who decided that what was going on was unsafe and maintained his distance. After the jump I worked with my local tandem examiner and submitted a full report to Relative Workshop. The two instructors who touched my drouge were spoken to and were disciplined for their actions. One tandem instructor no longer conducts tandems at our drop zone. The other instructor was suspended for the rest of the year and had to sit through the tandem instructor ground school before resuming tandem instruction. I firmly agree that my safety and the safety of my student were compromised on this jump and believe me when I tell you that I was not happy, nor did I take it lightly. Even if the passenger was an experienced jumper this sort of action would not be ok. Messing with a drouge in freefall is dangerous and should not be done. Period. I would appreciate it if the description were updated to reflect the truth."

This doesn't explain why someone was hanging onto the front of the tandem for exit or the TI's lack any attempt to stop their actions by waving off. It really looks like it was planned with the TI's knowledge. Clearly the exit was.

Derek

Is it common practice to hang on to the plane by sticking a hand in under the flap on the wing like the camera flyer did in that video?

There is a bracket on Twin Otters that allows you to get away with that, but they were exiting a Caravan. I wouldn't do that on a Caravan, bad for your fingers and the flap.

Derek

From the discussion below the download button:

"As the tandem instructor in that video I would like to set things straight. This was my 1000th jump. The student was not an experienced jumper. The plan for the skydive was to build a simple 4 way round with the student and break off at 6000 feet. We explained the jump plan with the student and gave him the choice to have others in the air with him or not. I even spoke with him one on one and let him know that if he was uncomfortable in any way that we would go alone. I also explained that the other jumpers were all tandem/AFF instructors and that I felt safe jumping with them. The student had seen a similar formation created in the Relative Workshop tandem video and thought the formation idea sounded great. He was also stoked to be involved on my 1000th jump. We discussed the dive as a group prior to leaving the ground. The two jumpers who touched my drouge deviated from the plan without my consent. You will notice that there was a third jumper in the air who decided that what was going on was unsafe and maintained his distance. After the jump I worked with my local tandem examiner and submitted a full report to Relative Workshop. The two instructors who touched my drouge were spoken to and were disciplined for their actions. One tandem instructor no longer conducts tandems at our drop zone. The other instructor was suspended for the rest of the year and had to sit through the tandem instructor ground school before resuming tandem instruction. I firmly agree that my safety and the safety of my student were compromised on this jump and believe me when I tell you that I was not happy, nor did I take it lightly. Even if the passenger was an experienced jumper this sort of action would not be ok. Messing with a drouge in freefall is dangerous and should not be done. Period. I would appreciate it if the description were updated to reflect the truth."

This doesn't explain why someone was hanging onto the front of the tandem for exit or the TI's lack any attempt to stop their actions by waving off. It really looks like it was planned with the TI's knowledge. Clearly the exit was.

Derek

I did 3 tandems before starting AFF, and like most, I knew nothing about how tandem gear worked, just that we got out, opened a parachute, then landed.

My instructors could have asked me if I wanted to go on a drogue-less head-down 8 way and I would have said yes.

IMO, whatever the plan was, it shouldn't have been done with a student, as I doubt any student can understand the added risk involved, especially with a TI telling him it's ok.

Knowning what I know now, no one could pay me to be on an RW jump as a tandem passenger.

Knowning what I know now, no one could pay me to be on an RW jump as a tandem passenger.

I think that if done properly without screwing around it can be done safe....

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I did 3 tandems before starting AFF, and like most, I knew nothing about how tandem gear worked, just that we got out, opened a parachute, then landed.

My instructors could have asked me if I wanted to go on a drogue-less head-down 8 way and I would have said yes.

IMO, whatever the plan was, it shouldn't have been done with a student, as I doubt any student can understand the added risk involved, especially with a TI telling him it's ok.

You're so right. Studends and first timers will trust the more experienced without knowing the real danger that is added. I, being just barely an AFF graduate didn't realize this until recently through these forums. That even a camera flyer is an added risk. But having people yank on your drogue, that's just irresponsible. I guess if the tandem passenger was a "D" licensed skydiver and consented to this it might be considered OK. But there is NO WAY a first timer would know the added danger involved, even if he consented.

I think that if done properly without screwing around it can be done safe....

It can and has been done safely. (see attachment) But not with a student and playing around with the drouge.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Uh, on my second tandem jump someone was holding onto my harness as we exited the plane. Okay, was that bad? They just said the guy wanted to practice his camera work (I didn't pay for a video) and that he would hold onto my harness while we jumped out. I didn't care but also didn't have a clue if that was bad or not. Was it? He flew on his back below me videotaping after he let go. Seemed okay but what do I know? Nothing!

There has been 2 deaths at this DZ this year! Three people could have died in just this incident. Don't you think it is time for stuff like this to be stopped!

Why is it important who I am? As far as my intentions and purpose, well that should be obvious SAFTEY

2 deaths that have nothing to do with the smear campaign you are trying. 1st death - didn't get their reserve out. Maybe an RSL might have been a good idea for them. 2nd death - spent too much time screwing around in air DESPITE having had reserve rides before. In case you haven't noticed, you can do all the training you want and it won't necessarily do anything when it comes down to crunch time.

As to why I'm asking who you are? I don't trust your motives. To come onto the boards and start immediately with comments very blatently against a DZ and then this, SAFETY as you so loudly yell is not your concern.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

...This doesn't explain why someone was hanging onto the front of the tandem for exit or the TI's lack any attempt to stop their actions by waving off. It really looks like it was planned with the TI's knowledge. Clearly the exit was.

Derek

And it STILL hasn't been explained....why?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...This doesn't explain why someone was hanging onto the front of the tandem for exit or the TI's lack any attempt to stop their actions by waving off. It really looks like it was planned with the TI's knowledge. Clearly the exit was.

Derek

Because none of them people read dropzone.com would be my best guess.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Derek

What kind of explanation are you looking for? I agree that climbing the drogue bridle is ridiculous, and I'd be kicking the shit out of anyone who did that to me, but I don't think the exit looks like death on a stick.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)