NewGuy2005

Pro-Tec Helmet too tight

Shave your head.

Better yet: Plane my head!! Thanks!

Don't be quite so radical, put some charcoal dust all over the lining, then put the helmet on.

Take off helmet, use some wet and dry (I'd reccomend 400 grade at first, then switch down to 200 for the last one) and sand down till it fits.

Repeat and rinse as nessacey.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Don't be quite so radical, put some charcoal dust all over the lining, then put the helmet on.

Take off helmet, use some wet and dry (I'd reccomend 400 grade at first, then switch down to 200 for the last one) and sand down till it fits.

Repeat and rinse as nessacey.

I see. Like inletting a gunstock!

(I'd reccomend 400 grade at first, then switch down to 200 for the last one)

I think you have that backwards, 200 grit is more agressive than 400 grit. Or am I missing something?

You are correct. The grit number refers to the mesh that the grit will pass through - more wires per inch leaves smaller holes so the particles that get through are smaller.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I’ve been wearing ProTec for years. When I started in Naval Special Warfare all we could find are XL. I still believe that’s the largest size for the classic full cut. If it’s tight on your forehead and bump in the back press on the sides of the helmet and if that feels better than it’s an easy fix. Zip tie both ear flaps together then place it in the oven at the lowest temp. After it starts to soften put it directly in the freezer. Check the fit. If it needs more time then just keep repeating until it’s good to go. Shaving down will make it feel weird and you ruin the felt.