frost

Lucky skydiver

I dunno if the Rsl fired it - didnt' see properly and am only a student so wouldn't wanna comment.

Although i guess it is an easy mistake to make in the sensation of freefall and all other factors.

But one mistake you can't make to often i guess!:o

I dunno if the Rsl fired it - didnt' see properly and am only a student so wouldn't wanna comment.

Although i guess it is an easy mistake to make in the sensation of freefall and all other factors.

But one mistake you can't make to often i guess!:o

I dont think it did..
I was glad to hear in the interview that he wouldnt be jumping again.. although.. with all that had happend.. He probably would never pull that one again..
;)

The best is to hear this moron on TV saying how he didn't do anything wrong and nothing worked right and skydiving is dangerous. I just wonder if he is really so delusional that he believes himself. I'd love to go on the next talk show with him and call bullshit. He's made a small career out of being a f-up.

OK confession time, who would of listened to that show without being educated in skydiving, and believed it?

I'm raising my hand :$

On the other hand its now opened my eyes as to how much BS a TV show will make just for viewings.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Lets see that... video is at least 10 years, maybe more like 15 years old, I believe. The DZ is recognizable to those familiar.

Yep, the guy (student) gets a hold of the cut-away and pulls it just as the main side jumpmaster dumps his (the student's) main. ... so, do the math, as the main deploys, 3-rings disconnect, goodbye main. I wasn't there, so I won't sepeculate as to the jumpmasters actions before, during and after. Obviously no RSL... and as I recall this was in the days before mandatory RSLs on student rigs was enforced.

Real bummer about the power lines...

That guy was backflying on his first jump...that's what I call progression!

On my AFF1 in 1996, I did three practice rip cord touches. At pull time, I reached for and located the cut away handle. Stewie, the main side JM, had to grab my hand and put it on the rip cord.

My AFF1 VHS tape looks real similiar to that video...instructors, jumpsuits, the whole nine yards.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

>>Obviously no RSL... and as I recall this was in the days before mandatory RSLs on student rigs was enforced.<<

Sorry, but that's a load of baloney . . . LOL.

See below for a post I wrote last year concerning Lutz's jump.

BTW, on your RSL statement, I made my first jump in 1975 with a RSL (then called a Stevens lanyard.) And in all the DZs I've worked at since the 80s I've never seen a FJC student put out without an RSL. (Although I'm sure there are some backasswards DZs that probably did so).

Anyway . . . here's the old post.

- As for the Lutz (Sparky) thing I was there and working with another student at the time it occurred.

Moley is the main/side JM and Rocky is reserve/side JM. Both are excellent AFF Instructors and good friends of mine but neither are internet types. We had a "murder session" after this incident and if they posted here they would each say the following.

To be fair to Lutz many FJC students try to pull the wrong handle but JMs can usually correct that mistake. The rigs are student Talons and the main ripcord and cutaway pud can be fairly close together. In the hanging harness' Perris used at the time they weren't close together at all.

A lot of things went wrong on this jump.

The first of course was the student skipping the "look" part of the pull sequence, the second was his first jump instructor (I won't name him as he's no longer among the living) not teaching how different a soft pud feels from a hard knob. The third is Lutz fighting Moley from repositioning his hand.

After Lutz pulled the cutaway handle Moley correctly deployed the student's main. That's SOP. The idea is the RSL will now deploy the reserve.

Now two more out of the ordinary things happened.

Perris is using snap shackles to attach the RSL and the shackle somehow came open before pulling up on the reserve cable. (They use connector links now.) The next thing is Rocky on reserve side didn't notice Moley stayed in position after the main deployment bag lifted off, something mainside isn't supposed to do. This might have been a tip off something wasn't right. Rocky let go (a bit early) and turned to track as Lutz is pulled from his grasp, but before the Three rings released. Technically reserve side's responsibility ends at line stretch not bag lift.

If Moley had left after deploying the main, and then Rocky did what he did, Lutz would have probably gone in. At the time Perris had a single AAD (they were FXCs) attached to the mains and they are set for 3500-feet. That idea in itself is another whole can of worms . . .

Moley then dropped down into Lutz's sight line, with Koji, the cameraman in hot pursuit. Moley began making pulling motions on his own reserve handle. That's the only thing that saved Lutz as he was totally freaked at that point, had no ADD, and no clue what to do next. He finally pulled the reserve handle at Moley's urging and the rest is how you see it in the video. He paid no attention to the radio or the instruction he had about canopy control earlier in the day . . .

For those who haven't seen the video Lutz ended up in the power lines (hence the name "Sparky") with the final indignity being Lutz was also a lawyer . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

OK confession time, who would of listened to that show without being educated in skydiving, and believed it?

I'm raising my hand :$

On the other hand its now opened my eyes as to how much BS a TV show will make just for viewings.

I'm raising mine too. I wouldnt have known any better either. AMAZING what a little education and not talking (or reporting/showing on tv) out of your ass will do. Thats the kind of crap that gives our wonderful sport such a bad name.

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

Obviously no RSL... and as I recall this was in the days before mandatory RSLs on student rigs was enforced.

AFAIK, the RSL shackle failed. This prompted the DZ to replace all RSL shackles with rapide links.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.