ntrprnr

How "In Shape" are we as Skydivers?

So I was being killed by my Satan Trainer this morning, and I started thinking... How in shape are we as a skydiving community?

I mean, when you think about it - "Sports" as a whole, is something involving you being in somewhat decent shape. You run, you need to be in shape enough to carry your mass from point A to point B in a time range set. You swim, same thing. You bike, same thing. Hell, even speed walking or power walking - same thing.

Basketball, baseball, football, soccer, etc... They all involve a level of fitness to be considered "decent" or "good" at the sport, right? If I were 300 pounds and subsisted on Doritos and Pepsi, I wouldn't be so good at football.

But - I could still skydive, right? And I could be really good at it!

So how fit are we? As a sport, in general. Do we work out? Do we care? Do we do it to feel better, look better, get laid more? (Hell, that's why I lost a ton of weight in the first place.)

Finally, do we work out/get in shape to be a better skydiver? If so, how? Core, I'm guessing, would be most important - good abs, back, etc. For RW, Freeflying, right? I mean, you don't need 18-inch biceps to pull...

Just a thought.

Would love to hear comments, thoughts. What else do we do physically other than skydiving? Running? Anyone ever done marathons? Triathlons?

I'll start - I've completed a bunch of marathons and triathlons, run a bunch of races... All for sanity - the more I run, I find, the less other crap stresses me out. Same thing with skydiving.

Irony of all this is, I'm not hottest/buffest person on the drop zone, by far. My motto is, "I don't run really fast, I just have an incredibly high tolerance for pain."

Anyone else?

ntrprnr

PS: Moderators: If you think this should be better posted somewhere else, my apologies, and feel free!

I do kickboxing twice a week for approx 2.5 hours
Gym 3 times a week, Swimming, cycling, weights and stretching.
Try get to pilates.

Damn, does lots of sex get you to loose weight?

Summer is coming, I need a sixpack stomach!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Let's see...workout is usually 4 times a week (sometimes 5 if I get really ambitious) and is a combination of the following:

• yoga
  • elliptical cross-trainer
  • treadmill for when I feel like walking/running
  • martial arts
  • aerobics
  • outdoors walking/running/(need to get back into rock climbing) *outdoors stuff getting to a point of being on-hold until it warms up :D
  • weight training

Definitely not in perfect shape (i.e. could stand to lose about 5-10 pounds), but I still fit in my size 4's.
    Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Damn, does lots of sex get you to loose weight?

If it takes up so much of your time that it causes you to miss meals, then I'm sure it does.;)
    "There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If I were 300 pounds and subsisted on Doritos and Pepsi, I wouldn't be so good at football.

But - I could still skydive, right? And I could be really good at it!

You could still skydive, but I don't think you'd ever be really good at it. The people who I think are really good skydivers are in good to excellent physical condition - look at the folks competing at the World Cup right now, doubt you'll see any who appear to exist on Doritos and Pepsi.

One area where skydiving differs from other sports is that doing most other sports improves your physical condition - the more you run, bike, swim, skate, the better shape you get into. Doesn't work that way with jumping.

imho, skydiving does improve mental condition, and I've known quite a few people for whom jumping has been the impetus for losing weight/getting into better shape.

Personally I don't fit into your poll options (there's always at least one person who has to post that for every poll ;):D). I walk 1/2 mile to a mile pretty much every morning, and that's about it.

look at the folks competing at the World Cup right now, doubt you'll see any who appear to exist on Doritos and Pepsi.

Is that because they spent all their money on jumping?

better conditioning should correlate well to good flexibility and body awareness, which are probably the more valuable characteristics for success.

If jump tickets ever get weight based, I bet we'd see a revolution for weekend jumpers. In between every load people would be working up a sweat.

I rarely hit the gym, and quite frankly - I'm not in very good shape.

In the summer my weekend jumping is the majority of my exercise. I do walk a few miles each day, but I don't think that adds up to much.

I'm a pretty good skydiver. I can fall effectively and with skill in a variety of positions. I'm a very good canopy pilot, by any amateur standard.

I am not at the same level in anything that I do as any of the national competitors, but that's fine - I'm not a national competitor. The only thing keeping me from being a national compeditor is funds and jumps. I have no doubt if I cared to be at that level, given enough money and jumps, I could be.

Being in less than perfect shape has not held me back.

_Am
    __

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I do cardio specifically for skydiving, not because it's a particularly demanding sport (unless you count me running from the plane to the packing area back to the plane because I forgot my lift ticket... again :S), but because it helps me keep a clear head and stay focused when I need to. I also lift because there's always the potential of faceplanting on an off-DZ landing going downwind or something equally crappy, and being strong helps you be less likely to be injured. Granted, I tried to stay in shape before I started skydiving, I'm just more serious about it now.

I'm between the first two options. I run 4.5 miles at about 8 min pace Mon & Wed. Hopefully play Ultimate Frisbee Tue & Thurs during lunch, and I try to do at least 30 min of yoga in the evening, but have been somewhat lazy about it of late.

How "In Shape" are we as Skydivers?

Round is a Shape isnt it??:P

Honestly I think I am in excellent shape for my Age. People generaly guess I am 10 years younger than I am. I was blessed with good genetics and even though I spend all my time at a Desk and am getting waaaay to close to 40 years old, It hasnt started showing on my waist line yet (Too much anyway!! The Once Solid 6-Pack is now bagged to go:P but otherwise I am pretty happy with my Condition).

far as staying in shape... Eat less, Move more. Anything else is just a gimmick.

"work ou at least 4 times a week...."

When would you get a chance to go to work? I don't have any time in my schedule to work out. I leave my house at 5am and get back after 6pm during the work week. And thats if its just a straight 40 hour week with no overtime. How does anyone find the time to work out that much? I am starting to envy people with spare time.

I don't really get to choose where I work. If we are lucky enough to get a job in my area I go. A "close" job is anything less that 60 miles away. Since I am an electrician needing to carry my own tools and such a bicycle isn't really an option. Wish it was. For the last 5 years I have been looking for a job and/or a new place to live but haven't had much luck. All the places I want to live don't seem to have the capacity to provide me with a way to make a living. I would settle for living closer to the DZ as that is 100 miles in the opposite direction of the area that supplies most of our work. Even though I do whine about this, it could be a lot worse. I do have a job and I live in a nice area. I have a dream though, that someday I will find a job within five miles of home.

I voted Gym 4 or more times a week.

Skydiving was one of the things that actually motivated me to lose weight and get in shape. head-down was getting really frustrated when I was sinking out on everyone. Now I've got great range, and stronger arms help with my head-down too.

Now that I'm in decent shape I'm finding I've got interests in some other activities like hiking and back-packing.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

"I jump. I fall to the earth. That's enough activity for me."

I'll admit to being a member of the lazy bumb brigade.

When I fly wigsuits or do physical labor, I actually do enjoy feeling sore the next few days. I just get bored of working out for the sake of working out.

Definitely not in perfect shape (i.e. could stand to lose about 5-10 pounds), but I still fit in my size 4's.

You're shitting me!
    You are in HOT shape, nice arse, great tatas, nice legs, and nice tummy:)
    You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
    My Life ROCKS!
    How's yours doing?