grue

I hate packing SO GOD DAMNED MUCH [mad]

Dude there is nothing wrong with using big rubberbands. You just want some tension on the lines so that you don't get the line dump thingy.

Sweet. I'll change those tomorrow if I go to the DZ. I think that's why I'm snapping bands so often, is that the pullup cord is too abrasive to be using on rubber like that.
cavete terrae.

You can use big bands on all of your stows if you want to, but if the stow is loose then you may want to double wrap it.

The 'outer' two locking stows aren't nearly as much of a problem, typically, but the 'inner' two make me feel like... well, I'm gonna quote Sin City here: "Like a palsy victim trying to do heart surgery with a pipe wrench"

I think I figured out a trick for the actual canopy part of things, though. when I've got the canopy in "heart shape" mode, I lay on the middle, then roll right, which squeezes the air out of the 'right' ear. Then I fold it over, and repeat to the left. Then I roll it as fast as I can before the little bugger realises what I'm up to :D
cavete terrae.

You're using small rubber bands on the locking stows :D

First let me say this... packing your canopy would be easy.. you're simply a spaz;)

Not serious, I heard it was a pretty tight fit. Being new to packing makes it even more of a challenge.

Actually the flat packing suggestion is a good one. However, if you don't know how, then it's still trouble.

The tail is only rolled to help keep the slider in place. If the slider is up all the way... then it's up all the way. If it's down an inch or 2 even with the tail rolled. It will get your attention at opening. Just be sure it's up all the way before you close the bag.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You're using small rubber bands on the locking stows :D

First let me say this... packing your canopy would be easy.. you're simply a spaz;)

Not serious, I heard it was a pretty tight fit. Being new to packing makes it even more of a challenge.

Actually the flat packing suggestion is a good one. However, if you don't know how, then it's still trouble.

The tail is only rolled to help keep the slider in place. If the slider is up all the way... then it's up all the way. If it's down an inch or 2 even with the tail rolled. It will get your attention at opening. Just be sure it's up all the way before you close the bag.

Good luck.

I know how to flat pack, in fact that's what I did for probably 30 out of my jumps, but the problem lies in the fact that I'm used to having packing tabs, and the canopy's just too slippery to keep everything under control when I'm trying to do it otherwise.
cavete terrae.

I'm glad you feel my pain hehe...

I cleverly decided that i was going to *practise packing* before going to Perris next week, as a result my canopy is randomly open and i really don't want to try and pack it again... hmmm...

but i guess it serves me right for getting a new 190 and trying to stuff it in a bag smaller than the average 150 hehe

I like the way I pack the best;) $7 and I'm on the next load Fresh and ready to jump. I am old and fat and my knees hate me so Packin' ain't for me. Besides Annie and Christian rock (Not bad lookin either;)) I would much rather pay them (and I tip well) to make sure I am on whatever load I want to be on then get on my hands and knees.

I expect people to chime in with the bs about not being a real skydiver BS but screw that. I have 368 Jumps in 2 1/4 years and only packed 3 times (ones that I actually jumped) so you can say what ya like but I LOVE MY PACKERS!!!!!!B|

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I was in the same boat... and it was sinking fast. Brand new ZP 190, very little packing experience... New rig, new chutes, new jumper....

I remember my first solo packjob (after like the 3 times where people at the DZ helped me bag it) took about 2 hours.

It was so ugly, but I figured hell, the lines were straight, and the stows weren't too bad, so I jumped it. Gave me some confidence.

MY DZ had packers but they were usually too busy... So I got used to doing it. Think I packed it about 40 times now.

It gets easier... slowly... even though mine still looks like hell going into the bag sometimes, but the openings have been pretty good, mostly on heading and not too hard.

So grab a beer, and try again. Good luck!

by the way, I propack and got it down to about 15 minutes... now i can make every other load and winter comes... doh!

When you are breaking your locking stows so much just trying to pack, you are likely to have them break before they do their job.

I think you should not jump that until you replace the bands with bigger/longer/tandem/whatever rubber bands, or even better tube stows of an appropriate length. I describe how to make your own here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1781518#1781518
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

My DZ doesn't have packers, so if you don't pack for yourself, you're not gonna jump [Crazy]

So learn to pack properly! It's a pain in the arse, but it'll stand you in good stead.

Oh, and I've been packing a brand-new airlocked 170 this weekend. It slows me down a little, but it's no big deal if your technique is good... so take your time & sort your technique out.

What's that disease that Stan gets in the southpark episode where they are trying to save all the little calves from being turned into veal? I can never remember what it was called... What was it again? ;)

*cough* sounds like it might be a case of that.:P

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

You just want some tension on the lines so that you don't get the line dump thingy.

All you need are the 2 locking stows to keep the canopy in the bag until line stretch. Line dump is a myth. If it were real you would have line dump with every reserve deployment. The only reason you stow the lines is to stage the deployment, not to meter it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've been siting on this one for a while. But Its time to speak out.
When I got my new canopy a few months back(May) I couldn't pack it to save my life. I asked an instuctor at SD Oregon to help me. He showed me his method once(talked me thorugh it). After that I had no problem baging it folowing what he did(Not a phycho pack) Since then I have been to many DZ's and I haven't seen anyone use the same technique, and often other jumpers say "Wow, look at that pretty pack job.(Kinda sarcastic)"
2 weekends ago a guy came in with a brand new right out of the bag Sabre2 190. I watched him try to bag it for 2 hours without sucsess. I asked him If I could have a try. Using the same thechnique I was taught in Oregon I took it from a pile of shit on the floor to a nicely baged canopy in less than 3 min.

Now, I unpacked it and went over the proces with this guy step by step but he couldn't seem to get it. He eventualy threw it in his trunk unpacked.
So are some of us just really shity teachers or are some of us just un coordinated?

Sorry for all the Spelling Erors, Its late......

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so I may be repeating stuff here.....

Sounds to me like you have 2 problems:

1) The canopy is too big (or on the big side) for the bag; this is always going to make closing it harder.

2) You are loosing control over the fabric (yeah, I know, obvious...)

On point 1); the bag isn't going to get any bigger (hopefully its not dangerously small, but I am going to "assume" :S that you've checked this out. Which means that technique is the only thing that will solve your problem.

On point 2); when I transitioned from F111 to Zero-P at about 350 jumps, I had loads and loads of trouble packing - and this was on all new kit made to fit the canopy sizes I ordered. I was shown several methods of bagging it by very experienced jumpers, but the pivotal point of my learning curve (and this sounds very simplistic) was: never EVER. At all. Not even a little bit. Let go of the material until the first locking stow is in place. This does take some discipline; it is very common to release some pressure when you a distracted i.e. by making the bag ready etc. If you make sure that during the points in the bagging process where you have to use your hands to do something else, use all other available limbs to control the canopy - knees/thighs/spare hand/whatever.

Having said all that, if you are psycho packing I would imagine this is harder because you need both hands to roll the canopy. I don't psycho pack, so I'm not qualified to comment, but the S-fold method does allow you to use your knees to help contain the material, and also allows pressure on the canopy at all times.

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I just wanted to add my .02... I HATE PACKING I am the official trash packer of our DZ... and that was with a well worn canopy... my brand new pilot 190 is about to arrive and I know I am going to suffer.. but i will get it in the bag one way or another...I have no problem asking for help when putting it in the D-bag... And nobody complains since they know how i normally pack...:D But all of my openings have been superb.. it seems like the uglier i pack the better it opens... anybody else have that experience? I hear its pretty common!!!:)

blue skies and happy openings!
dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733