Mike111

Most expensive bit of gear you have lost?

But this year I've "lost": remote for Sony handycam, GPS unit, Carrera sunglasses (out of the showers!), Manfrotto quick release topplate & special screw, 2 A/V cables, a handy small screwdriver that was on my keychain, and a camerabag.Not funny, and if I see my Carrera anywhere >:(>:(>:(

Lost at the DZ... most expensive... a packboy I guess...
Lost somewhere in my car : my protrack.
Lost "from my car" : Sony PC8, Sony .6 wide angle, waycool .25 wide angle, Canon Rebel XT, 256Mb cf card, Manfrotto plate, chargers, spare batteries for both, firewire cables, videotape with 2 unedited tandems which I have to reimburse.... Oh yeah, and a window for the car too... This one wasn't really lost, just a bit puzzled :|:|:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Travis,

After hearing your story of the lost cutaway, and many others... I have been harboring this idea... You know those little VHF transmitters they put on wild animals to track migrations of animals for science.... Well, I have not done a cost analysis yet to determine if it would be worthwhile, but, I am sure there is a corner of the DBag where the transmitter could be inserted in a pocket. Cutaway your main, track it like an animal, straight to Farmer McNasty's front door...;)

I was wondering about the same, but it was too expensive....

If the DZ, or a group of experienced jumpers owned one receiver, the cost would go down a lot...

I bet you could get transmitters for $100 or so, maybe much less... Those scientists can't spend too much to follow turtles... Perhaps one of the companies that makes skydiving specific electronics could figure out a transmitter...

What were the costs you found????

I was wondering about the same, but it was too expensive....

If the DZ, or a group of experienced jumpers owned one receiver, the cost would go down a lot...

I bet you could get transmitters for $100 or so, maybe much less... Those scientists can't spend too much to follow turtles... Perhaps one of the companies that makes skydiving specific electronics could figure out a transmitter...

What were the costs you found????

I was just thinking if the DZ would get a tracking system, and issue transmitters to each jumper who wants one, to attach to their main, either at the Dbag, pilot chute or a riser, nobody would lose their mains forever, then at the end of the weekend give the transmitter back to the DZ... something like that...

If we had something like that at Lake Wales the week before last, it wouldn't have taken us 45 minutes to find my main along with help from a pilot circling the swamp looking for it... just triangulate the location and make a beeline for it...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Myne - lost the alti in the landing field having taken it off!

I "lost" my altimeter when a lowtimer on his first attempted 7-way grabbed my hand so hard that it came off. I freed my hand and tracked away like hell. Very strange feelingto be in freefall without an alti - although a mind-sharp co-diver followed me and "held hands" with me - showing me HIS alti until pull altitude (PLUS it was one of my first dives with my audible, so, I really didn't have reason to worry, but I did).

Someone has the video of this jump, showing my alti getting lost - and I kind of cherish the thought that it lies there somewhere in the tunisian sand waiting to be found... oh well, the joy of the "firsts"...

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

Most expensive bit of gear you have lost?

i know someone who lost a testicle.

I think that guy wins...er...maybe not.

More of a pain in the ass than expensive-
A guy I know has to replace the contents of his wallet after losing it in freefall this weekend. He got to see it open up and flutter away on the video. [:/]

Early 80s. Entire rig (Classyflyer, Lite Cloud main, Comet Reserve), two jumpsuits, Altimaster II & III, helmet, rigging kit and all my logbooks in gear bag fell off my motorcycle while I was riding to the DZ. Didn't notice it was missing until arriving at the DZ. Immediatly retraced the entire route but never found any trace of it.

The upside was that my insurance payed for replacement of all the equipment but there was no way to replace the memories recorded in those logbooks. :(

I still wonder what happened to all that stuff. :S
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.