c0mpletec0ntrol

FIRST JUMP - 17,400 FEET! please comment!

sweet jesus, i just had the greatest experience of my entire life. My friend Julia and i get to the dropzone at around 2:00, watch the video, which was a huge buzz kill because it was some lawyer talking about the waiver. After that it went into some information about the actual jump and the equipment, which made me feel like i was in good hands because they used the term "state of the art." We ended up waiting around for a while, which was good because we got to see people jumping and how the landings worked and whatnot. It turned out we were on the last jump of the day. We met up with our instructors, geared up, found out what to do, and asked questions. My instructor, taught me all there is to know. I figured we were going to have a pretty typical jump, going up to about 10,000 feet with a freefall of about 40 seconds. Then said that because this was the last jump of the season, we were going to "the edge of space" and because i wanted a halo jump, i got one. he and i get onto the plane, the pilot creeps by and tells us we have a treat in store for us, which translated into jumping from 17,400 feet. RIDICULOUS! Even my instructor was excited because, even though it was preplanned, this was going to be the highest tandem jump of the season (or longer). It took about 25 minutes to get up to altitude, but then the door flew open, and people started pouring out the plane. If you've ever thought to yourself "oh shit what the hell am i doing?" looking out the open door of a plane at over 3 miles up give a whole different perspective. It was fucking COLD! it was below freezing in the plane because apparently you lose 3 degrees fahrenheit for every 1000 feet. We slimed our way on over to the edge of the door, and got into position. 1...2...3 and we were out. We decided to eject from the plane in style, and did a front flip, into a back flip, into a front flip, and end off in the arch. we were cruisin usa, and it was absolutely indescribable for those who know the feeling who have done it before. It feels nothing like falling... its probably the closest thing to flying that i'll ever be able to experience. No G forces exerted on me, and its the BIGGEST RUSH I HAVE EVER HAD! the cold air swooping all around me, the feeling that there is nothing there to support me, in complete free fall, barrel assing towards the earth. At that point my instructor took my arms and pulled them back so that we were in a pencil dive, and he later on said that we reached about 140 mph. THAT WAS INSANE! it honestly feels like you're superman rocketing through the air! My instructor then instructed me to pull the rip chord, and i executed that order with utmost professionalism. When that thing shot off his back, it was like i was being shot out of a cannon with upward acceleration. The next 8 minutes or so was the most peaceful part of the jump, just gliding down towards the ground, although we were flipping out at how awesome that jump was. It turned out that our free fall lasted for 2 entire minutes, (going between 120 and 140 mph) and we went over 2 miles (12,000 feet) I'm so fortunate because thats an extremely rare occurrance. The landing was a nice and easy slider, which basically feels like you're jumping off a chair. The moral of the story is that i can't wait to do it again. As you can see, its extremely difficult to put into words, but it changed my life. My instructor gave me my certificate, and wrote "17,400 Ft!" on it. On the ride home, i called some family, who were happy that i told them after the fact, but they were proud of me. But Julia and i couldn't stop talking about it. I've heard stories before, but you really just need to experience it in order to really appreciate it. I can safely say that i'm addicted now, and have found my calling in life. This is going to be one expensive hobby, but its well worth it. I need to get out and ride a bike or something... i can't sit here!

Welcome to our world! High altitude jumps rock. You can find places that will take you up to 22,500 with O2 hookups in the plane (Boogie event or organized in advance) and if you're really daring you can hit 29,000 in TN (used to be higher, but the FAA put a new limit on it). That requires additional ground training, hyperbaric chamber testing for hypoxia and you look like a friggin space alien with the helmet, facemask, O2 bottles on the belly. I gotta do that one sometime (with video/stills, of course).

Hey man thats awesome. It's good to know you had a good experience. My first jump was at 14,000 ft. It was incredible also. I was also the last jump of the day. so they decided to take it a little higher than usual. and maybe because i had waited for 3 and a half hours to go.. they were a little behind on jumps.. I have also found my hobby, skydiving! its going to be a journey to say the least. im about to start my aff course here in the next month or so. can't wait! i really wish i could find a place that would let me jump from 17,400, maybe even higher. well hey, good luck with everything and keep us updated on your jumps.

Yep, high altitude jumps are a trip. Highest I've been with normal skydiving gear (oxygen in aircraft, no bailout bottle) was 26,000 feet. Biggest problem we had at that altitude wasn't hypoxia, but the temperature (-34F.) Our faceplates would frost over a few seconds after exit. Highest jump I've made is 30,000 feet; that required oxygen in the aircraft and a bailout bottle. At those altitudes the sky starts to turn purplish, and 99% of weather (and most of the atmosphere) is below you.

Highest jump I've made is 30,000 feet; that required oxygen in the aircraft and a bailout bottle. At those altitudes the sky starts to turn purplish, and 99% of weather (and most of the atmosphere) is below you.

30,000 ft rocks. Done a few...unfortunately had a lot more gear on than just he O2 setup.;)
Congrats on your first HALO, exciting world up there.
Blue skies
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

i don't want to rain on anybodies parade... but, a freefall of 12,000 feet would take about 1 minute, not two?

12,000 actually gets me around 40 if I belly it all the way down and pull at 3k.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

At the WFFC it is 30K for Halo.

We got out at 30.5K and -41F. Mullins ground speed was something like 265MPH, but the exit felt no different than a diving exit out of an Otter due to the thin air. Freefall time was only 2 min 15 sec because we were honkin' at the top. Halo jumpmaster and I turned 6 2-way points and then enjoyed the view from above 17K.

Getting up at 4AM to suit up and prebreathe Oxy was a pain in the butt though!

Blue skies,

Jim

I got 104 seconds freefall after exiting at 22,500 at Z Hills last year... We were told to pull higher than normal (so I pulled at 4k)..

Altis don't work as normal above something like 15k (I think) - I can't remember what height it was showing on exit but it was a long way off from what it should have been
B|

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Hey man thats awesome. We had a boogie this weekend and I got to do a coaching jump from 14,300' out of a casa on jump number 15. It was the most fun I have ever had. I was supposed to leave shortly after my coach(one second), but someone got in my way. I eneded up leaving about five seconds after her. I dont know how I caught up, I just went delta and locked on to the dot I belived to be her. That was Possibly the fastest I have ever been. Tons-O-Fun

It turned out that our free fall lasted for 2 entire minutes, (going between 120 and 140 mph) and we went over 2 miles (12,000 feet)

on average, it takes 5 seconds to freefall 1000 feet... so i make a 12,000 foot freefall last 1 minute :S

or have i got it wrong?