canopycandy

Car stolen -- GEAR IN TRUNK

My car was stolen from my home in Palm Springs, Ca. last night.

Fortunately, my rig was not in the car, but a lot of other stuff was.

I already put some of my things in the stolen listings (my Pro-Dytter, my Neptune, my Alti III), but I couldn't figure out how to list my other things.

If you happen to see these items on eBay or elsewhere, they are mine:

White Aviator helmet (size medium). Dytter and Neptune were inside the helmet. There's a Hello Kitty sticker on one side, two small cat stickers on the back and one sticker on the back that says "sexy." (Though these would be easy to remove.)

Tony Space Suit -- black with cloud print down the arms and legs.

Goggles. USPA license, etc. all in a gear bag.

Also, my new Canon Digital Rebel XT was in the car, inside a red and black camera bag.

None of this stuff is covered by my car insurance, and I don't have a homeowner's policy. I was also too dumb to write down the serial numbers -- I kept thinking that I would do it later.

If you could help me recover any of these things, I would be forever grateful. I'm so angry and feel so violated. Somebody had the nerve to steal my 1994 white Honda Civic from my DRIVEWAY while I was sleeping.

Thanks.

I can be reached at [email protected].

The number of the detective at the Palm Springs Police Department is (760) 778-8411.

I'll be keeping an eye out as well.

Here's a scary story similar to your situation...my car was broken into overnight at a friends house with all of my gear in the trunk...2 brand new complete rigs, video gear, and a friends set of expensive golf clubs. Next morning came out to find the radio ripped out of the dash, my cd case with about 100 cds stolen, inside of my car ripped to shreds, trunk open but all of my gear and clubs still in it...main container on one rig opened with a couple of stows undone. Only thing we could guess was that they either got interrupted or they were kids on bikes and couldn't haul that much stuff. They must not have seen the camera gear under the other stuff. Scary thing was my insurance would not have covered any of it and I was living in the dorms on a military base so no homeowners either...I would have been out about 15K with no way to work at the dz anymore. My friends car was parked a couple spaces down from mine and they got her stereo and cds as well.
I hate thieves...
Miami

Dang dude ... count yourself extremely lucky. I just moved to Vancouver BC and it's been kind of disturbing to hear of all the car break in's which occur here. So rest assured I will NOT be leaving anything of significant value in my Jeep and I'm tempted to leave the Jeep unlocked to prevent some crack head from breaking my windows. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm not so worried about someone steeling my Jeep. I'm more worried about some crack head breaking the windows to steal whatever. So you're trying to tell me that my insurance will be invalidated if someone opens an already open door? What kind of logic is that? How are the police to say that the they obtained access by opening an already open door or if they access it by using a shimmy stick. Your logic doesn't make much sense. Are you trying to tell me to follow the rules of others when it's clear that the insurance companies are going to fuck me up the ass no matter what?

Getting back on track, I'm sorry to originator of this thread for their loss. That sucks. Good luck trying to find the thiefs, except that the thiefs don't play by the rules that everyone else is supposed to play by. I'm afraid your stuff is likely gone never to be seen again. But you never know ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels. It happened to me in 1997 at a motel. All my gear was in the car. Police found the car a week later with most of the valuable stuff missing. I've never seen any of my stuff again... >:(>:(>:(

I hope you're luckier than me...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't know how often stolen gear is recovered, but it seems like it must be very rare, because we seldom hear about it.

Even if it is extremely rare, I think it should be a HUGE news story because it might discourage potential thieves, at least to the point of making it hard to sell it directly or "fence" it. I would certainly be checking out the pawn shops.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hey Maggie I just read your post that really sucks!!!
I wish there was something that I could do, Im on line alot looking for gear so I will keep a look out for your stuff. We miss you back here in Indiana and wish nothing but the best for you and Jason.

See YA Later

SKYBOMB!!
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

In order to make an insurance claim for your stolen vehicle, a police report must be filed. The police always ask if the doors were locked. If they were not locked, you can not claim it from your insurance. Period. If you say that they were, you can. However, when the vehicle is recovered, that's the first thing they will check. They can tell if there was forced entry or not. Trust me they can, I work in insurance. If you claimed for a stolen car and got paid, and they later discover that the doors were unlocked, you will be made to pay it all back to the insurance company.

As you've said, you're not worried about the Jeep getting stolen, just busted-ass windows.

I used to drive a 1990 Jeep YJ. It had a soft top and half-soft doors in the hardtop. I always left them unlocked because I feared them being slashed.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I don't know how often stolen gear is recovered, but it seems like it must be very rare, because we seldom hear about it.

Even if it is extremely rare, I think it should be a HUGE news story because it might discourage potential thieves, at least to the point of making it hard to sell it directly or "fence" it. I would certainly be checking out the pawn shops.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Half the stolen parachutes land in dumpsters.
Much of the stolen gear - that remains in service - gets returned by riggers or Airtec.
Hint: don-t waste your time sending a stolen 4-year-old to SSK for inspection, because you will never get it back.
Funniest incident was a few years back, when some punks broke into our hangar and stole 6 rigs - mostly antiques. They were stupid enough to try selling them to a retired skydiver (who was also a member of a group of motorcycle enthusiasts who prefer no to be named). Five of the six rigs returned to the DZ a few days later "no questions asked."

That is not completly true. They cannot tell if the theif is skilled enough. My uncle is a licenced lock-smith and can be inside your car in under a minute with out any damage or forced entry. This is where insurance companies just try to get out of paying the bill.>:( It scares people sometimes of how easy it is for him to get in.

Chris

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Hi Nick, sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not true at all. For example, if you leave the keys in your car, car running while you run into the store for smokes and someone jumps in and steals it, it's covered.

If you leave your gear in the back seat with the doors unlocked and someone steals it, your property insurance will cover it. (as long as you got a decent policy)

Dayle

Growing up in NYC teaches you to a) always lock your doors, and b) never leave anything inside.

When I go visit friends, they break their hands trying to open my doors. They can't understand why I'd ever lock my car doors. I shake my head and sigh.

Sorry, Mags - that sucks. :-( Hope they find your stuff, and have the person who did it have to wear a sign for the rest of his life.

when I saw a new post on the thread I hoped it was Maggie saying things had been recovered. Unfortunately not:(. I know you are involved in all sorts of other stuff at the moment so really don't need this, I do know though that you will get through everything with that big smile on your face in the end that you greeted me with in Perris last month!

The people who did this deserve to look like this B| once we're done with them! >:(

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Thanks for all the kind messages.

The car was locked, windows up, under my carport in a very quiet part of Palm Springs. The cop even said, "I had to look up directions to your place, because this is such a nice neighborhood, we never come over here!"

Super. That just means the thieves felt safe while they were stealing my car.

The cop asked if I had been to an oil change place or had my car valet parked recently -- both of which I had done just a few days prior to the theft.

He said a lot of thieves work in such places -- they make a copy of the car key and get your address from something in the car. (Or, in the case of the oil change place, they already had my address on file.)

I did get up in the air this weekend, though. As my friend Lew pointed out, if I didn't skydive, the thieves would have won.

I borrowed enough stuff to make do, but soon I'll have to start buying new stuff.

I'm tempted to leave the Jeep unlocked to prevent some crack head from breaking my windows. :S

That won't help anyway. I had my truck unlocked in my driveway and the bastards broke a window anyway to steal the stereo I had installed a week before.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I did get up in the air this weekend, though. As my friend Lew pointed out, if I didn't skydive, the thieves would have won.

I borrowed enough stuff to make do, but soon I'll have to start buying new stuff.

I'll have to borrow/buy stuff if I jump this weekend too. Sux!

The cop asked if I had been to an oil change place or had my car valet parked recently -- both of which I had done just a few days prior to the theft.

He said a lot of thieves work in such places -- they make a copy of the car key and get your address from something in the car. (Or, in the case of the oil change place, they already had my address on file.)

Yep, this is true. I have known a few people that have done this. Car stereo installation business as well. I used to have a friend that would go to full service carwash and get in the car as it was rolling out and just drive away! He nailed about 10 cars and never got caught!:D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"