"Ottawa drafting skydiving rules - Calgary fatality inquiry sparks new proposal"

That's right, create a massive new and expensive bureaucracy in response to a non-existent problem.

----------------
The report to the Alberta justice minister and attorney general said Transport Canada should immediately establish regulations governing skydiving -- encompassing licensing and certification, standardizing training, supervision, record-keeping and equipment.

Lapierre told CanWest News Service on Friday that Transport Canada was "right now drafting potential regulations.

"Obviously this is not a transport matter per se, because it's a very limited number of people, but we're looking at a regulatory regime," he added.

----------------

Story here.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Slightly more detail coming from the CBC here.

Transport Canada says the rules should be ready this winter, and that part of the lengthy delay in releasing them can be attributed to the department dealing with the aftermath of major events, such as Sept. 11. Stevenson's report says the mistake made at the Skydive Ranch the day Kanji died include:

* Kanji's parachute being packed by untrained staff, who weren't adequately supervised.
* Inadequate training for first-time jumpers regarding malfunctions that may occur.
* Kanji wasn't properly instructed in the proper way and time to deploy her reserve parachute.
* The equipment used by Kanji wasn't maintained to the manufacturer's original standards, and had been altered without manufacturer approval.

Stevenson also said the Skydive Ranch withheld some information from the RCMP, such as the last half of the video of Kanji's jump from the plane. During the inquiry, the former owner of the ranch said Kanji hadn't listened to instructions designed to help her land safely and denied he let students pack chutes.

My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

No, you can be sure that if it came to regulating skydiving, the FAA would just ban it out right rather than spend ANY money at all to regulate it. I have been told that by more than one FAA person.:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717