reynolds

Incident statistics for varying disciplines

Just wondering if anyone has ever collated the injuries/fatalities from the varying disciplines (CRW, Skysurfing, Freefly etc) to determine which has the highest probability of something going wrong. I appreciate you could'nt take the results to literally due to the numbers of participants (i.e there are more Formation Skydivers than CRW flyers and therefore statistically the incident level for the former must be greater). There are also other factors to consider, like experience level, freak weather conditions etc. I know the insurance industry had a formula for determining risk factors in 'dangerous sports' which was not based on the number of participants (both horse riding and scuba diving came out worse than skydiving.) I'm only curious because most people see CRW dogs as slightly mad, because of the risks of wraps and entanglements, yet the actual injury level in this group seems (to me) very small. Views?

I don't think compiling incidents into categories of disciplines would provide anything useful to our community. Are you really going to choose a different discipline because of differing incident rates? Besides, most people are aware of the increased dangers posed by the various disciplines.

.-.

Well, stats are there to offer different perspectives and can add to the breakdown that is already compiled. I think it could provide some insight and show trends and in turn, give some value

THAT SAID, this should probably be over in Safety and Training since this is not about a specific incident.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Just wondering if anyone has ever collated the injuries/fatalities from the varying disciplines (CRW, Skysurfing, Freefly etc) to determine which has the highest probability of something going wrong. I appreciate you could'nt take the results to literally due to the numbers of participants (i.e there are more Formation Skydivers than CRW flyers and therefore statistically the incident level for the former must be greater). There are also other factors to consider, like experience level, freak weather conditions etc. I know the insurance industry had a formula for determining risk factors in 'dangerous sports' which was not based on the number of participants (both horse riding and scuba diving came out worse than skydiving.) I'm only curious because most people see CRW dogs as slightly mad, because of the risks of wraps and entanglements, yet the actual injury level in this group seems (to me) very small. Views?

How would you classify the (RW, FF, CRW...) enthusiast who busts himself after an otherwise uneventful (RW, FF, CRW...) jump by making an incompetent swoop?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You might look through incident reports here, the query page specically. Probably the closest you're going to get to the type of data you're interested in. Gets you a numerator, but not a denominator.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

How would you classify the (RW, FF, CRW...) enthusiast who busts himself after an otherwise uneventful (RW, FF, CRW...) jump by making an incompetent swoop?

Ah, stupid.:P

Sparky

That too! But while ignorance is curable, stupidity is not.

I believe that's why the Good Lawd invented correlation factors, p-values, and (sometimes) boolean variables. And other statistical things like that.

Oh wait, I forgot that statistics doesn't apply to skydiving :P
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I believe that's why the Good Lawd invented correlation factors, p-values, and (sometimes) boolean variables. And other statistical things like that.

Oh wait, I forgot that statistics doesn't apply to skydiving :P

I think you'll run out of data points really quickly if you try to break it down too far. It's not like a Gallup Poll.