3pines

Skydive Attire -

The code is this.......

Take some RED fabric, attach it to more RED fabric, cover it with a RED rig, get some RED shoes.......

BTW I ain't clownin':ph34r:

Kinda like the British uniforms huh?

Hides the Blood?!;)

WOW..Yellow is really HARD on the eyes HUH!!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A newbie question -
Why do most skydive jumpsuits - resemble clown costumes???
Really - as a newbie I'm jumping in jeans and tucked in shirts - And I'm looking to buy a jumpsuit - but is there some hidden "skydiver code" - that I am yet unaware of, that requires me to design my new jumpsuit with such an obnoxious array of patterns and colors so as to "fit-in" with the rest of you - who seem to have purchased your jumpsuits during a collective bad acid trip on your way to flunking out of clown college.

Please let us newbie’s in on the joke...

Unless the joke's on you…

LMFAO!!!! I have thought the same thing many times. :D:D:D
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Oh, come on...you want people to see your grippers? Heck, when I catting on a guy, I've got an extra gripper to grab. >:(:D Oh...wait...that's probably why you want the colored grippers. :D:D

you mean that grip was NO ACCIDENT....???

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Here are some of the "rationalities" I'm not buying into:

“My multi-colored Clown/Jump Suit…

1. Allows me to "Stand-Out" against the Ground below me or the Sky above me:
So would any suit of a SINGLE, NON - Blue/Green/Brown Color
2. It's easy to see my Grips:
I agree Grips should be brightly colored - Against a suit of a SINGLE color - For Truly Quick Recognition.
3. Shows up better on Camera:
Modern Color Theory suggests that quick visual recognition of any object is dependent upon clear boundary discernment. The process of boundary discernment for an object comprised of ONE CONTIGUOUS contrasting color is recognized by the brain MUCH MORE EFFICIENTLY than that of an object composed of many different colors.

Let me make an observation from the standpoint of an “outsider”:

The “Hey Everyone Look At Me” dynamic is equally entrenched in the personalities of most Skydivers, as well as it is with most Circus Performers.

There is a Question I think every Skydiver should ask him/herself:

Would I still Skydive If No One Knew I Did It…?

I went through my AFP this past summer at a very large (promoted as the “Largest”) DZ on the East Coast, and found that so much of the activity of Skydiving was centered on drawing the attention of others to “the skydivER”, rather than sharing the experience of “SkyDivING” to others as a life-affirming activity.

But what do I know – I’m sure I’ll get more self-centered as I progress…

Yours Truly,

A Center of Attention... In the Making...

As much as I want to look "cool" with a black jumpsuit and everything, the idea of obnoxiously bright colors is just so appealing. When else can you wear clothing like that and get away with it?

on a golf course

Good thing I'm a golfer as well :D
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

There's good reason that most of us buy our street clothes off the rack - and some even manage to screw that up. Jumpsuits are custom clothing because fallrate is affected by fit. When's the last time you bought a custom-cut t-shirt?

So with this custom garment comes a whole world of fashion opportunity and chances for individual expression. Check out houses that people design for themselves :S and you'll see the same thing. Some jumpsuits look great, and others...well, the Power Rangers have nothing on those folks.

In the end, does it matter? Relax, and don't worry so much about fitting in with us clowns with bright yellow suits. You'll be happy we're easy to spot for the next few hundred jumps, believe me.:P

Lance (aka "Big Bird")

I usually wear tie-dye about 3 or 4 days a week.. so my jumpsuit and freefly pants are really not that far removed from my street clothes. They are just baggier so that I have a greater range of fallrates.

Whenever I am on jumps of more than 4 people I appreciate people having bright, unique color combinations. If we're all limited to one color suits you can bet that fairly often more than one person will be wearing the same color suit.

I can remember a 10 way that I did, where I ended up orbiting the formation trying to find my slot because I was jumping with a team who had matching rigs and jumpsuits and a bunch of students who had on the skydiving schools matching rigs and jumpsuits as well. Its a lot easier when people have unique bright colors on.

I understand your point of observing that we are all non-conforming together practically to the point of absurdity. I guess I generally choose to ignore that because the skydiving community is such a unique blend of people that I think its funny that we can get construction workers, medical doctors, and hippy, college students to all wear the same goofy clownsuits and to continue to take themselves seriously.

Oh.. and to answer your question of whether I would skydive if nobody knew that I did it.. I avoid telling people that I skydive. The only reason it comes up among the folks at school is when people ask me where I work. I will answer direct questions about skydiving, but generally I would rather not talk about it with non-skydivers, it just makes me feel uncomfortable because I don't want it to be construed as bragging or anything like that.

I'm sorry there were so many assholes at the DZ you learned at. You should consider a smaller DZ with out as many competing egos. I have left DZ's before because there were too many egos.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Because we're a bunch of clowns. :P

Hell yah!!! I don't skydive and BASE jump for anyone but myself. I just moved to a new city ... Wet'couver (that's Vancouver for those without an imagination) and hardly know anyone here. But that won't stop me from jumping. Now wet, cloudy WX ... that's another story. I miss the sun of CO and it's only been something like 3 weeks. :(

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

WTF dude, if you don't want to wear a "loud" jumpsuit, then don't. My gear/jumpsuits are all mellow colors (which is pretty rare for a freeflyer). My canopies are obnoxiously bright so people can see me in the sky and hopefully not run into me...

One more thing, newsflash most people are self-centered... if we weren't, we'd all be out volunteering at the local soup-kitchen or teaching inner-city kids how to read on the weekends instead of skydiving and burning mass quantities of fossil fuels. :|
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

There is a Question I think every Skydiver should ask him/herself:

Yes, I would. I got into skydiving for me. I don't give a rats ass if others know that I do it or not. I, also, have the pleasure of starting to try and give back to the sport what it has given to me. I've had some wonderful mentors, coaches, and friends that have shown me the wonders of skydiving and the pleasure to be found. Even though I just have a coaches rating, it's now my time to return even the slightest little bit of pleasure in the sky that I have been given and helped to achieve.

But what do I know – I’m sure I’ll get more self-centered as I progress…

Yours Truly,

A Center of Attention... In the Making...

Boy...love that attitude. :S Suggestion, take the chip off your shoulder.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Most people that I work with have no idea that I skydive. I skydive because I want to, not to impress other people.

Edit to add: how many of your friends know you skydive and why/how did you get into it?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

A newbie question -
Really - as a newbie I'm jumping in jeans and tucked in shirts - And I'm looking to buy a jumpsuit - but is there some hidden "skydiver code" - that I am yet unaware of, that requires me to design my new jumpsuit with such an obnoxious array of patterns and colors so as to "fit-in" with the rest of you - who seem to have purchased your jumpsuits during a collective bad acid trip on your way to flunking out of clown college.

Please let us newbie’s in on the joke...

Unless the joke's on you…

Gonna have to say that your assessment is right on. Not everyone feels the need to follow this absurd trend though. :)
My rig is black, and my jumpsuit is red. Solid colors, no clown look.

Looking ridiculous is a freefly thing I think ;)

You seem a little too concerned about it though. Why do you give a crap?
I dont.
Wear what you want.
__

My mighty steed

When I get around to ordering my own suit I'm going to get a Super Dave Osborne style suit complete with cape and matching helmet. How dope would that be?;) I like the crazy "clown" outfits the people at my DZ sport it gives a uniqueness and personality to the characters and sport. If you think skydivers are bad, you should check out serious paintball players. Until youve seen a middle aged man in a red/blue/green uniform with a camo head wrap and pink Shocker (its a type of marker, get your mind out of the gutter) with Louis Vuiton laser etching, you dont know how bad it can be.

Edit: Found a good example of how gay paintballers can be, its not a Shocker its a marker called the Ego, seriously. Chaeck it out. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/GrendelKhan/pinkgucci.jpg
I say keep rocking the clown outfits, shake them haters off.

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."

I'm in the process of ordering a suit... I decided on black pants and red shirt. I figure black pants are good for when they get dirty, etc., and red stands out.

Plus, it's sort of an obscure homage to all of those Red Shirted Guys out there.

But the guy in the red shirt always dies first... you sure you want to stack the odds against you like that? Just in case no one's told you yet, skydiving is a dangerous mission. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke