3pines

Skydive Attire -

A newbie question -
Why do most skydive jumpsuits - resemble clown costumes???
Really - as a newbie I'm jumping in jeans and tucked in shirts - And I'm looking to buy a jumpsuit - but is there some hidden "skydiver code" - that I am yet unaware of, that requires me to design my new jumpsuit with such an obnoxious array of patterns and colors so as to "fit-in" with the rest of you - who seem to have purchased your jumpsuits during a collective bad acid trip on your way to flunking out of clown college.

Please let us newbie’s in on the joke...

Unless the joke's on you…

You'll find that most jumpsuit colors match the jumpers' rig.

You can always go with just a plain color suit.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You can always go with just a plain color suit.

YEAH!

...Like an ICE CREAM Man!!!:P

(Oh...I get...yer setting him up to 'ride the goat' .....sorry Mar!)

...I mean, yeah...like she said...ONE color is COOL!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Them BASE jumpers are'nt taking grips on each other 45 seconds into a jump either :P Also short of the freaking sweet Spock that FX pulled off the Bridge this year its kinda rare to see them base jumpers trying to adjust fall rates while head down. ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My gear is colored to do a number of things:
* be visible, as people have said.
* be affordable but fit well (the suit was secondhand)
* help me find everything that is mine, at night, while blind drunk.
* prevent theft.
* demonstrate to other people that I am extremely secure in my masculinity.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

As much as I want to look "cool" with a black jumpsuit and everything, the idea of obnoxiously bright colors is just so appealing. When else can you wear clothing like that and get away with it?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

well, i LIKE my clownsuit...:$

more seriously, i was told to choose a suit so that (1) the colour can be visible to jumpers both above and below you (eg wearing a grass green jumpsuit over a grass DZ may not be such a great idea) and (2) that it's better to have the grips in contrasting colours so the people you are jumping with can see them easily (this may not be as important for more experienced jumpers)

ps that orange nightmare in my avatar is the only club AFF suit that would fit me (my own is black with green grips :P)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

A newbie question -
Why do most skydive jumpsuits - resemble clown costumes???
Really - as a newbie I'm jumping in jeans and tucked in shirts - And I'm looking to buy a jumpsuit - but is there some hidden "skydiver code" - that I am yet unaware of, that requires me to design my new jumpsuit with such an obnoxious array of patterns and colors so as to "fit-in" with the rest of you - who seem to have purchased your jumpsuits during a collective bad acid trip on your way to flunking out of clown college.

Please let us newbie’s in on the joke...

Unless the joke's on you…

you are right on the money. I agree with you some of the stuff is just plain ugly. forget what you look like on camera - just jump!

rm

When I first got my motorcycle, my riding mentor (my roommate at the time) gave me the most important advice of my riding career, much more important than braking techniques...

Tdog, Do not wear your helmet more than 5 feet away from your bike, or more than 15 seconds after killing the engine, as the farther you get from the bike, or the longer you are parked, the more out of place and stupid the helmet looks, and thus the more stupid you look.:P

So, I think I know the roots to your perception problem... You are around people who are putting on their jump suit too soon, way before putting on the rig and getting on the plane.:$

But in all seriousness, colorful (but not necessarily clown costumes) do make better videos and pictures...:$ I have looked at my favorite movies from www.skydivingmovies.com and I find that I am attracted to the videos that have vibrant jumpsuits.

a collective bad acid trip on your way to flunking out of clown college

Well, have you noticed that freefliers have more colorful suits than RW guys... I guess that says a lot about the quality of Acid the different disciplines buy.:$B|:P

well, i LIKE my clownsuit...:$

more seriously, i was told to choose a suit so that (1) the colour can be visible to jumpers both above and below you (eg wearing a grass green jumpsuit over a grass DZ may not be such a great idea) and (2) that it's better to have the grips in contrasting colours so the people you are jumping with can see them easily (this may not be as important for more experienced jumpers)

ps that orange nightmare in my avatar is the only club AFF suit that would fit me (my own is black with green grips :P)

Oh, come on...you want people to see your grippers? Heck, when I catting on a guy, I've got an extra gripper to grab. >:(:D Oh...wait...that's probably why you want the colored grippers. :D:D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

This is great!

Yeah, skydiving is even more of a fashion amnesty than the rave scene.

And to be honest, I think it's because skydivers don't take as many drugs as they claim. If there were really any acid heads on the dropzone, some of the clashing suits I've seen would put them in hospital :P

Ravers realise that the pharmaceutically-altered have to be taken into consideration...

(Having said that, cue dozens of posts of people in neon yellow phat pants with flashing lights, just to prove me wrong. But basically I just wanted to say "fashion amnesty" about going to the dropzone, 'cause it is. And I love it :$)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?