Sweetuk

help

Hello there... Just looking for abit of advice really i guess.. Completed a skydive and loved it what a fantastic buzz.. however now looking to complete the AFF and wondering where is the best DZ to complete this any suggestions.... Also i'm a lady wanting to do it alone so somewhere ultra friendly would be class...

Well, let's see.... it's a big world and we've got no idea where you live, or whether you can afford to (or are interested in) travel for your AFF. That would help if you want recommendations.

That said, your best bet is to identify the closest DZs to you, and get out there and talk to the instructional staff about their programs. Pick the one you're most comfortable with. A handy place to start would be the dropzone database on this site: http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you do Aff training abroad you will need your log book signed by a BPA instuctor to make it easier for you to intergrate onto a uk dropzone.

AS you have said weather abroad makes progression so much easier to do. Do a search of the forums to get a idea where new people go to train and learn:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Seems that Spain is a popular destination for uk AFF students, due to generally great weather, cheaper prices and abundance of British instructors. People will always recommend the DZ and school they trained with, so in the spirit of the probable forthcoming discussion here are some of the more popularly argued for choices...

www.freefallco.com
www.freefalluniversity.com
www.freefalladdicts.com
www.skydivespain.com

I have personal experience of the first (I did AFF with them), and I've visited the last one and seen their AFF operation when very busy (there were a whole lot of us collegiates out there at easter). I can thoroughly recommend both of them, although Empuriabrava (the first one) will always be my favourite (but I am biased...)

:::Edited for spelling:::

Come to Perris, CA!;)

www.skydiveperris.com<----Clicky

I aggree.. This is where I did my AFF school. The facility is huge and people come from all over the world to jump here.. the weather is great, they have a great store (squar one) where they sell everything, a bar/resturant, Pool and a wind tunnel.
You can do it all there.. I have heard stories of people comeing there from abroad and get licensed in a couple few weeks.

Whereabouts in UK are you? If your South I would recommend Headcorn. I know people got a few things to say about it as a DZ, but theres difference in opinion everywhere you go. Got nice plane for winter, gets you to altitude fast and its got a kick ass heater so nice and toasty until that door opens! Brrrrr. :P
Ive found it mostly friendly and plenty of female jumpers too

Well Carolina Sky Sports is ultra Friendly but I would recommend doing their Tandem progression and not the AFF program, at least for this dropzone.

They are one of the few drop zone that I know about who make you prepay for your whole AFF jump program which is close to 1,300 dollars..... OUCH

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

I'm in a similar position to yourself, although i'm not a lady :S

I was thinking about going over to Eloy, although it was a toss up between Eloy and Perris. I've read that the accommodation at Perris wasn't so good.

Flights to Phoenix are about £300 return on BA (booked for approx end of March returning 3 weeks later) and with their most expensive student package the total including flights comes to little over £2k (I think accommodation's included with Eloy, not sure on that though, but would probably bring tent anyway)

I'm a bit confused about American Visa's though. I currently have a C1/D visa, which enables me to go to the USA to join a ship (I'm in Merchant Navy) and to leave the ship if it arrives in a US port - I'm curious as to whether I need to go through the pain of visiting the US embassy again for a temporary visitors visa or not [:/]

With regards to a UK DZ signing a logbook, is that before you travel to do your training or when you get back in UK? Also are the logbooks included in the training (in USA) or is it something you have to apply for prior to going?

I'd be interested in the Eloy vs Perris but I have read all the reviews on here, I don't know if anybody can add anything else between the specific two.

Hope that made sense.

Steve

I've read that the accommodation at Perris wasn't so good.

I can't speak for the bunkhouse, but the IHOP is perfectly acceptable. Think up-market youth hostel.

As for visas, you should be able to travel on a holiday visa, if your passport is from a country that participates in the visa wavier program. The UK is one such country.

I've read that the accommodation at Perris wasn't so good.

I can't speak for the bunkhouse, but the IHOP is perfectly acceptable. Think up-market youth hostel.

As for visas, you should be able to travel on a holiday visa, if your passport is from a country that participates in the visa wavier program. The UK is one such country.

I don't think my specific visa is classified as a holiday visa though. [:/] I'm in LA next week so i'll ask the immigration guys as I pass through.

On another note though... I'd more than likely go back year after year to where I trained (as I'm sure many people do), would camping out at a DZ for 2/3 months over the summer be an issue with Eloy/Perris?

You'll be able to ignore your visa situation and just enter on a visa waiver instead (green form) if you're a British subject. You pick one up on the way in, or the airline give you one. I think you can stay for 90 days on it if you're there as a tourist (or skydiving student ;)...
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

You'll be able to ignore your visa situation and just enter on a visa waiver instead (green form) if you're a British subject. You pick one up on the way in, or the airline give you one. I think you can stay for 90 days on it if you're there as a tourist (or skydiving student ;)...

Great stuff, thanks! ;)