JohnRich

Re: [cpoxon] Fatality - Weston-on-the-Green, UK - 17th Novemeber 2005

Thames Valley Police said that they were not currently treating the man's death as suspicious.

I have a problem with the media use of this phrase, above. Do they presume that every skydiving death is a murder?

When there is a fatal traffic accident, do they report it as; "Police said that they were not currently treating this death as suspicious"?

That seems like a totally unnecessary thing to say, and casts a bad light on skydivers, where none is deserved.

When there is a fatal traffic accident, do they report it as; "Police said that they were not currently treating this death as suspicious"?

In the UK they quite often do. You must remember we had the purported 'murder' last year and there have been a number of other incidents that have been suspicious so I think it helps if the police do state that they believe it is not.

Blue Skies and condolences to all involved.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

NO REFLECTION ON SKYDIVERS
IF SOMEBODY DIES IT HAS TO BE INVESTIGATED
IF IT WASNT AND IT WAS SUSPICIOUS THEN WHERE WOULD WE BE?
WHATEVER HAPPENED IT STILL SUCKS THAT ANOTHER PERSON HAS DIED THIS YEAR,TOO MANY PEOPLE WHEN YOU CONSIDER HOW FEW OF US ACTUALLY JUMP OUT OF AN AEROPLANE
MY SYMPATHY GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND THE FAMILIES OF ALL SKYDIVERS WE HAVE LOST THIS YEAR
RIP
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Thames Valley Police said that they were not currently treating the man's death as suspicious.

Any violent death is treated initially as a homicide. It's not just skydiving.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It happens with car accidents...they just rephrase it - "investigators do not believe alcohol or drugs were a contributing factor."

The circumstances surrounding a skydiving fatality on a city street are bound to be more suspect than an car accident.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I have a problem with the media use of this phrase, above. Do they presume that every skydiving death is a murder?

That seems like a totally unnecessary thing to say, and casts a bad light on skydivers, where none is deserved.

It's the standard media phrase in the UK when referring to the status of a police investigation into a death. If someone falls off a cliff, has a heart attack in the street, or gets run over by a car, that's the phrase that'll be used.

Different cultures :)

This started appearing after the high profile 'murder' that we had. By the press stating that this is not suspicious it is protecting skydiving, since they are stating that it is not believed that skydivers are out to interfere with other peoples' kit in a malicious manner.

In most states all “unattended” deaths are investigated by law. If not by the police then by the Medical Examiner/Coroner.

I think maybe it’s the reporter who throws in bit about not being suspicious.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi John,

I took this out of incidents because you've chosen to discuss the media in the UK, and not the incident. Please use this thread for media discussion, and leave the incident thread to discuss the incident.

Thanks,

t
It's the year of the Pig.