mdrejhon

Canadian 80-Way: June 22-25, 2006 - Registration

Just a heads up to all...

Nobody has mentioned this on Dropzone yet as far as I know, so I'll be the first. This sort of belongs in Events, but being a big event, it is akin to the Canadian version of the World Record; worthy of the General forum. (Historically, most 'record-way' or '100-way' talk is located here anyway)

The Canadian Record 80-Way registration form (Skydive Burnaby) appears to be up now, with June 22-25th, 2006 being the date. It is my understanding you need to be a Canadian to be a part of this, and need a B license.

This may ultimately be too big for me, but they are having camps before that which would be fun to be part of anyway. (I've only done several 16 to 20-way attempts (about 8 of them) and I have jumped several 4/5/6/7/9/10 ways now.)

It appears they need as many Canadian skydivers as possible to register. Knowing our country is much smaller in population than the USA, and the record is only a 56-way at this moment. As long as you have a B license, you can register and be part of the tryout camps. Guy Wright is the load organizer.

Even if one gets cut from the 80-way, I was told there would be jumping opportunities for multiple smaller bigways (20-ways) which would be great continuing pratice for a guy like me for a future attempt! Heard that the pratice camps start earlier, I think Monday. Four Twin Otters at one dropzone in Canada, a very rare opportunity. (good even if you are not part of the 80-way!). And watching the record 80-way from the ground will be pretty spectacular at breakoff time for someone standing on the ground.

So you Canadians, even those with just a B license, the tryout camps and being a spectator would look like a lot of fun at least!

I'm not so sure I would want to be up there in the skies with 79 other people trying to kill me (just as I'm trying to kill them). Plus while I've got a decent amount of experience, I've done nothing close to doing 80 ways (I think my biggest was a 16 way several years ago in Eloy when I was fresh off the presses). But never say never huh? Contrary to what some think thanks to all those hop n' pops I did this summer concentrating on my swooping, I can freefall on my belly as well as in a sit and while I won't be invited on any VRW world record attempts anytime soon, I can also fall on my head. But I'm not so sure I want to be forking out 100 bucks right now for something I may not be interested in and may not be able to travel to Ontar-eee-air-eee-oh for. :)

But never say never ... ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm debating the thought. You're far more experienced than I am (overall anyway, even if not 50% of jumps are RW like me). Yeah, 80 people trying to kill each other. There are enough scary moments just watching a partially completed 20-way funnel and tracking out of the mess (I was still 20 feet away from that mess, only 500 feet above breakoff altitude, not yet docked). I already know things can get quite scary in a hurry... I made it a point to make almost all my solo freefalls all tracking pratice jumps...

I could just show up there and watch and just jump with smaller 20-ways between loads, which I have already done before (Deaf World Record) and want to continue to pratice with. The Deaf World Record 20-way was the inspiration that made me jump 136 times in one year (otherwise, I'd only have jumped 50 times...) If I have done a lot more jumps (200?) and windtunnel time by then, I might even pay the $100 to try to be a part of the actual bigway! Am I totally nuts to be pondering this thought!? With a good load organizer such as Guy Wright and great people evaluating our bellyflying skills, he may be able to keep things reasonably safe. It'd definitely inspire me to keep jumping. At just 200 jumps and only a little tunnel time, I'm very liable to be cut even before they put me on the bigway, but at least I'll have national attempt experience which will count positively towards future participation. After all, I do sometimes dream of being part of a future world record (400way?) attempt when I'm a 1000+ expert RW jumper and a small goldmine spent on tunnel time. If I ever go that far in skydiving. You never know... Just dreaming. ;)

I am trying to ask them if $100 is actually used as a deposit used towards a jump balance. If so, I will be asking them to clarify that -- because it may make some people decide to go because it won't be wasted.

It's still very early, the form and deposit doesn't need to be mailed in until May 31st, 2006 anyway. Plenty of time for someone to bump experience levels up by then.

Either way, they need plenty of good Canadian jumpers. Badly. Canada's not that big a country skydiving population-wise. Mark it on your calendar and spread the word!

It's the first I've heard of it... any more info anywhere?

I'm sure the buzz will start to become loud when the Canadian skydiving season starts again. If you are a CSPA member, there's a CSPA mailing list. It seems you're USPA (right?), but four Twin Otters means lots of jumping opportunities ;) between the bigway loads, go and fill a slot!

I didn't know the dates of this Canadian bigway before today (I had been trying to find out), so I felt it was important to post this information publicly. Many Canadian skydivers don't even know about this! If I remember right, there was a 100-way attempt a few years ago in Canada but they only managed succeed 56-way. The word needs to be spread!

I did the Georgia state record 64 way with only 400 jumps and the New Jersey 100 way with 500 jumps, so if you're up to 300 to 400 jumps by the time the Canadian record comes around, and have improved significantly by then, you may have a chance, but don't get your hopes up. At the very least, you have your goals in the right place by at least being there to watch and getting some jumps with organizers working with the bench (extra jumpers not on the record).

That said, those two records I mentioned were done in the one year I posted 350 jumps, so I had a very high learning curve by staying very current and jumping as many big ways and big way sequential events as I could.

I admire your enthusiasm. I was like that back then. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you do want to participate, and overall, you want to improve your bigways skills, look into a big way camp.

Kate C. and Tony D. run them twice a year typically in May and October(or at least once a year in May) at Perris.

The focus isnt on completion, but on building up skills, with a focus on safety. You 'll be in formation ranging from the low 20s to the 60s or 80s, and you'll be rotated from inside to outside.

They are fun events, with a now pressure no fault attitude.
Remster

I'm not sure I can afford to do 300 jumps by then. I know that the Perris bigway camp required 250 jumps minimum. If I get a few thousand extra dollars, I might go for it.

I wouldn't bank on it... But I think I will at least go watch the Canadian bigway and participate in the fun jumping (which would mean plenty of 20-way pratice)

Question!

Are there any RW camps where I can jump at least 20 or 30 jumps with formations 10-ways and bigger? (I have done 10 jumps that were 10-ways or bigger, so I know I'm ready for such a smaller camp)

Some places in the states have those 55-jumps-for-$1000 (similiar to Perris) which I could manage, or cheap $18-or-less jumps, but I would like to time it during a boogie where tons of 8/10/20+ ways are planned. If I could only make ONE such trip with lots of jumping (over 50 times), what would be good events to go to that might ensure that more than half of the jumps really test my skills, and teach me more about safety in even bigger ways. (i.e. which boogie/events are heavily RW/bigway oriented?)

After all, since it's CSPA and in Canada, I know many first-time participants in the Canadian record-ways have never been to a big way camp except maybe a previous Canadian Record Attempt (And gotten cut but wanted to try again)! I heard there are pratice camps on the two days before the big way attempt. So the record attempt is like a Canadian big way camp in itself too in ways. The earlier Canadian 100-way attempt had to be whittled down to 54-way, if I understand correctly. It would seem that there's just not enough interested experienced Canadian skydivers with high enough experience levels, so I am pretty sure they will at least 'look' at my flying skills. I would probably just get cut and then just keep jumping with the support team and other jumpers, etc. Because of this reason, I may pay that $100 anyway just to get in on the 'camp' aspects and class training for bigway safety, etc. Might still be worth it even at only 200 jumps. However, I do want to get LOTS of 20-way-ish experience first, and break the 200 jump barrier... I'd hope 200 jumps in a single 12 month period would probably make me more current in RW than 500 jumps spread thinly over 10 years. Especially if that's a 500-jump freeflyer. ;) I might only have 200 jumps, but I'd like it to be plenty of 20-ways - I know current experience matters more than jump numbers. Anyway, it is one of the inspirations to keep me speciallizing on RW because one of these days I want to be on one of these record attempts... I would not have gotten 138 jumps without the Deaf World Record as the aim, and I attended in mid-to-late October. I'm looking for other inspiration in the sport, and the Canadian bigway is one of them. At least being "there" at the event.

Just a thought, why not contact a big name LO and ask him/her to come up to your DZ and do some smaller big way camps.

You could organize the whole thing.

Be willing to pay for airfare/slots/hotel/food for the LO and don't forget you'll need to cover the cost of video.

Sit down and figure that into what you would charge jumpers to attend the camp.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just a thought, why not contact a big name LO and ask him/her to come up to your DZ and do some smaller big way camps.

You could organize the whole thing.

In the middle of Canadian winter at a Cessna dropzone? I'd be nuts. ;)

However, you idea is very valid. By the time May rolls around, it will be 2006's first Twin Otter boogie at my home dropzone (May 20-22 tentative). The Skydive Gananoque DZO (Tom) sponsored Scott Miller to come to do canopy coaching in 2005, and he is doing it again for 2006. Maybe I can get the DZO to sponsor a bigway LO for the May 20-22 Twin Otter boogie. I am going to propose that (sometime), thanks for the idea. But with the Otter fitting only 20 people, and May being very early in Canadian skydivng season, it may not work out -- however it would be a good way to bring some publicity to the Canadian 80-way, and there are no doubt other people like me who want to even *think* about trying for the Canadian Record. They may even already have a LO, I'm not sure...

You could talk to one of the guys at the DZ who have been on 300+ ways. Or even a few others who have been to the Canadian record attempts and been on 100+ ways. You'd be surprised of the bigway exp at the DZ

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Like packerboy said, why aren't you talking to Don Grevelle or Fuzzy or Angus about this, instead of asking a bunch of 'Mericans? As for boogies, email TK at Z-hills, or any one of a number of large dzs in the Southern States that all have boogies at Xmas....

There's always the Canadian invasion at Eloy, John Smith or purplened or Lyall Waddell at Eden North could probably all give you information about that....

Edit to add "Not that there's anything wrong with 'Mericans, some of my best friends were/are 'Merican."
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Like packerboy said, why aren't you talking to Don Grevelle or Fuzzy or Angus about this, instead of asking a bunch of 'Mericans? As for boogies, email TK at Z-hills, or any one of a number of large dzs in the Southern States that all have boogies at Xmas....

Good observation but...

(1) I am already talking to certain people by email (not all the same dropzone contacts you mentioned though)
(2) I utilize multiple sources of information: Direct contact, dropzone.com, Skydive Burnaby, dropzone contacts, even made a mention on CSPA CHAT list too.
(3) As a deaf guy, I find it easier to communicate online.
(4) Because Gananoque is closed right now for the winter.
(5) I only found out about this 80-way a few days ago.

Thanks for the tip about the names. But, also, you just perfectly proved my point how useful dropzone.com is and how helpful it was: You posted your message, which helped me by mentioning a few name referrals which I will indeed take advantage of. ;)

As I am still a first-year B license newbie, I have not been talking about bigways to many people because it wasn't yet on my radar screen. It is right now. Because RW is something I decided I'd like to speciallize in for now, and now I want to extend that to bigway experience.

As I am only newly interested in bigways, you can understand that I am only learning now who are the bigway contacts. I am sure that people who know me, will understand this, all things considered...

(If anybody others from my dropzone reads this. Please feel free to PM me about who I should talk to. Especially those of you who did not receive an email by me.)

Here's a partial listing of recommendations I've read in this thread.

- Gananoque CSS roadtrip to Thanksgiving boogie, probably can't make it due to budget (the main dealkiller is that everyone is driving on Wed or Thurs, not Fri -- I can only take two days off)

- Xmas boogie at ZHills, can't make it due to budget (Christmas, y'know...family family family)

- Perris Bigway Camp, can't make it since I won't have 250 jumps by then (although I may have 250 by the Canadian 80-way)

I will have budget for an approx 50-jump holiday anywhere between January and April, so I need to time a boogie, event or bigway camp during that time period. And I'm happy to hear SkyVenture New Hampshire is opening in March, that means I may be able to get plenty of tunnel time too within driving distance of Ottawa. (I did tunnel in Orlando and loved it)

What Mar said. You jump at Burnaby, right?

Ask the DZO there... I think Guy Wrigth has been to you DZ once or twice a year to run suck skills camp. There may be similar things set up next year.

And dont discount the number of big way jumpers from Canada... there's a few... ;) Getting them together is going to be the problem since a lot of them are DZOs and instructors from accross the country...
Remster

What Mar said. You jump at Burnaby, right?

My home DZ Skydive Gananoque (Already mentioned in this thread and in my profile. I guess you only skimmed this thread, eh? Shame on you greenie! :D But don't worry, I know you moderators can't possibly keep up with every single thread. I am a moderator on another forum called BlackBerryForums.com).

Skydive Gananoque is a multi-Cessna dropzone that brings in a Twin Otter three times a year (usually from CSS), and I'm going to make the suggestion of a LO to DZO Tom (already mentioned) for the May Twin Otter event, once I hear back from some others.

***And dont discount the number of big way jumpers from Canada... there's a few... ;)

I'm not -- But how about the number of interested and able to attend? That's gonna be tough. It would seem we'd still need to spread the word if the Canadian 100-way ended up only being a 54-way!

Okay. Thanks to flyangel2's suggestion and a little bit of Remster lovin', I've now contacted Tom (DZO of Skydive Gananoque) about maybe bringing a LO for the May Twin Otter visit. It would likely be limited to 22-ways but this definitely will be good practice and good advertising for the 80-way. He's away to CSS Thanksgiving Boogie, so won't hear back till then. Who knows, I might even take upon the challenge of helping the LO recruit jumpers for 22-way practice. ;)

Call me stubborn. I'll probably be cut, but what I learned so far, I still have a fighting chance to get experienced enough between now and then... No email rejections when I contacted Skydive Burnaby, that's a good sign...

Good question... Try emailing the host to ask about eligibility rules: www.skydiveburnaby.com ...

Historically, from my research, I heard other bigways let outsiders in under certain cases (i.e. born in which country, or state, or which country passport you hold, or member of parachuting association, etc). I have no idea about the 80-way. Maybe all you need is to be CSPA. Go for it if they let you!

Heh Mark, I attended the big-way camp in Perris last May and it ROCKS! I know you really want on the CDN way and won't be able to go to the next Perris camp before the CDN way but you may want to look long term budgeting for the following camp even if it will be after the CDN way. It is well worth it.

Call me stubborn. I'll probably be cut, but what I learned so far, I still have a fighting chance to get experienced enough between now and then...

That's the great thing about a camp, unless you do some kind of really bad safety violation, you won't get cut. A good LO will put you in a slot that you'll be learning. If you mess up really bad in that slot, then a good LO will realize you are in over your head, and move you to a slot that will work for you.

Good luck, it sounds like this will be just what you need to get ready for big ways.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey