Broke

Long Island's Future

So the other day I heard some rumors that should make SDLI a better place to jump, but those are just rumors for present time, and I will not go on about those.

However lets talk about ensuring that Long Islanders have a safe place to jump for years to come.

The property that is home to SDLI is situated on is the Calverton EPCAL site formerly known as the Grumman Naval Weapons Research Center. However there is much talk at the town board of Riverhed(the township which Calverton residec), and quite frankly I am not happy with the rumblings.
While this has yet to come up I believe it is simply a matter of time with all the NIMBYism on Long Island itself. Just ask the drag race fans who used to be able to go to the Westhampton drag strip.

Orriginally the EPCAL site was going to be developed for commercial use only. Recently several plans have been drawn up to develope it as a resedential area, and unlike what is needed ie workforce housing it will most like be luxury housing situated on a golf course that will be built. It this is aloud to occure it would probibly be the worst thing to happen to skydiving on Long Island. Because once this housing is built it is only a matter of time before the resedents will petition to close down the DZ.

Now I am not saying that the DZ will definitally close, but what are the actions that skydivers can take to keep this DZ open for years to come?

I feel that we need to talk about this before the politicians talk about this, and before any housing is built on this property.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Sorry to hear this. While I've never jumped at SDLI, I understand Ray M. has built up a pretty nifty operation at Calverton. Damn shame to see it threatened.

I guess everyone will have to go to the private operation at East Moriches and share the Cessna (that is, if you show up on a day they are not reserving the plane for "club members only.") Be sure you don't bother the locals for gear checks. You don't want to be ostracized as a "wimp" who's afraid to jump. ;) And don't ask too many questions, or you, too will find yourself banned for life.

Until Ray expanded to Calverton, skydiving on Long Island was difficult, at best. The only alternative was that long drive through NY city limits, including tunnels, bridges, tolls, etc., to reach places like Ellington, Gardiner, or Albany. Hope you guys don't have to return to this situation. After more than 30 years on LI, I moved to another state 14 years ago and have never regretted it.

Cheers,
Jon S.

The property that is home to SDLI is situated on is the Calverton EPCAL site formerly known as the Grumman Naval Weapons Research Center. However there is much talk at the town board of Riverhed(the township which Calverton residec), and quite frankly I am not happy with the rumblings.

Our lease was (this year) extended 7 years.

loose lips sink big ships!!!

yeah we jumped the 207 yesterday...no king air..no caravan...no complaints tho..

i dont care how i get up..as long as i get up..

had 2 jumps yesterday...of course on the second one i landed on the taxiway..now i owe beer...good times!

everyone there was cool peeps...just wish it was a little closer to me...the trip from staten island is like 2 hours...
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I will give Ray a whole bunch of Kudos for getting himself in with the Riverhead Town board. It would seem that any way that he can help he does. The town board has recently voted down a devlopers offer to buy the land and develope it, so all is well for the time being.

However the devloper has vowed to keep on trying, and who knows what will happen with this election cycle that has just past. Unfortunalty a devloper has a whole lot more money than a bunch of broke skydivers. For now all we really can do is be a good neibor to the area, and try to remain vigilant. Ray is just one man who speaks for many.

Lets just keep our ears to the ground, and try to keep up on this. I have heard that there will be many improvements made to the DZ at SDLI in the future, and it would be a shame if this area gets devloped and then the NYMBiots get thier way.

The other solution is to wait untill it gets devloped, and then have a bunch of skydivers buy up the houses that get put up. The problem with this plan is I believe that the houses put up here will be near the 800k mark.

Looking back in Long Island's history.
Long Island was well known for it's racing, as well for it's role in the history of aviation.
For instance Mitchel Fields which is where Amelia Eitheart made history is now a housing devlopment and the only remotely avaition relayed thing there is the Cradle of Aviation Museaum.

West Hampton Dragstrip
The west hampton dragstrip was in operation up untill a few years ago. The dragstrip was located there for many many years. When the dragstrip was first built it was surrounded by potatoe fields. Eventually the Hamptons blew up, and became one of the most affluant areas in the country. The people who had thier million dollar homes couldn't live with the idea of having a noisey dragstrip near thier houses, even though they erected sound baffles, and stoped the races after something like 8:00PM. So even though they knew that this condition was in place before moving into the area they still griped and got it closed down.

The bridghampton raceway which from what I am told was world famouse now only consists of three turns, and the rest of it is a gold course.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Willie at SDLI made a very good point the other day....

Do you think people are going to want to live on a plot of land where 10's of thousands of gallons of jet fuel were dumped when the center closed? Is that even legal????

It's probably the most contaminated piece of land on the Island..

SDLI has a lot of future plans. I know that Ray took a bunch of officals up on tandems one year (as a surprise). I wouldn't worry about it too much, just enjoy the view and have fun jumping.

In other news:

I jumped the last jump of the season on sunday (sunset load) and holy crap was it cold! I couldn't feel my fingers when I got to the ground. Other than that I will see you guys next season!

Willie at SDLI made a very good point the other day....

Do you think people are going to want to live on a plot of land where 10's of thousands of gallons of jet fuel were dumped when the center closed? Is that even legal????

It's probably the most contaminated piece of land on the Island..

What about that piece of land over by Republic airport... I read that crap is going to get into the water table in a few years.

As I also remarked previously Ray has been very good at playig with the politicians. I think I have seen his picture in the local newspapers more times than I care to count.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192