Tonto

How long?

I witnessed something awesome this morning. I was there to do my AFF 2 and while waiting and chatting with other jumpers we were watching a load come in that had 2 AFF level 5's on it.

It was the first load of the day and the winds were up a bit and both these guys got carried down range. Both of them made the decision to try and make it back to the field by coming over a stand of trees and both of them scared us to death.

The first one just barely cleared the trees at the end of the field, but he made it. Everybody by this point was out of the hanger and watching the last guy. He was way out and we all kept swearing that he should turn to an alternate spot or he would end up in the trees that boarder the field. At the point that this guy was about 300-400 feet I would guess one of the other instructors jumped in his truck and went tearing away down range before the second guy ever landed. Thankfully the second guy found an opening at the very end of the airfield that we could not see and managed to come down clear of the trees.

What I liked the most though was this instructor jumping in that truck and going tearing down that field to make sure that he was there in case of an off field or in the trees landing. It totally set my mind to ease that if there was a problem with my pattern that somebody was going to be watching out for me.

My AFF 2 went off without the drama and was the best jump so far. I did one tandem first and that hooked me and then I came back and started through the AFF. So I've got a total of 3 jumps.

Sure hope that I did not butt in off topic here. I just know from what I saw today, that at my DZ that they would not be waiting, they would be moving as soon as they even suspected a problem!!

Hey Tonto

As you probably know, the Duty Instructor was on the following load doing a tandem jump so did not know of the incident until he landed.

At JSC the instructor body normally works together. When one of the main instructors at the club takes over the search for a missing jumper and organises a group of people to search etc I am sure the DI would feel (perhaps wrongly) that that was a good enough response. You are one of the main instructors at the club and you took over the search.

You have always been in favour of the DI jumping whilst on duty. Perhaps you should propose that the club implement a policy where the DI does not jump.

You and your search team did a great job. The whole club was very relieved that the jumper arrived home safely

You have always been in favour of the DI jumping whilst on duty.

Still am, but when I'm pulling off my loads and recruiting jumpers to do his job after 3 loads, then I think something is wrong with the system.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would, and do, follow people and gear down. However, I don't think it is safe do so. We all make choices, and if someone gets hurt following my cutaway main down, and they get hurt, I am not going to be thankful they retrieved my things, but I will be upset they got hurt.

I tend to agree with ya

I don't have my pro rating, so cannot say if it's really safe to follow someone\someone's gear or not, off the DZ.
I do remember though, being taught in a first-aid course, that you should never put yourself in danger to try and help someone else - you could just end up with two people in trouble .. waiting for no. 3 to show up and get help. :|

With less than 150 jumps though (even if I was current), I'd land safely and get help.

At the two DZs where I normally jump, one requires a van ride back to the airport from the landing area. When I drive the van, I watch jump run for any outs/chops. As a jumper, it becomes second nature to get a head count in the plane to make sure you have accounted for all the load so you don't leave someone when returning to the airport. The outs are right along the road so it is normally not too difficult to find any missing jumpers.

At the other DZ, there is almost always someone sitting at the tables watching jump run. If someone has chopped or might be landing out, manifest is notified and they have someone in the golf cart or a truck to bring you back.

In both cases where I landed out (one a reserve ride), I didn't have long to wait to have someone checking on me or the van arriving to pick me up. I would hope that is the norm and not the exception.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

On the other side of the spectrum there's my DZ. This last weekend the DZ had driven out to pick up the main and freebag from a neighboring field and got back to the hangar at the same time as the jumper.

Granted we're not that busy these days, but when we are I usually have a car there to pick me up soon after I've daisy chained my main.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

At the other DZ, there is almost always someone sitting at the tables watching jump run.

It's tough watching jump run when it's happening 2.5 miles away from the DZ.(Remember this was a wingsuit specific jump run.) As I said earlier in the thread, there was a very high (white) cloud layer, and even knowing there was a (white) reserve up there after landing, none of us could see it.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I understand and agree with what you are saying about the difficulty in seeing the jumpers on that type of run with those conditions. My response was more directed towards staying aware of the number of jumpers on the load and watching as best as you can.

It is too easy to get use to thinking that once the tandems are down, the run is complete. With the ever increasing number of birds with their greater airtime and distances covered (I hope to join the ranks myself in the near future), those on the ground need to be more vigilant that all jumpers are accounted for.

Sean
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

45 Minutes is way too long IMO, I land out once in Z-Hills last week, and by out I mean just behind the tents and a little ditch (200 yards max).

Within a minute there were people that had run to me to make sure I was ok, and within 2 minutes there was a truck there to give me a ride back.

I saw the instructors physically counting the canopies that were landed and if anyone landed off they instantly sent people looking for them.

How it should be really.

BOOM Headshot