Hawkins121

Jumps per day in Eloy

Hey all,

I'm sick of sitting on my local drop zone waiting for weather to clear so I'm heading out to Eloy in a few weeks. I should be able to get 5 full days of jumping in. Does anyone know how many jumps you can get in a day as an AFF student? I'm only at cat C in the program.

I got in 3 to 4 jumps a day as a student in Eloy. I have heard of more. I think BB is correct about getting the best info from the school. I jumped during the week. I can tell you that I was very satisfied with the treatment I received there. Great people, great planes etc. Can't say enough good things about Skydive Arizona.
James

I did 3 in one day out of perris.. it was pushing it.. As a new skydiver.. its a lot of info and like the post before.. the debrief after the skydive is very important..
On one day.. I did wind tunnel in the morning and 3 jumps that day....
If you call the school and schedule it with them.. Im sure they will be able to accomodate you..

I also learned at Eloy. I did the 7 ASP jumps in one weekend. The most jumps I did as a student in a day was 7 coach jumps on Sat and 2 on Sunday morning before my legs were too sore from the student gear to do more.

Instead of trying to do "X" number of jumps per day, just go with the flow. If you are kicking ass on the jumps, you can knock them out pretty fast since there are usually plenty of instructors around who will want to jump with you. If you start to get frustrated, take a step back, relax, regroup, and try again later. It's not a race.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I also learned at Eloy. I did the 7 ASP jumps in one weekend. The most jumps I did as a student in a day was 7 coach jumps on Sat and 2 on Sunday morning before my legs were too sore from the student gear to do more.

Instead of trying to do "X" number of jumps per day, just go with the flow. If you are kicking ass on the jumps, you can knock them out pretty fast since there are usually plenty of instructors around who will want to jump with you. If you start to get frustrated, take a step back, relax, regroup, and try again later. It's not a race.

for sure..
I tried for X # of jumps while I was in solo stages.. my last jump was one of my requied RW jumps.. I did it and regreted it... not because I failed... (you cant).. but because I was so tired I didnt get my best out of it or the instruction..
but.. Now I know when not to jump anymore.. its when I get to that point..
its just not worth being that tired over.. Getting sloppy while skydiving can be deadly

I did my 4 tandems (on different days) that was necessary before I could do the freefall progression at my dropzone (a Canadian AFF variant).

If you never jumped, 4 jumps in one day is probably a little too much. But if you've already done a tandem, then it's not that much of a problem I feel. (Others may disagree -- with good reasons.)

I had a weather hold the first weekend. 0 AFF-type jumps.

Next weekend was great weather. 8 AFF-type jumps in one weekend, at 4 jumps per day!

I did not feel it was too much, it depends on the quality of instruction. You should not feel rushed. However, some of the people here (including the greenies) have more experience with Eloy than I do.

4 jumps at one dropzone can be easy-and-pleasant, and 2 jumps at a different dropzone (or even the same dropzone and instructor on a different weekend) can be a hard-and-frustrating experience. In large part because of the quality and time of instruction, and how busy the instructors are.

It was apparently a very good weekend. Cold Canadian spring weekend, but excellent weather otherwise. I was the only freefall student all weekend long at my dropzone. So it wasn't a hurried experience for me and I actually had time to do a 5th but they said 4 was enough for one day.

For me, I found 4 jumps per day is feasible because I have already trialed a tandem -- and already started "pulling" for myself. Being past the initial sensory overload and doing the tandem pull 'waveoff' already with previous tandems (I wasn't allowed to directly pull but I signalled the waveoff exactly on cue which means I was altitude aware). And having already read a book "The Skydiving Handbook". (Note: Still useful background information, but remember instructor instruction always OVERRIDE the material in these books. Never forget that! Listen to the instructor and never argue...).

P.S. If you are not fit, 4 is definitely too much at first. ;)

I got in 3 to 4 jumps a day as a student in Eloy. I have heard of more. I think BB is correct about getting the best info from the school. I jumped during the week. I can tell you that I was very satisfied with the treatment I received there. Great people, great planes etc. Can't say enough good things about Skydive Arizona.
James

yeah, you and Kim were kicking ass there during the student jumps. Now look at 'em...all grown *sniff* *sniff*.

:D:D:D:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

If you never jumped, 4 jumps in one day is probably a little too much. But if you've already done a tandem, then it's not that much of a problem I feel. (Others may disagree -- with good reasons.)

4 is a lot for a student, esp if they're still spending the entire ride to altitude getting excited.

These days 4 is a good number for me. The 6th one in the day, I clearly feel the fatigue setting in. Doesn't seem to matter if I used packers or do it myself, might be more about going to 15k msl over and over.

I never did a tandem until I got my rating. (I truly hate being on the front)

The AFF level one skydive really changed my life. I imagine it will change your life too. Especially if you haven't done a tandem.

So, I think the L1 should never be followed by another jump that day. That first skydive when you truly took your live in your own hands (yes it's possible to throw both JM's and for the ADD to fail) and made that leap of faith in yourself should not be diluted.

I can see two jumps on day two and increasing to three or four on subsequent days.

Skydiving changes your life. And for those that it impacts less, it certainly puts a bookmark in.

If you have 5 days you will be looking good.
Make you first early in the morning and go from there. dont force yourself to a certain amount of jumps in a day, it might take the fun away. Enjoy the Jump, learn if you did something wrong, and jump again WHEN YOU ARE READY. Dont forget Student gear can sometimes fuck with your body. I Remember having nice leg strap bruises from 4 jumps in a day on Student Gear.

Good luck and see you there

No Matter what you will enjoy yourself beyond belief and dont forget to

NUR ZUM SPASS

thanks for all the replies...

I have extend my stay there 1 extra day with the hopes of finishing the A license. I have already done the first 2 jumps in AFF and a repeat dive for AFF 2. I tried to wrestle with the air and the air won... lmao

I was a paratrooper and have 37 military jumps.. I can take some bruising if it means getting off student status sooner.

My local DZ's are not very student friendly. "You are on the next load"

5 min later:

"We have to move you to the load after the next because we have a few unexpected tandems"

F that... No more... Eloy here i come!!!!11 lol

well as far as student jumps I did about 3 a day at the ranch, but once I was on to solos I did 7 in one day to finish my license, but that was not at AZ...

good luck in your quest!

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.