Grips

Dropzone Morals

Hi.

I am new here, awesome site, lots of good info, and great forums. I am lucky to have found this site.

A quick blurb about me, and then my question. I am a student, I have 4 jumps however, I haven't jumped since January. I am starting over from AFF Stage 1. I am an American Expat currently in Australia. I will be doing my training here.

I just had a quick question. I was supposed to jump just this passed Sunday, to start my training again. I was very eager, and looking forward to this. However, tragically, Saturday, the day before. Somebody jumped, had a malfunction, and passed on as their reserved failed to open in time.

I opted to postpone my jump, and retraining, not out of fear but out of respect, as I just didn't feel right jumping the day after somebody's life was lost...where I was going to be jumping.

I found out a day later, that Sunday, the day after, it was 'Operations as Normal'.

What I am asking is if something terribly tragic like this happened at your DZ, would the DZ be down for a day or two, or would business just go on as usual.

If it was my operation, I would have shut operations down for at least the weekend.

Another quick note, this DZ has had 3 deaths in the last 2 years...?

Thats pretty bad...isn't it?

Thanks for any feed back, and see you on the boards!
B|

Hi,

Glad you are back in the sport.

It is not a disrespect thing to continue jumping once there has been an accident.
It is not a moral thing at all.
You can normally stop if there are safety issues (Wind, medivac etc)

People do this sport because it is their passion, their life and there are accidents that happen.

I would love my family to say one day that I died doing what I loved. And I would expect my friends to be back in the sky in my memory.
No use moping around. Go do what you love!
(Oh, and they better be singing in the plane on the way to altitude!)

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Another quick note, this DZ has had 3 deaths in the last 2 years...?

Thats pretty bad...isn't it?

It's pretty damn unfortunate. As to whether that reflects badly on the DZ in question, well, it depends on what caused the fatalities. Since I'm not familiar with the incidents, I'll refrain from commenting.

Somebody jumped, had a malfunction, and passed on as their reserved failed to open in time.

No disrespect and I don't know anything about this incident, but, it is much more likely that the deceased 'failed to deploy their reserve parachute in time'.

I would love my family to say one day that I died doing what I loved. And I would expect my friends to be back in the sky in my memory.

So you are hoping to go in one day? I find that disturbing. Why would you want to leave such a negative impression apon your family from something you love? I don't get that. Never have.

I told my family flat out that I never wanted them to say "well he died doing something he loved". It just seems like such a rationalization to the risk we take and then impose it apon our family. Our family members usually never see us jump or know the stories we have. They just know that we are gone and died a horrible, painful death. That's all they are left with.

Take care and skydive with the attitude that you don't want to blemish the DZ you visit by dieing there.

Sorry, I guess I've seen too many people die to think that there is some glory by dieing skydiving. There's none.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

So you are hoping to go in one day? I find that disturbing.....

I think you are reading more into it than what was meant....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Then they need to choose different words because it's exactly what was said. She's hoping that one day in the future her family says she died skydiving (doing something she loves).
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Then they need to choose different words because it's exactly what was said. She's hoping that one day in the future her family says she died skydiving (doing something she loves).

Geeze man she might die doing somethign else she loves, or someone else for that matter and then her friends might say she died doing someone she loved :P I too hope I die doing something I love rather than having some random boring accident take me in some stupid way...

Edited to say that I hope all my buddies get ont he next flying load if I do happen to die doing one of the things I love...skydiving...which is kinda what I think this lass was trying to say...and maybe one should look at relaxing a bit, getting a massage, maybe a happy ending or perhaps building a sauna in your house???

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

your right, I would love it if my family was able to say once I died that "well it least he died doing something he hated" or " what a lame as boring way to die".
The post your upset about did not say "died skydiving" just said that wanted to die doing something loved. Hell that could mean dying during sex....
you read way too much into it.
ignorance is not bliss

your right, I would love it if my family was able to say once I died that "well it least he died doing something he hated" or " what a lame as boring way to die".
The post your upset about did not say "died skydiving" just said that wanted to die doing something loved. Hell that could mean dying during sex....

wow great minds think alike ;)

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

People die.
Not to put words in her mouth, but I don't think she meant in anyway that she wanted to die. I think that there are many more horrific ways to go. It's my personal belief that if it's your time to go, you will go. Better to go in quick and doing something you love, than to linger in pain and suffering with a debilitating disease or being a victim of some senseless crime or ...
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Oh, you're right. We're just posting on a SKYDIVING FORUM! Sorry, my bad.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

If I died jumping, do you know how mad I would be if somehow I knew that the DZ quit jumping that weekend? Hell, they better go up and do some practice jumps for my ash dive! That and someone better take some money off my account and buy a couple cases of beer for my first time to die.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

People die.
Not to put words in her mouth, but I don't think she meant in anyway that she wanted to die. I think that there are many more horrific ways to go. It's my personal belief that if it's your time to go, you will go. Better to go in quick and doing something you love, than to linger in pain and suffering with a debilitating disease or being a victim of some senseless crime or ...

Wow, you guys really know what's what. Between the three of you there is exactly 4 years of experience according to your profiles. You really must have seen alot. It's easy to buy into the rationalizations when you're new.

And who said any of those other things were guaranteed to happen in your life if you didn't go in first? Another rationalization.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

What I find disturbing is that you would asume that he has a death wish rather than someone who's grasp of the written english language isn't quite what it should be?

He clearly (IMO) meant that IF he has the misfortune of going in, then at least his family would have the comfort of knowing he died doing something he loved.

BOOM Headshot

...Wow, you guys really know what's what. Between the three of you there is exactly 4 years of experience according to your profiles. You really must have seen alot. It's easy to buy into the rationalizations when you're new.

OK...overboard...that's offensive and an insult to my intelligence.

Just so you don't assume anything and that you understand completely...piss off.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What I find disturbing is that you would asume that he has a death wish rather than someone who's grasp of the written english language isn't quite what it should be?

He clearly (IMO) meant that IF he has the misfortune of going in, then at least his family would have the comfort of knowing he died doing something he loved.

Pssst.... I think Beverly (who I was responding to) is a female. Just going by the words in the profile and the avatar though.

And I've been to more funeral than weddings. There's no comfort, NONE, in knowing that someone died skydiving.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Pssst.... I think Beverly (who I was responding to) is a female. Just going by the words in the profile and the avatar though.

LOL you know I wrote it all in female context then changed it all to male (don't ask why cause I have no idea), sorry about that Beverly.

If those funerals had been from them walking in front of buses, would you have felt them same way? (I don't mean to offend the people you have lost)

BOOM Headshot

Just so you don't assume anything and that you understand completely...piss off.

Now that's direct! Thank you.

Sorry to be a fly in your ointment folks. I guess discenting opinions aren't allowed. A post was made. I responded. The three of you jumped me. I responded in kind. Because I haven't capitulated to your way of thinking then I must be pushed to the side (with your "piss off" comment).

Circle the wagons!

BTW folks, I've made plenty of same day jumps when close friends went in. I've flown loads when others have died in a jump plane crash. Been there. Done that. The original post was about continuing ops during an incident. I think if there is sufficient staffing and people can focus on their jobs then there's nothing wrong with it. The bigger the DZ the easier it is to continue ops. I would take offense to it unless the staff couldn't perform to a high level during a stressful time.

We've sufficiently hi-jacked this thread from the original post. Guess that's my fault for making comments not related to the first post. The second poster just rubbed me wrong and I felt like commenting.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I dont believe that people who die skydiving, die doing something they loved.

Unless of course, they love falling to their deaths wrapped in their reserve or whatever the problem happens to be.

It is a nice thought but unfortunately its probably rare that someone dies whilst they are enjoying themselves.

That is the actual death part, I can hardly see anyone turning round and saying;

"He died doing something that he loved.... dying!"

Moving swiftly back on topic, I know for a fact that if I die skydiving and I really hope I don't, then I would like others to keep jumping and doing the things they love, I don't need them to stop doing what they love to show respect.

BOOM Headshot