killa_k

Girls in Skydiving

There is a serious lack of females in the sport.

Hey, this one's a fast learner. :)

I made a lot of my initial jumps at a smaller DZ (one C-182). There were a couple of ladies that jumped there
fairly often and a couple more that came around occasionally. Recently I've been going to a bigger DZ
(has their own Twin Otter) and there are noticeably more ladies there. They are still only about 15%-20%
of the total population, but the population is larger, so at least there are more of them there.

My best friend and I go to Cleveland Parachute Center and she gets hit on by every dude in the
house.

Most of the single guys I know at the DZ are horn-dogs. Some of the married ones are too, when their
wives aren't at the DZ... One guy put himself in the position of needing to get a DNA paternity test,
and I suggested that he get the results laminated as he was probably going to need them again. I
_think_ he knew it was a joke.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

...Ok... I get it. The emphasis should be on old, not dirty?;)

Hey! Wait a minute...I can qualify for both old and dirty....let's give Credit where credit is due here, eh?>:(

LMAOPIMP
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This has been my fear of having a skydiving girlfriend. Oh, it would cost me more than double because she'd be too good to pack for herself, too. So either I'd pack twice per jump or I'd pay a packer.

Right, because there's no way that she might actually pack for herself or pay for a packer herself.

Then again, I'm thinking that says more about the type of chick you're into, because it certainly doesn't describe the vast majority of skydiving women that I know.:P

Ahmen!! Most women who skydive are balsy chicks who want to show that they can skydive/pack/land etc etc as well or even better than men. I don't see many around getting "titty pack jobs".

BTW, my BF sometimes offers to finish off my pack jobs, but it's normally so that I can run off and manifest us to get us on the next load. I have had arguments with him about it, 'cos if I don't practise, I'll never get quicker..

I am working on packing quicker when I'm not jumping with him! Oh, and I normally get him a coke on my manifest run, this is NOT counted as a "titty pack job!!"

Jeessuz, what kind of girly are you into if you think you're gonna have to pack or her, OR pay for her pack jobs???
www.sneale-create.com

On the other hand, if you _are_ looking for a guy, the odds work for you. Although as a friend of mine once said, the odds are good but the goods are a little odd.

Bill, this is the priceless saying of the day...:D
FGF #6
Darcy

I remember, like others here, when there weren't many females who jumped at all, and the ones who did had very strong personalities (I'm thinking of Southern California's jeanie McCombs and the like).

Just ten years before I started, say in the early sixties, almost no woman jumped and I recall an old film I saw from the TV show "The American Adventurer" that featured an early Ten Man Team and their "girlfriends." It was funny to see the woman sitting in the grass looking up as their men jumped. One of the woman even said, "Well, we don’t just sit around, we time their formations (they all had their own stop watches) and we help them pack (they held tension)."

Another function of the woman was to meet the men in the peas and carry in their helmets and chest mounted reserves.

Sure, their were some physical things that kept woman on the ground like the gear was bulky, heavy, and did require some brute force to use, but it was more the attitudes of the day that kept them grounded. I would think the main problem a woman jumping in the very early days wouldn't come from the men, but from the other non-jumping woman. "What does she think she's doing?"

Today it's a whole different story and I'll say this about that. I think you have to be a special man to jump, and I think you have to be a special woman too . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

And showers.

I am not scared of showers!

you are too. How many other women skydivers out there need a chaperone in the shower? I only count 9

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

figures...

i've heard the saying, but never at a DZ. when i heard that saying it was being used to console a buddy who lost a g/f. turns out she 'got around' more than what most folks would consider 'normal'. hence the "you didn't lose a g/f, you just lost your turn"

blues!
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

I pack for my husband for free. Mostly.

I am my husband's packing bytch. I don't mind. I like packing. Besides, it can be painful to watch him pack.

As one of the four regular female jumpers at my home dz, I've had a thing or two to say to some of the guys when they cross the line. I'd really like to have a couple more girls stay and go through their progression, not be scared off by horny guys.

As for the original issue, if a guy doesn't like the way other guys act around the gals, don't play the game. Ever. Other than that... if you want to bring a girl out to the dz but are worried about the 'reception', warn her to wear her thick skin, and to stand up to anyone who gets innappropriate.

...'the goods are a little odd'... :D I'll say...

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I am my husband's packing bytch. I don't mind. I like packing. Besides, it can be painful to watch him pack.

As one of the four regular female jumpers at my home dz, I've had a thing or two to say to some of the guys when they cross the line. I'd really like to have a couple more girls stay and go through their progression, not be scared off by horny guys.

As for the original issue, if a guy doesn't like the way other guys act around the gals, don't play the game. Ever. Other than that... if you want to bring a girl out to the dz but are worried about the 'reception', warn her to wear her thick skin, and to stand up to anyone who gets innappropriate.

...'the goods are a little odd'... I'll say...

I'm with you, I enjoy packing.

Some guys can be stupid with regard to how they treat women at the DZ, but women need to be better about watching out for each other too. Sometimes, some women, treat others like competition instead of being friendly. It's tough for a newbie to stand up for herself, as far as she knows, how she's treated is perfectly normal and acceptable and something she will have to learn to put up with. Women tend to not want to be assertive in unfamiliar situations. It's up to us regulars at the DZ to give newer girls a warm welcome, and just keep 1/2 an eye open if there are problems.

If a guy wants to bring a girl to the DZ and is concerned about the attention she may get, he has far deeper issues than taking a girl to a DZ. He needs to gain some confidence in himself and trust that just because a girl is hit on doesn't mean she is going to do anything about it.

Yep, the good are a little bit odd. So what does that say about us that we married a couple of those odd goods??;)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Yep, the good are a little bit odd. So what does that say about us that we married a couple of those odd goods??

Yeah. And I think I'll keep my odd goods.:D;)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein