rideclimbfall

Skydivers that also rock climb?

There's a gap between "once a month or so" and "not anymore" that I fall within. I still have all my gear (although my shoes never really fit), and intend to become at least somewhat active in the sport again -- especially if I can convince my son to take an intro climbing course with me.

I also know a few elite skydivers that climb regularly, and are accomplished climbers. The overlap is certainly larger than my early impressions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once every two or three months, and not well.

Is that your rockclimbing or your skydiving??

Yes.

Still very much into climbing, however until recently I must admit that soft tissue injuries have forced me into climbing more moderate routes the past couple of years. I am finally feeling back up to par will be training hard through the winter. But to answer your question. . . . .it's hard for me to stay focused on jumping and climbing simultaneously. I tend to go through phases with each.

My girlfriend and I both climb, though not as much as we would like to we do enjoy it.
We also enjoy kayaking, mt biking, base jumping and I skateboard as well.
We did not jump that much this summer so we could do other sports more.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

While i guess you meant that as a joke(?), i reckon that there is something that differentiates fear of heights in rock climbing from the fear of jumping from two miles up..

I think that maybe our primitive brains recognize lower but still significant heights as dangerous but evolution never programmed anything into our ancestral brains to deal with diving from an airplane - evolution simply doesn't go that fast. Certainly I feel a lot more scared sitting on a tiny ledge a few hundred feet up than hanging out of the door of a helicopter at 5000'..there is of course a bit of me saying things like. "this would make a good BASE jump some day"...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Once a week during skydiving season (gym and outdoors). 2 or 3 times a week (gym only) during the winter/off season. Just getting back into it right now. In fact, my forearms are still sore from Saturday's workout.

It's hard to do both during the same season - good weather isn't guaranteed up here every weekend. If I have to choose, it's always jumping.

http://www.verticalendeavors.com/ve-stpaul/stpaul.htm

http://www.minnesotaclimbing.com/

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That's too much for me, those muscles need time to heal. Every other day is even pushing it - but we climb for hours.

But it beats weight lifting hands down and, I think, is much better for total body workout (if combined with some kind of cardio workout).

Skydiving, Climbing, Skiing - all sports with primarily very social down time (pack/climb, watching, ride the lift), followed by high intensity exertion - repeat as necessary. Most skydivers I've taken climbing get hooked very quickly, not as often as wuffos I've taken climbing. There's something compatible there.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants