nigelh

BPA Council Elections

Hi everybody,
Hopefully you'll all now have your December Skydive Mag and would've found the Council election forms in the pack,

I would just like to say..... "Please Vote for Me!!"

There are 22 candidates and 15 spaces, of which you have 15 votes.
You do NOT have to use all 15 votes, but you must mark each candidate with "YES or NO" If you don't, it will be invalid, and last time a couple of hundred were invalid.
So if you want to say 'YES' for less than 15 (i.e Just Me ;)) and 'NO' for everyone else.... That would be okay too!

Please use your vote, It takes only a few moments to do!

Nigel Holland
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

It's really good to see that there are so many candidates, a few years ago there weren't even 15 and we didn't get to vote.

To all those who are always wingeing about 'the BPA does this or that which they shouldn't' this is your chance to make a difference!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Okay... Well.....

I am currently the Artistics Rep, at just 25 i am the Youngest Council member, But i'm not scared of the older people ;)

I want to see the development of our sport, and because i have no financial connections with Skydiving, I help push what will benefit the jumpers, and not peoples back pockets.

Nigel

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

I know you won't let the older guys pick on you. ;)

Do you think that DZ owners/directors should be allowed to be on the board of the organistion that regulates them? Or is it inevitable that with the small group of us in the UK that jump?

You've probably got my vote, I think you've done ok, but I'd be interested in your response...

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Do you think that DZ owners/directors should be allowed to be on the board of the organistion that regulates them? Or is it inevitable that with the small group of us in the UK that jump?

I don't think BPA council should be entirely DZOs, but since DZOs are members of the BPA and pay the same BPA membership the others of us pay, I don't think they should be excluded from council.

The other argument your question prompts is that the BPA regulates all skydivers through STC and the ops manual, so should skydivers be allowed to sit on the board?

Ultimately I think that the BPA council needs to be a balanced group representing everyone's interests, whether DZOs, Students, Free flyers, FS jumpers, Accuracy and Artistics.... maybe even canopy pilots..:P

Just my opinion as a member. I'm not standing but I'd recommend Kieran Brady, Eddie Jones and Ralph Fielding (current council members) and Roy Clarke (a newbie, nominated by me) for consideration...

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

hey

its nice to have a young head on the council who can put across fresh ideas about the developments of the extending diversifications that this sport is experiencing, and will experience in years to come..

you've definitely gotten my vote..

'live fast, die hard..'

I agree with what Sweep said (all except his recommeneded votes of course! ;) teehee)

The Council needs a good blend of people from DZO's, CCI's, Instructors, Packers and even Fun Jumpers.
That way we represent the majority of opinions within the Skydiving Community.

Nigel

As for Dumi...... ha..... ha..... :D

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

So what exactly does a council member do then?
From reading the minutes in the mag it seems to me like all the important stuff is decided by STC, and then the council just agree with it, (except in a recent event) everything else is just crap to make you all think the BPA is a democracy.

Not that i am anti BPA i quite like some of the old gits.

Kieran Brady is a Club Chief Pilot, he also does a lot of work liasing with the CAA regarding flying ops for parachuting (eg assisting Black Knights in getting their Porter sorted) in addition to the other Council work he does.

Not sure about the others, I think Jimmy White became a CCP this year.

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

The Council needs a good blend of people from DZO's, CCI's, Instructors, Packers and even Fun Jumpers.

What's that all about? Why should fun jumpers be seen any differently? The sport couldn't exist without DZOs, packers, instructors and so on but neither could it exist without regular punters who make their money elsewhere and spend it on jump tickets. I think fun jumpers can feel very distant from the BPA as they don't have much directly to do it with apart from competitions and a painful cheque once a year. The accounts show a drop in memberships over last year and I'd happily bet a frosty beer that a lot of those people were fun jumpers.

Nigel, if I've got the wrong impression here then please tell me. I just think sometimes throwaway comments can be telling and that one jumped off the page at me. Are you a fun jumper? Do you make some money from the sport? What do you think could be done to keep people upbeat and involved?

Just pick a couple and answer them ;)

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'

I think Kieran Brady is a pilot. Angela Hickling from Langar is involved with the BPA on the flying committee although she is not on the council itself.

Angela is a wonderful lady, she's been very supportive towards me when things went bad once. Same with Dave Hickling, i've got alot of time for them, they run a very good ship at Langar :)

No i think you may be right some people decided that the increase in membership fees was to much for them to swallow. so they either left the sport or joined the uspa and now go to the states for 2-3 week a year and bang in large jump numbers.

If you don't vote people don't bitch about the council when it comes time for the annual 3 % increase in membership fee.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I wasn't really saying anything about fun jumpers, I guess my choice of wording wasn't ideal, but i was just trying to cover everyone in the sport.

Regards what the Council actually do,
The Council is divided into Committees, they are Competitions, Communications and Development.
There's also the STC, which is made up of CCI's.
They all have their own meetings, which are minuted and then go to council to get accepted,
Council Meetings also cover other areas, but what's discussed changes all the time.

We have a Council Meeting tonight and everyone is welcome along.
Existing Council will be there and those standing for Council should be there too if you would like to know a bit more before you vote.

Nigel

Team Dirty Sanchez #232