RkyMtnHigh

Number of Disciplines you do

What combination of disciplines do you do? and why? Is it the difference in canopies/rigs you would need to do both and the hassle of changing back/forth unless you had multiple rigs...?

How much focus on a discipline do you feel it takes to be proficient or do you feel as though one can "dabble" in multiple disciplines and still be proficient?

...just another curiousity thread:P

I have two rigs, one primarily for RW and recreational CRW, and the other sized for my CRW-specific Lightning 143... However I do use the latter rig as a back-up RW rig with a different canopy in it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I do a bit of most...
Mostly RW and Tandem videos, then FF, Wingsuit, beginning in RW.

No "classic" accuracy, and no style, unfortunately no CReW yet, but will be touching this discipline a bit.

In order to be proficient in many disciplines, you must focus for some time in each, till you get good skills. That's why I'm crap everywhere :D

If you see people like Loic, he was in the French RW team (8way I think), but also an very good freeflyer, wingsuiter, videoman for freestyle, can do CReW, BASE etc... But we are not all like that... Just gave his example, there are more people who are very versatile and at kick-ass level in several disciplines...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I mainly do RW.
Play with freefly
Attempt to wingsuit and
try not kill myself with canopy piloting.

I have 2 rigs and 3 helmets and 3 alti's (Neptune, Altimaster and Protrack.
Many jumpsuits, freefly pants and a wingsuit.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Similar to Beverly...

-I mainly do RW. That's my true love.
-Playing with freefly periodically but I suck badly.
-Will attempt wingsuit at the next opportunity from SkymonkeyOne.
-Getting better at accuracy to the point of seriously starting my run for the prized Pro Rating as soon as I can.
-Getting much better at canopy piloting to the point of seriously thinking about downsizing.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I only freefly. And enjoy the occasional tracking dive (does that count as a discipline).

Ive just been fascinated by freeflying since the first time I saw a flyboys dvd. There's just soooo much to learn and it takes a long time to get good.

I may give RW a serious try some time in the future, but up untill this point it just hasn't interested me.

RW (4-way, coaching, big ways), FF (sit, HD, tracking, learning back), hybrid, CrW. I like to swoop but really need some training.

Wingsuit - looks like fun. Takes 'gear fear' to a whole new level. Not yet, too busy with 4-way.

Real excited about the FF 4-way comp format coming out. I'm not much for the 'artistic' side of FF, but the comp format could suck me into the discipline further - it would make it worth learning to get a lot better. I'd like to see it incorporate more than just head up and down, also back and belly combinations (both in a hybrid and flat block and randoms) - truly become the all around skydiver discipline........

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Do as in on a regular basis? Or do as in have done in the past and wouldn't be opposed to doing again if I had the right equipment?

Have done often in the past year - RW, freeflying and tracking dives.

Have done in the past and would do again if I had the gear - wingsuits and CRW.

Have done in the past and would do again if I had the gear and a stronger neck - camera.

Have no interest in doing myself but enjoy watching - classic S&A, freestyle, skysurfing, swooping.

How much focus on a discipline do you feel it takes to be proficient or do you feel as though one can "dabble" in multiple disciplines and still be proficient?

Depends on how you define proficient. Less than 1/3 of my jumps this year have been RW. I'm not good enough at the moment to be on a 100 way, but I can fly my slot on smaller stuff (15 way or less). To get back to the point where I'd feel safe on something really big would take 100-200 RW jumps over 6 months or so.

To have fun doing RW, freeflying, CRW, etc., doesn't require that you do only that one thing. To get really good at any one I think it needs to be the primary type of jumping you do.

Of course all this applies only to mere mortals. Those with thousands of jumps who are already really good at one thing can go do something else for awhile and still be really good at that one thing when they come back to it. People like that are irritating. :ph34r:

...Have no interest in doing myself but enjoy watching...

I'm sorry bytch...I did read your entire post but something just keeps nagging at me here....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For the last few years, almost all of my skydiving and practice (tunnel time, coaching, etc) has been geared toward getting my AFF rating. So I really only do RW. Maybe in 20 years, they'll have an introductory instructional rating that uses freeflying, and we'll do sit-fly exits with new students. But for now, it seems to be about bellyflying for AFFIs, so for the freefall part, I focus on that. For the canopy part, I just try to get down safely. Usually on the way down, I'll play with most or all of my control inputs - risers, toggles, harness, and think about traffic, what it would be like to cutaway at 1,000 feet, and if I should think about doing an intentional downwind for practice on the next jump.

Freefall - RW
Canopy - survival

I think you can dabble in multiple things and still be somewhat proficient, but if your goals are high (instructor, competition, world-record), most people probably only have the time to focus on one thing. The nice thing about this sport is that if you're totally bored and frustrated, you can just start over with a new discipline.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD