Jackpunx

Jumping with a Hernia

So I went to get my FAA Medical.. All was well until I told them that I had Lasik surgery. No big deal.. He gave me some paper work to have my Dr. fill out and I’ll be on my way..
But he also let me know that I have a hernia!
Not what I was expecting to hear.
I have been skydiving pretty much every weekend since I started. It never really hurt.. I just thought it was part of getting old...
Have any of you ever jumped with one?
Im going to get the sugery but want to get as many jumps in before as the recovery time could be a while.
anyone have any experience in this?:S

Never had it but its sounds that you are like me (jumping every weekend trying to get jump numbers/experiece up) so good luck and wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery.

Oh and if it doesnt hurt, I am no doctor but I PERSONALLY would keep jumping until either the surgery or it hurt, whichever came first. ;)

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

Never had it but its sounds that you are like me (jumping every weekend trying to get jump numbers/experiece up) so good luck and wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery.

Oh and if it doesnt hurt, I am no doctor but I PERSONALLY would keep jumping until either the surgery or it hurt, whichever came first. ;)

;) thank you.. its pretty much like that..
I think Im going to lock this thread before someone comes in and says different:ph34r:

i had a hernia operation a few years back and let me assure you..you DO NOT want to aggravate it untill it hurts...

the surgery/recovery will be one of the most painfull things you will ever feel in your life..

get it done and out of the way asap and heal and get back to jumping after that..

take the word from someone who has felt the pain and dealt with it..do not aggravate it..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I got one as a result of an industrial accident in a factory when I was 20. I didn't notice it when lying down or sitting, but if I was on my feet more that 30 minutes, I had the sensation of having been kicked in the groin. Since my primary hobby at the time was martial arts, this was not acceptable. I opted for surgery ASAP.

The recovery was PITA; I could barely walk, by sort of shuffling along keeping one foot ahead of the other. And any time I coughed, sneezed, or laughed, it felt like someone had shoved a knife in my crotch and twisted it. I was back to work in about 10 days.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There are many kinds of hernia. Before the advice starts spreading too much maybe you could be a little more specific.

I dont know what kind.. Im going to my Dr monday.
I went to get my FAA medical exam and he noticed it.

for the most part it has not hurt me.. I felt a little during sex but other than that.. Not really a big deal..(as far as pain in concerned)
The FAA dr said it will never get better only worse.. If I deal with it now it will be less of an impact as if it rips any further on its own.
So the bottom line is .. I have know idea what kind it is...
Im going to jump this weekend and see my dr monday..
I guess if I have to get it done.. Winter is the time to do it.. :S

You don't have to tell us what kind of hernia you have. I'm pretty sure I know how your doc found it so thats good enough for me (cough cough). PLEASE don't wait until it hurts to get it taken care of. If you are going in on Monday then take the weekend and chill. Can you imagine worsening your hernia during a jump? Not to mention what would happen if a non-sympathetic (read: most) insurance companies found out? If you hurt it further you won't have the option of doing surgery when it is convenient.... just play it smart and then you can be thankful.

blue ones
Mr X

For what it's worth, I had laparoscopic surgical correction of an inguinal hernia a few years ago. I checked into the hospital at like 830am, and I left at lunchtime. 3 days later I was golfing, 3 days after that I was playing hockey again.
cavete terrae.

For what it's worth, I had laparoscopic surgical correction of an inguinal hernia a few years ago. I checked into the hospital at like 830am, and I left at lunchtime. 3 days later I was golfing, 3 days after that I was playing hockey again.

that makes it a lot less grim.. I thought I would be down for the winter..
thanks for the info
even thought I dont know what kind mine is.. Its possible that I may have the same recovery as you..
I have heard some horror stories..
thanks again

that makes it a lot less grim.. I thought I would be down for the winter..
thanks for the info
even thought I dont know what kind mine is.. Its possible that I may have the same recovery as you..
I have heard some horror stories..
thanks again

What's the location of your hernia? Mine was approximately 2-3" off the centreline of my body, about the same distance above my cash & prizes.

For the laparoscopic procedure, they make 3 small incisions: one in the navel, and one about 4" to each side of the navel. Each incision is perhaps half an inch long.
cavete terrae.

normal hernia surgery sucks. They damage your abdominal muscles on their way in, so you can't use them for a few days. I wasn't able to do a sit up for 2 or 3 days. I had to kind of roll outta bed. It sucked.
Go for the smaller incision thing if you can.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I would guess that rapidly decelerating your body, throwing all your organs to the bottom of your body...aka...probably pushing your hernia even further...probably isn't a good idea. Dont worry about taking time off. I know its tough since you're so new to the sport, but really, in the grand scheme of things, you'll never even remember that you missed a few weeks. I remember missing holidays, family gatherings, school, work, and stuff with friends just to go skydiving one more time, but now I couldn't tell you waht jump I did that day or if I even enjoyed it. Make sure to keep your priorities straight...right now thats the hernia. :)

Cheers,
Travis

There are many kinds of hernia. .

There are indeed, and some hernias can become life threatening if not treated. Google 'strangulated hernia' for more information.
Do not mess around with it - get it repaired!

Here is a fun resource on hernias.

We had some "man pain" saw the Dr and he told us Hernia[:/] But not to sweat it, be all you can be:|

He a laid back dr and said we didn't need no stinking surgery:)
About a yr later we went back to the same Dr with nore "man pain" and the he told us we had a 'strangulated hernia' he would have the surgeon meet us in the ER immediatly!!B|

Thank you verymuch Dr IMO it should have been taken care of the first time (elective surgery) before the Hernia got strangulated and things could have gottten very bad, very quickly (depending on when and where your at when it happens).

IIMO have the "man pain" taken care of now when the weather bad try and wait until fter the holidays etc. Or you might not get to choose the time and place, like happened to me.

R.I.P.

Skip the weekend, get it taken care of and you'll be back in no time. A friend recently had hernia surgery. He could see a decent sized bulge a couple inches above his family jewels. He got surgery, said it was more of a discomfort than anything, and was back to his job lifting heavy patients at a hospital within a couple of days.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Ya probably don't want to risk making it worse by jumping this weekend, though. Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

im young and the surgery and recovery time was short. I have a friend that is in his 50's at work and his recovery time was about 2 weeks, compared to my 1 week. I would take it easy for at least a week, and then over the course of the next week take it easy on lifting heavy things or doing any power moves. :D

Remember this...

Shitting will hurt for a few days (stomach muscles)
laughing will hurt for a few days(stomach muscles)
trying to get into and out of any chairs will be really bad the first few days! (stomach muscles)

edit: forgot to mention the best way to get in and out of the chairs/seats. ( Hover and drop to get in, Roll to get out!!):S thats the best way to explain it. u will see.:P

and the worst part... when the get done and u look down at ur "unit" it will be black and blue. :D
its just a fact of the surgery. if its not discolored, then they were one hell of a surgeon. it doesnt hurt, just annoying. makes u hope they didnt fondle you, unless it was a hot nurse. the nurse will shave you so be prepared for that as well. u will probably be out when they do it. ;)

wont take to long to recovery so get it done and dont wait! the longer u wait, the harder the recovery will be.

the doctor will probably tell u go home after the surgery and go to bed, but before the end of the day to try to walk around some. DO IT!!! if u dont then u will experiance more pain due to stiffness.

good luck and prey for hot nurses.;):ph34r:

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

my dr wouldnt let me leave the hospital untill i could get up..walk to the bathroom..and take a piss..

that my friend was when i met the worst pain of my life..

those steps to the bathroom were like black death creeping up on you from behind
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I've got a little one somewhere near my navel. Don't really know just where, but my doctor sez I've got one. Okay, well he's a doctor. I'm in no pain or discomfort and still can't find the damned thing, so I'll just go on jumping. Maybe jumping will help me find it one of these years ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I Jumped all weekend and other than the normal stretching and very very minor discomfort on the creepers.. it was fine.. I saw my Dr this morning.. I told him I skydive every weekend and if I should change anything.. He said.. don’t worry about it for now.. just keep living they way you have.. and then he sent me to the surgeon.. I see him wed..
he was basically saying that I needed to get my jumps out of the way for now to allow for healing.. Cant jump until the pain is gone completely.. (after the surgery

I went to a good general surgeon to have a hernia checked out. He told me to come back when it hurt...in the meantime, he told me to scuba dive, do yoga, ride my dirt bike etc. (wasn't skydiving yet, but if it was cool to ride a dirt bike, then skydiving can't be any worse)

That was 2 1/2 years ago.

I've been waiting to break a bone or something, and then I'll get it fixed while I am already out of action.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I went to a good general surgeon to have a hernia checked out. He told me to come back when it hurt...in the meantime, he told me to scuba dive, do yoga, ride my dirt bike etc. (wasn't skydiving yet, but if it was cool to ride a dirt bike, then skydiving can't be any worse)

That was 2 1/2 years ago.

I've been waiting to break a bone or something, and then I'll get it fixed while I am already out of action.

I have heard a couple of stories similar to this one.
Do you know MJ?
ask him about his.. its getting worse.. he's wearing some sort of (not sure what its called but it holds him together)... and he's still jumping two days a week..
Im going to get mine out of the way before it becomes what they would consider to be urgent. the Dr didnt mention anything about coming back when it hurt.. I think there are different kinds.. Mine is on my right side.. and I cant remember what he called it.. Although he said to continue living like I have.. he did want me to see a surgeon ASAP.