darkwing

Who calls a canopy a "chute"?

"Chute" doesn't bother me. I'm used to hearing it from people who fly powered parachutes. What does make me laugh is "strings." It's a standard joke at our DZ when we refer to what a non-skydiver might say..."pull your strings, pull your strings!!!" :S

To me though, they are all words that describe the same thing. For example: control lines, steering lines, brake lines,... :)
I understand where the word "chute" comes from much better than "canopy," although I like the sound of canopy much better for some reason. B|

And then there's "squares" and "ellipticals." Neither one is accurate, but we all know what these words mean in the context of parachutes/chutes/canopies.

Ehh, to each their own.

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I say, "chute" all the time. "Keith, wanna make a jump?" "Lemmee go get my chute." Or is it "shit?" I forget. Wink

Is that why people give me looks when I tell them I'm a certified Chute packer!:o
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

To use "chute" for parachute seems outright ridiculous when you consider the etymology of the word:

French : para(sol), parasol; see parasol + chute, fall; see chute.

Chute is the part of the word that means fall. Correspondingly "chute libre" means freefall. Just thought I'd pitch in...
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Hmm, interesting observation. I find that it depends on the context.

If I'm talking about flying or opening, I call it a canopy.

If I'm talking about packing it's a chute.

When was the last time you asked a packer/rigger how many canopys they packed on the weekend. Chute just sounds better. On the flipside saying "I opened my chute at 3000'" sounds really Whuffo.

No one swoops a chute!:P

I think this is the answer I go by - chute when packing (or parachute when talking to whuffo's), canopy when flying or talking about flying.

I clicky'ed on your clicky's clicky to discover:

chute

NOUN: 1. An inclined trough, passage, or channel through or down which things may pass. 2. A waterfall or rapid. 3. A parachute.
VERB: Inflected forms: chut·ed, chut·ing, chutes

TRANSITIVE VERB: To convey or deposit by a chute.

INTRANSITIVE VERB: To go or descend by a chute.

ETYMOLOGY: French, a fall, alteration (influenced by chu) of Old French cheoite, from feminine past participle of cheoir, to fall, from Vulgar Latin *cadre, from Latin cadere. See kad- in Appendix I. Sense 3, short for parachute.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/3/C0350300.html

We've spent WAAAAAAAAY too much time on this subject. There's nothing to see here folks, let's move along....
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

WHAT THE F*%K IS A WHUFFOS ( I hope its not me):P
and I saw on person try and abrevate it ? Anyway if you know what there talking about why does it bother you so much.

do you want to point out that you know more or better than someone else (not you just in general) I do it to some times ,I geuss when your passionate about something it kind of offends you. when People arn't up on the latest termanology .

I get it :)
maybe[:/]

(man I wish I could spell ):S

Do you say:
A) I need to go pack my chute
B) I need to go pack my parachute
C) I need to go pack my canopy
D) Here's $5, pack, dammit!

----
Does this thread prove that
A) the OP is in a winterland state
B) has been hit by the winter flu (me!)
C) really is this anal
D) bored by the lack of threads here due to people affected by A and B

My brain equates the speaker with a whuffo.

My brain equates a speaker who often uses the word "whuffo" as an old fart and not very clever...
Regardless, I take your point and feel ashamed at my actions using that vulgar C word. I mistakenly thought skydiving (or 'canopying' if you will) was about a bunch of amazing individuals having an great time. Hell, my DZ actually has some people who don't care what you call the thing so long as you are safe, fun and be yourself. But I guess the sport is actually about sematics and trivial conformity.
Recommend renaming the USPA the USCA (United States Canopy Association) and reprint the magazine with new title.
Also, we all need to go back to the missionary position (belly to earth) and stop all the decadence of our sinful freeflying activities. It's immoral and not the way it was done back in the olden times when skydiving was pure.....

Yeah! and we should quit calling Relative work! My non-jumping friends don't know what it is!
Lets call it Formation Skyd..... oh wait.:S
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Yeah! and we should quit calling Relative work! My non-jumping friends don't know what it is!
Lets call it Formation Skyd..... oh wait.:S

I say we all stop doing everything altogether and just take a nice cozy nap in freefall. That way, nobody will get their feathers ruffled and there's no emotion or controversy.
Now, how can we make the air be quiet because it's too damn loud! We need to shut that air up.

My brain equates a speaker who often uses the word "whuffo" as an old fart and not very clever...
Regardless, I take your point and feel ashamed at my actions using that vulgar C word. I mistakenly thought skydiving (or 'canopying' if you will) was about a bunch of amazing individuals having an great time. Hell, my DZ actually has some people who don't care what you call the thing so long as you are safe, fun and be yourself. But I guess the sport is actually about sematics and trivial conformity.

Some of you are way too serious. Yes, I am an old fart, and I am certainly not very clever. I thought I did a decent job in my original post of "unseriousing" the whole thing. I will try to be more clever in the future. I am already pretty good at being safe, fun, and myself.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Some of you are way too serious. Yes, I am an old fart, and I am certainly not very clever. I thought I did a decent job in my original post of "unseriousing" the whole thing. I will try to be more clever in the future. I am already pretty good at being safe, fun, and myself.

Just giving you a hard time (you had to expect that starting a thread like this one). But seriously, as a new skydiver it is annoying when guys call you out on things like this (that seem completely irrelevant but make the person not in conformity feel somehow wrong or ignorant). I guess my point is that this should be about being completely your own individual so long as you are safe and don't kill anyone. No one should call you out just for the way you speak.
Having said that, I'd be interested in any new term for the fabric over our heads. And while we're at it, anyone have a term for the point on the way to altitude where everyone lets rip in the plane? At my DZ it is always 8-10,000, like clockwork. It should be a shaded area on the Alti to notify you of the danger, like the red and yellow lines.

Wow this is almost as funny as when I go sailing... the anal retetives get really pissed off when you call sheets 'bits of string' ... even ropes causes them to twitch... LMAO

So, do you always say aeroplane or, heaven forbid... plane:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

"Now, how can we make the air be quiet because it's too damn loud!"

One word. Wingsuit.

Freefalls long enough to take a nap too. Feathers get ruffled regardless, though. If they are not being ruffled, you are on the ground.
B|
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

"Now, how can we make the air be quiet because it's too damn loud!"

One word. Wingsuit.

Freefalls long enough to take a nap too. Feathers get ruffled regardless, though. If they are not being ruffled, you are on the ground.
B|

Yes, exactly, a wingsuit....or is it birdman suit?!?
Will I be accepted into the flock if I use the wrong one?[:/]