airdvr

How many jumps before first mal?

True...but the poiunt I am trying to get at is at some point in the progression a mal isn't that big a deal. But, if its early enough that you are still getting used to the environment and are faced with a mal it could be interesting. I really would like to know if any of us were faced with a mal on the FJ and continued with the sport.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

My first reserve ride was on jump #498. I was pushing to do #500 on the sunset load at Eloy last Christmas, but the Gods decided that that wasn't going to happen. My right break fired on opening, my Crossfire2 canopy spun up on me beyond control and the rest is history. Hello Mr Reserve canopy, nice to see you. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I suppose I have to call it a mal even if finally it settled without me having to do the emergency procedures. On jump #7 of my static line training (needed 17 static line jumps to open my parachute myself, I'm a slow learner), I was due to jump a spring pilot chute rig but the one that was ready to go was a free bag equipped rig. I jumped and felt that nothing was opening, nothing was happening. Mentally I said to myself "EMERGENCY" and put my hands on the handles. Before pulling I turned my head and took a look. Then I saw the canopy starting to deploy. It opened like hell, my back kept hurting for many days.

What happened: the rigger forgot to connect the static line to the bag, so that the line pulled the container open but did not pull the bag. My unstable position and my turning to watch helped the bag out of the container and of the burble and the wind made the rest. What made me happy was to realize that on jump #7 I reacted without loosing my cool and was ready to perform the emergency procedure as trained. The rigger is a good friend that felt very bad for a long time...

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I really would like to know if any of us were faced with a mal on the FJ and continued with the sport.

Not the first jump, but the third.....

It was a struggle to continue, and I couldn't shake my absolute terror of skydiving until somewhere around jump 60. I still get scared, but not like I used to.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That was a great story. How long before you were able to get back up in the air?

72ish hours later, I went to Perris.

That was such a difficult day. But I went, and jumped, and wasn't defeated by fear. And that's, I think, the biggest battle I've ever fought....

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Jump #31

Brand new equipment out of the box for the first time. Packed by a jumpmaster with over 3000 jumps. Nice opening:). Flew for long enough to check red and silver. As I reached up to do a controlability check if folded like a taco and spun like a merry go round. I was sure happy to see that Smart reserve up thereB|.
Blue ones
Jim

jump number 18, combo of unstowed break, line twists, and tension nots...... no way in hell i was goign to clear it even though it wasnt violent, so i chopped it.....

and no i didnt pack it, it was rental and i had got it off the rack, first jump of the day
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

First mal

Jump # 14. Two out. Reserve flopped out of container right after my main opened and inflated behind my main. Chopped at 3k.

Second mal

Jumper # 15. Two out. Reserve failed to exit deployment bag (good thing in this case), it came out right after the opening of my main. and I landed it with the bag hanging between my legs.

I list aerohio in my profile as home dz, but these mals were NOT at aerohio.

Jumps 19-29 were at aerohio and the equipment/airplane/instructors are all top notch..awesome dz!

Given that the average number of jumps per malfunction is around 500, the options on your poll are too restrictive to give a meaningful result.

Some of us have never had a cutaway and have way more than 300 jumps.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

:Sjump 9- horseshoe mal. Went to pull and as I done this I de-arched enough for me to flip onto my back during deployment(yep self-induced mal). The pc shot under my arm causing the bridle and lines to wrap around my arm. The main stayed in the bag floating above my arm by a couple of feet. I can remember looking at it (everything seemed to go in slow motion) and saying to myself please don't come out of the bag as it will really hurt. Used the reserve (sos system) and rode down with the main still in the bag between my legs. As I was a newby I didn't realise why everybody was fussing about when I got back. Passed the level the next day though.

It wasn't until a couple of days later that it sunk in how lucky I had been. Got it on video but I haven't a scooby how to upload it onto the video site

Blue skies

ROO