airdvr

How many jumps before first mal?

First on my 6th jump, total, dumped the reserve, main container openned during openning shock, wrapped up with the reserve. Man upstairs didn't want me, so I survived an entanglement. Next one was almost 2300 jumps later.
blue skies,

art

I've never had a true cutaway, but a fair lot of small mals... On my first post-AFF solo jump (8th jump total), the spring-loaded pilot chute fell on my back and so I had a 2100 ft opening. The alti hand reached the red and I dug for the cutaway pillow, and it probably made the PC get off me and finally open the main.

A few jumps later that same day, alti broke in freefall, I opened very low, the canopy fully inflated and just as I reached up to unstow the brakes, pop went the Cypres-released reserve... two-canopy landing.

A few jumps later still, I had my first ride on a then ridiculously small Spectre 190 that neither the owner nor any other student of my level of experience wanted to jump because of nil winds. The toggle was in a few knots around itself and so appeared like it was pulled halfway down. I opened very high because it was such a dangerous canopy :P (actually, after a 280 F-111 it was), at about 6k, noticed the toggle problem and remember thinking: shit, I am going to have to cut-away, but I don't want to! I looked at previously beautiful and now bloodthirsty ground far below and felt scared.

Since it was someone else's brand new canopy, I did not want to chop it that high, and decided to ride it down to 2k and meanwhile try to unknot the toggle, to no avail. So I pulled the other toggle so the canopy flew even, had a stand-up landing and was happy.

Jump #250 at Skydive Palatka. Opening shock from hell which snapped 3 lines. Horizon spinning, went to grab toggles and they were not there to be grabbed. Tried to counter spin by pulling on opposite rear riser to no effect. Cutaway at 2000, got stable, pulled reserve and under canopy again at 1200. Landed in front of DZ and bought a case of beer. That mal occurred on the same day I received my D rating.

2nd jump, tu7 military surplus, sleeve was off but canopy was closed and spinning, pulled handle on belly reserve which was borrowed from Philipine Air Force and had a pilot chute in it. Lucky for me it cleared and opened. The main then started inflating and was almost completely unwound when I landed in 10 foot tall sugar cane. Quite the ride!!

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!