SkydiveMO

Any rumors on the Katana 135/150 release?

I think it’s pretty sad when a canopy manufacturer like PD doesn’t have the knowledge and resources to design a canopy at a slightly larger scale. It shows that they don’t know what they are doing. They are still fumbling with it, trying to make it work.

It is not as easy as scaling the design, which won't guarantee similar flight characteristics.

For Great Deals on Gear

>It sounds like a Ford vs Chevy argument here and making negative
>comments about competitors' products isn't the most helpful thing.

I'm an aerodyne sponsored instructor, and I've gotten a lot of support from them. Nevertheless, the first Visions didn't fly well; they were released without enough testing. The Amax was so bad they discontinued it. Even Aubrey didn't like it all that much.

However, they did hit a home run with the Pilot; it's one of the best ellipticals on the market for beginning/intermediate jumpers, or jumpers who need more reliable openings. (Heck, between Amy and I, we have three!) And so far it looks like they took their time with the Mamba and got it right. Even the Visions fly much better now.

Now that said, I love my Katana and wouldn't fly anything else, but with all that research, you'd think PD would be able to write the correct Japanese character for Katana on the canopy. It gets all kinds of laughs out of people who can read Japanese because it sure doesn't say Katana.

Well, they were pretty close. The character on the Katana bottom skin is "yaiba", which is the character for "blade". "Katana" is very similar though; it's simply missing the little cross-bar on the left-hand downstroke.

Having said that, that character on the bottom of the canopy doesn't look too good anyway. I may be wrong and it could be some super cool calligraphist's work, but stylistically it looks like what happens when Western tattoists copy kanji from books. Always reminds me of those people whose tatts end up on hanzismatter.com.

Can you buy them plain?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Having said that, that character on the bottom of the canopy doesn't look too good anyway. I may be wrong and it could be some super cool calligraphist's work, but stylistically it looks like what happens when Western tattoists copy kanji from books.

same idea... being japanese my friends and i always laugh a bit when we see people with kanji that makes no sense or is just plain wrong that someone tattoos on themselves permanently. i think the katanas with the large logos only go to sponsored jumpers. most come with small logos on the stabilizers (as did mine)

getting a bit off topic here though.

If you are looking for a mid range canopy do your self a favor and put some jumps on one.

Mid range, does that make my Stiletto a good learners canopy:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Bill is just being honest. The Amax was a bust and the Vision was realeased to early. The Amax has been laid to rest and the Vision is a way better canopy now. It has been through many changes, but the damage may have been done already.

That is why we did so much testing on the final Mamba design. It is a very nice canopy.
Dom

I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding here...
I never thought Bill was making negative comments regarding PD. He is the picture of moderation and knowledge and as such, is a rare bird in these forums.
I was actually referring to the initial dig by the pro-PD camp against Aerodyne for offering free iPods of glasses with the Mamba. I thought it had nothing to do with if and when a 135 or 150 Katana was coming out and didn't contribute to the discussion.
I like both companies- my reserve is a Smart and my first canopy was a Pilot (which I preferred over the Sabre 2), but now fly a Katana. Neither company is perfect and it boils down to personal preference, which is why arguing about it is silly.

I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding here...
I never thought Bill was making negative comments regarding PD. He is the picture of moderation and knowledge and as such, is a rare bird in these forums.
I was actually referring to the initial dig by the pro-PD camp against Aerodyne for offering free iPods of glasses with the Mamba. I thought it had nothing to do with if and when a 135 or 150 Katana was coming out and didn't contribute to the discussion.
I like both companies- my reserve is a Smart and my first canopy was a Pilot (which I preferred over the Sabre 2), but now fly a Katana. Neither company is perfect and it boils down to personal preference, which is why arguing about it is silly.

I wasn't trying to dig at Aerodyne. I sell Aerodyne products. Many people are very happy with Aerodyne canopies, especially the Pilot. What I was trying to point out is that PD values their reputation for putting out a high quality product. If that means something gets an unanticipated extra year of test jumping (pulled number out of thin air) in order to be able to release the canopy they want to release, that is what will happen. They are very unlikely to rush the process. When and if the larger sizes are released, they will sell without any extra promotions.

Being in gear sales, I would never, ever promote a canopy because it comes with something else, unrelated, for free. (Personally, I would prefer to see an additional discount passed onto the customer.) I don't use the free backpack to promote the Katana, and I don't use the free iPod to promote the Mamba. I do not believe that canopies should be chosen based on what comes free with them. I believe even price (between different canopies) should be a secondary consideration in comparison to the opening, flight and landing characteristics.

I've never jumped either canopy, and unless my tastes take a turn for the high performance, it is unlikely I will any time soon. I have heard nothing bad about either canopy. I recommend anyone looking into either canopy to try both and decide for themselves. I do not presume to know which they will prefer. I merely want them to decide for the right reasons.

For Great Deals on Gear