josebaumanndez

Traveling with rig

I have never traveled on a commercial airliner with a rig. I am flying to Phoenix this weekend, have 2 rigs, and was thinking I should check one (in hard baggage), and carry the other. I would appreciate any of your advise.
---------------------------------------------------------

Everyday's a holiday, every meal's a banquet!

My bet is that PHX sees them all the time, although I did get sidetracked in the Tampa airport for half an hour. Expect delays, bring all your documentation and if you have a cypres use the resources they have (the card), and it helps if you have that TSA bulletin. DO your homework on it so you know your rights. The jackball TSA moron at Tampa wanted to take my rig, until his supervisor got there and said "Don't you remember training on these? Its a sport parachute. Let him go"

I have traveled thrice with my rig and I haven't had any troubles. Columbus, OH to Orlando, Columbus to LA and Columbus to Hawaii. I always pack my rig in a carry on rolly suitcase to protect it, and I have only been asked to take it out once and that was in Columbus and they loved it.

With as many bags as the airline "misplaces" I know I would be too nervous to check a rig... but that is just me.

Have fun! B|
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

I have traveled to a few places and have a hard set of rules I stand by. Always bring your rig as cary on but be smart about it.

Go out and buy the regulation carry on luggage for $40. Something with the telescoping handle and the wheels. Some airports are very long and your 25 lb. rig will get very heavy. This regulation lugage does not attract unwanted attention and the airport personell/staff know what regulation luggage looks like and knows it will fit in the aircraft.

Once past TSA security, the airline people are still on the lookout for large gear bags or luggage that looks large and might not fit into the overhead compartment.

No airline will insure your luggage for $4,000 and if they were to lose your rig as check in, your entire skydiving trip is screwed. If they lose my normal lugage, I don't care all that much. I can always buy T shirts, shorts and toothpaste when I get there but at least I can still skydive and the $$$ I have spend on airline tickets, lodging etc. will not be waisted.

Go here and print this out for the TSA rules as it pertains to parachutes and carry on:
http://tinyurl.com/bazf7

If you lost your Cypres card, go here and choose AIRTRAVEL:
http://tinyurl.com/7lywx

If you take both rigs, take your main one as carry on in as small a bad as you can, with nothing else in it but the rig, and your logbook / letters from USPA and TSA.

We've flown with our rigs both in carry on and check in. we preffer carry on, but didnt have any problems recently either way.

Of course, YMMV.
Remster

If you take both rigs, take your main one as carry on in as small a bad as you can, with nothing else in it but the rig, and your logbook / letters from USPA and TSA.

also doesn't hurt to have the Cypress card if you have one - or even blow ups of it, and a copy of the parachute policy for your particular airline, if they have one.

The TSA policy is the big thing. Have it and read it. Keep a copy on the rig also if you check your luggage (tuck it under a flap so that sticks out and it's the first thing seen if they open your bag.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What a frickin nightmear

Simplified instructions, because I already did the research for my own needs:

1. Print this TSA notice on high quality paper:
TSA Advisory Permitting Parachutes On Airplanes -- Acrobat Reader PDF
(Comes from this webpage)

2. Put one sheet per rig on top of the rig.

3. Bring your Cypres card and bring it with your carry-on rig. If you lost the card or need more copies, print the Cypres card JPEG's from this thread.

4. Use a gym bag at the minimum, for the carryon. You don't want your rig in plain view except when they need to look at it. That's all you need. (Better rig protection is recommended, but you can grab a gym bag in a pinch)

Done. Very useful information in this dropzone thread about travelling with rigs.

In addition to all the good advice given so far I like to tie the reserve handle so that it cannot be pulled on accident when the tsa agent who has never seen a rig before tries to pick it up. If you are nervous that you might forget to untie the handle before you jump, then use the chest strap to secure the handle.

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

Not that I know of. I have a Vigil that I bought new in February and it didn't come with any such card. If they're now producing them, I'm not aware of that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not that I know of. I have a Vigil that I bought new in February and it didn't come with any such card. If they're now producing them, I'm not aware of that.

they didn't send you one b/c you're a ludite. they didn't think you would need one when you boarded your menonite wagon.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

That must have been it. Couldn't be that my D.O.M. was before the date on the card. ;)

no, that couldn't be it. the answer, my friend, is never the one that makes the most sense. the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Wink says hi, btw.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I was once told to unpack both canopies (Columbus, Ohio). Didn't matter that I had the TSA policy and everything else others have mentioned here with me. They said the TSA policy had been superseded (not true or course). They have the advantage of time, and can allow/disallow what they want.

I think he was just bored and looking for someone to inconvenience.

This is the only time I've had trouble, but it does show that you should be prepared to check it with the regular baggage if they are dumbasses.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

they didn't send you one b/c you're a ludite. they didn't think you would need one when you boarded your menonite wagon.

Girl, he worked you. Hah!:D

I was once told to unpack both canopies (Columbus, Ohio). Didn't matter that I had the TSA policy
and everything else others have mentioned here with me. They said the TSA policy had been superseded
(not true or course). They have the advantage of time, and can allow/disallow what they want.

What was the outcome? Did you put the rig in checked baggage? Did you drop a dime on the TSA guy
when you finished your trip?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I thought I could add something to this thread with my experience but its all here.... TSA letter... Cypres Card, USPA card and license and the airlines individual policy towards rigs, i have travelled with mine over 6 times and NEVER had a problem...i ALWAYS carry on.... I wouldnt let my rig go below although I know people who do and it has worked fine for them..
have a great trip!!!
Blue Slies,
dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

"Drop a dime" on the TSA guy?? For what?

Actually, even if you read the FAA, and TSA directives on this, they have EVERY RIGHT to ask you to do this. The only "requirement" is that you are allowed to be present while they do. The fact that they (apparently) simply allowed HIM to do it (for them, instead of THEM doing it while he merely watched) would be looked at (by them) as even a "favor", and an "accomodation" that they did NOT even have to give (that much)! ...Just "FYI".

That being said, with all the travel I do, I have never had such problem at all ...knock wood.

Best advice in any case when faced with this possiblity I think, would be to remain as calm, and reasonable and NON-CONFRONTATIONAL as possible. Which is also why you do not want the added pressure of being either late or pressed for time to get to your flight. As "inconvenient" as it may seem, allow yourself PLENTY of time arriving at the airport for your flight. Hanging out even a few hours before and sitting bored, is far less "inconvenient" than having to feel pressured to dealing with these potential issues and because of the stress doing so as a result, in the 'wrong" way. ...I've seen that. It aint pretty.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

The best story (actually the worst) for checking in your rig came about 6 months ago from our National Editor for our Skydiving magazine here in Canada.

She went on a trip somewhere in the US and when she returned, her rig was a mess. Somewhere between when the bag was checked in (US) and picking it up in Canada, it was completle opened and inspected.

She waited at the normal baggage carrosel and her suitcase never came around. Finally she was directed to another place where the over sized/problem luggage was sent.

The whole mess of container and parachutes was on the floor, opened and lying on the floor. Once someone inspected it, it didn't quite fit back into the luggage as before. It was taken off this special carocel and left on the floor to pick up. Right after about 300 people walked all over the place with their own luggage on their way out. Major hub, Toronto.

I have also heard stories of the TSA using bolt cutters and cutting the laterial of a harness. Hard cable housings that look pretty much like electrical housings with a little something inside. Could be an electrical wire, better look inside and see :(

I saw that article too.

That's why I decided to carryon.

I went through security 4 times in my trip.
- 2 didn't even get a second look. (quick pass through X-ray)
- 1 took a double take. (looked at X-ray carefully)
- 1 wanted to open the rig and started tugging at it but I pointed at the TSA paper. Whew! They decided to just wave it on rather than go through the trouble of me opening it for them as the TSA paper requires.

This may be a representative sampling of various diferent airports. You won't have much problems most of the time, and you won't be delayed most of the time, but sometimes you get hit by an unexpected annoying-but-understandable delay by cautious security people... Best thing to do is be prepared.

If you check in, I am sure most of the time nothing will happen, but I am scared of the occasional disaster by the inexperienced inspector. It's much easier to have a ruined rig than to win the lottery! So, even tape the TSA security advisory to the rig, if you have a second rig -- that way they have to rip the TSA advisory off to even look at it, and they are forced to read the TSA advisory... In fact, I'd rather have them leave the rig behind than to open the thing. I'd rather rent than to see my rig ruined... So they better READ the genuine TSA advisory which does suggest the rig to be held back instead of being "force-inspected-and-hurried-along"...