BabyBlues

Shayna Richardson's One and Only Post...Read It and Get Over It!!!!

Nice rant.Was that aimed at me??Where is that little smiliey with the middle finger.I might as well stoop on down.

not aimed at you, it was aimd at everybody who has taken the nit picking, holier than thou approach to this

After reading all the posts and also posting my 2 cents worth, there is no "official" outcome of this incident.

Shayna, you say this is your one and only post on what happened, but there are many questions unanswered and you are the only person that can answer them.

Considering that this is a skydiving forum and ALL skydivers LEARN from other's mistakes, then:

Rather than court the media, please spend your time telling the community here what happened and answsering their questions - the skydivers here are going to benefit more from this than the international media.

Also, you could probably learn a thing or two as well.

If some lost teeth are the biggest of your worries after your lucky escape from death, well I salute you. I know many more skydivers who have had accidents and were not so lucky to have had the lasting effect of not having a full mouth of teeth - they are in wheelchairs, have mobility problems, can't jump again although they wish they could, and the list goes on. Not one of them has sought out media coverage to get help.

Please do not think that I am attacking you, but if you post here and court the media, you are answerable to the community.

Liz

just playing Devil's Advocate so please don't lynch me here ;)......

back on page 8 or 9 someone posted: "You don't have insurance due to your job and hobby. OK, but you *need* a job and *want* a hobby.

Skydiving is not a need. To do a high risk sport, just cause you want to, when you could lose everything is bad judgment.
"
....so i ask: Driving is NOT a *need* either. Would you (the poster OR anyone else) consider getting up earlier & taking the bus? Very doubtful. i have no health insurance. does that mean i should lock myself in my house because if i get sick i cannot afford the bills? Extremely doubtful.

my point is, driving or skydiving -- neither is a need nor is insurance required (well auto insurance, but no one knows til you get pulled over). but many people assume that risk because we cannot live our life in fear or based on the "what if"s. do you still think she was wrong for jumping? or are you pissed that now she has jumped, she cannot face the music? OR BOTH?

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

my point is, driving or skydiving -- neither is a need nor is insurance required (well auto insurance, but no one knows til you get pulled over).

With this statement you just lost any creditably you may have started with. Its called being responsible.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ok Ok

I am forced to make a contribution to this thread at this point.

This incident first came to my attentioon a few weeks back in the incidents forum. Since then I have seen it reported twice on the news here in Holland, once on a Youth news channel. As a result i have also had to deal with concerned whuffo relatives and friends calling me up to try to talk me out of, as they see it, near certain death. It was only reported here as being 1. Her first jump and 2. That her main totally failed to open. So the gear safety has been called into question.
At first it was incorrectly reported that she had been jumping a 170 main...later corrected to the 190.
I made an ill considered post regarding the kind of thinking that goes into putting a low jump number student out on a canopy like that.

Now people lets think this through a bit. Sure her weight was within tolerance for the wingloading, but was it a good idea? I dont think so.

Other posters have stated that they made their student jumps on 190's ect and that some dz's routinely put their students out on canopies like that.

Is this really a prize winning idea? Again I dont think so.

Do I have to point out the the differences between these canopies and student rigs are huge?
If Shayna had been under a 260 doing riser turns and her toggle had popped would the spin induced have sent her into the same level of panic as the 190 Sabre did? I doubt it very much, though she might be someone who is very easily spooked, I don't know her personally so I cannot tell. Once again though why was she doing riser turns on her first solo AFF at an unfamiliar DZ. Have we forgotten that riser turns can be done after the breaks are unstowed and that doing em with breaks stowed has the potential to cause a release? Obviously Rick forgot to mention that bit in her briefing or she forgot about it, who knows?

And then we have the reserve mal situation, now that might have happened no mater what size it was and I would still love to know why it was in a spin since stuck sliders do not usually result in a spinning malfunction. I read somewhere else that there my mave been a small pressure knot but that by the time the rig was inspected it had dissapeared. We may never know the answer to that one.

There are a few lessons to be learned from this besides the fact that it is a good idea to have health insurance. The main thing is not to overload students with too many things at the same time, andnever ever overestimate students, even if they are your significant other.

I can do nothing to change the policies of instructors who choose to throw their students in at the deep end of the pool but they will have to at least realise that not all students can handle the sensory overload associated with the wind whisteling by your ears and the loud flapping slider caused byt he extra airspeed. I have no doubt that these things factored in shayna's descision to cut although she may not remember them as such. Unless Rick asked her to collapse her slider too? If that was the case she was most certainly overloaded.

Anyway that is my opinion and assesment of this whole circus and I stand by my statement: Higher Performance canopies are NOT safe for people who are just starting out, no matter what the wingloading.
*Disclaimer*
The views expressed in the above post may or may not be the result of drunkeness or temporary insanity and should only rarely be construed as the views of the poster himself

if you post here and court the media, you are answerable to the community.

[rant mode on]
That be the same 'community' that slandered and slaughtered her in this public forum (can you say 'trial'?) for 'talking to the press / taking advantage of the situation / jumping uninsured / dating an instructor'? :$:$:$

She wants her teeth back.
She wants her health back.
She wants her looks back.

"Well I go through life without teeth AND always, always, always take responsability for my own actions"

"Good for you. I'd rather have teeth..."

BTW you can safely assume that she was uninsured for she would lose all her rights with the public statements she made ("I and I alone am responsible for this accident"). Something to do with fine prints in the policy...

Ever had an encounter with an insurance company from an INSURED skydiver after the mishap?

Well, I had and can asure you that they practically gag their client in a situation like this for they will reserve their right to go after the DZ, the airplane owner, the rigger, the parachute manufacturer, the owner of the asphalt and whoever they think they can assign blame to and stand a chance to get money from. As a rule of thumb therefore statements like Shanya's are explicetly FORBIDDEN in the policy at the risk of them NOT paying the bill...

As for 'courting the media' - she gets's travel expenses, so who is courting who? Let's not forget that instead of somebody dying there may be two people emerging alive from the accident scene.
Human interestwise they (the press) would go after her - and they did. If that gets her on Oprah, dr Phill and extreme make-over and some people pick up (part of) the huge bill with things like a 'baby shower on National TV'? She ought to walk away from that with a debt of several years income and THEN we would all rush in to help her?

I 'd jump at the opportunity in a hartbeat if I were her and wouldn't give a rats ass about the hurt feelings of the skydiving community...:P

What ALL skydivers can LEARN from this accident even without the help of Shanya and Rick?

Get insurance.

Don't chop to soon.

Get insurance.

Then again, don't chop to late either...

Get insurance.

And if your reserve is spinning violently with the slider half way up you can panic or do something productive like pulling strings, see if you can get it to fly straight and if you are lucky enough to land it somewhere unobstructed and soft. (Hint: avoid parking lots / aim for wet grassland)

I hope I don't panic in that situation but I'm not sure I wont because I have zero experience in that department since all my reserves opened flawlessly untill now. Then again, they number more than Shanya's total number of jumps so my chances are better than hers, I suppose...

And all your poor selfrighteous souls that are called for an explanation at the water cooler and feel 'incovenient' or that blame her personally for the raised insurance premiums or that worry that there maybe less tandemstudents next year?

Get a life!
[rant mode off]

BTW. Did I mention that it would be in everybodies own interest to get insurance when they are involved in skydiving?... :S

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

back on page 8 or 9 someone posted: "You don't have insurance due to your job and hobby. OK, but you *need* a job and *want* a hobby.

Skydiving is not a need. To do a high risk sport, just cause you want to, when you could lose everything is bad judgment. "
....so i ask: Driving is NOT a *need* either. Would you (the poster OR anyone else) consider getting up earlier & taking the bus?

If you can't see the difference between driving to go to work, school, shopping. Or jumping from a plane for fun...Then there is no point talking about anything.

A better comparison would be driving a race car on weekends. That would also be foolish to do without insurance.

i have no health insurance. does that mean i should lock myself in my house because if i get sick i cannot afford the bills?

Again, you are going far off the spectrum with that one.

my point is, driving or skydiving -- neither is a need nor is insurance required

Driving to go to work is way different than driving a racecar.

There are three groups in this debate:

One group buys into the sport is safe BS, and think they are skilled enough to manage it all the time...So they don't think they need a backup plan such as insurance.

Another group is the "You can't tell me what to do, and I am entitlted to free health care from your hard work" side.....Basicly people who refuse to be responsible and want others to pay for their mistakes.

The third group is the group I belong to. I want you to be responsible for your actions and not demand that I pay for your stupid decisions.

but many people assume that risk because we cannot live our life in fear or based on the "what if"s.

The be ready to own up to the cost of your choices and not demand that I pay for your stupid decisions.

do you still think she was wrong for jumping? or are you pissed that now she has jumped, she cannot face the music? OR BOTH?

Both. If you choose to make stupid choices (and that is your right...even if it is stupid), face the music.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Has anybody realized the possibility that Shayna has not logged back on here since that post because she meant it as a one time thing?

Everybody else who have directed their comments at her may have been wasting their time...

:|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Has anybody realized the possibility that Shayna has not logged back on here since that post because she meant it as a one time thing?

Everybody else who have directed their comments at her may have been wasting their time...

:|

Oh please.. you know she's been watching this thread :P. Her profile says she last logged on just a few hours ago.

She hasn't posted. But was logged on recently... :P

(But 'knowing' you, you probably checked before you posted... ) :)

Wasn't it John Irving who wrote something about always passing*) open windows and being in need of a friendly rugged and reliable bear...

(can you "google" that?) ;)
*) or was it bypassing... thats what you get from being lazy and reading the dutch translation... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I 'd jump at the opportunity in a hartbeat if I were her and wouldn't give a rats ass about the hurt feelings of the skydiving community...:P

ok...but should she, or you, expect the skydiving community to welcome her with open arms, or donate any money, if she "doesn't give a rats ass" about the community in the first place. i'm barely a member of this community, but i know enough that if i piss on the community, what little "membership" i do have is going to disappear quickly. to me, declining to help her, or criticizing her decisions is not self righteousness, it's simply understanding that what you are saying is correct: she jumped at an opportunity to get financial assistance and said to hell with the consequences or fall out. she's got bills to pay.
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

The name "bandwagon fallacy" comes from the phrase "jump on the bandwagon" or "climb on the bandwagon", a bandwagon being a wagon big enough to hold a band of musicians. In past political campaigns, candidates would ride a bandwagon through town, and people would show support for the candidate by climbing aboard the wagon. The phrase has come to refer to joining a cause because of its popularity.

The difference was WE got togther to help Chris and Gus. The families did not start a media shitstorm that put the sport in a bad light and ask for help. In fact Gus's Family AVOIDED the media.

Get over it...broken legs....dead bodies....no insurance, fund raisers, people trying to get help for medical bills it's there and will stay there.
Bad light on the sport.....like I said, get over it!!!!!skydiving / skydivers are no different from anything else that the media covers.
STEP DOWN OFF YOUR PEDESTALS
Still disgusted and burnt out......maybe I should take up golf.......oh wait a minute I DONT have medical coverage....god forbid I get hit with a fucking golf club and get hurt or something!
I think I will just lock myself in the bus and meditate :P

ok...but should she, or you, expect the skydiving community to welcome her with open arms

As long as she has money, the DZO will accept her.

if she "doesn't give a rats ass" about the community in the first place.

She has 9 jumps, she has been badly injured. Why should she give a shit about a group of people she barely knew?

she jumped at an opportunity to get financial assistance and said to hell with the consequences or fall out. she's got bills to pay.

Fear is more powerful than love. When you are that far in the red, you revert to a primal instinct. Save yourself. Integrity, love and respect are all great things as long as they are convenient.

UntamedDOG

On skydivingmovies.com it has a cnn flick with a interview of her... what I found interesting is

A. She has partial dentures but is schelded to get implants in a year... this is what she wants donations for...

B. She states that with her Main Canopy that she "did everything she was trained to do, but it wouldnt be fixed so she cut it away"

C. She said she is going to skydive again because this "cant/wont happen again" I think she even implied that a repeat incident is impossible

D First she said if she had known she was pregnant she wouldnt have jumped, but then towards the end when they asked her about jumping again she stated "of course, if they would allow a broken pregnant women to jump Id do it right now"

E. She stated she gave up in the end and just realized she was goign to die.... I personally was taught to fight for survival until I pound in

Personally, Im not gonna comment on her reality vs the reality of the incident, Im glad she is okay, I dont mind what she says because she has 10 jumps and like me is not proficient at this sport ... she isnt a skygod... she messed up, she got hurt and damn glad she is able to talk about it...I just found the interview interesting because once again comparing it to her other interviews things are well fishy...

Good luck to her and her child...
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I just found the interview interesting because once again comparing it to her other interviews things are well fishy...

If you watch the video again she did hit the concrete pretty hard. Let's blame head trauma on all the inconsistencies and call it a day. :|

As long as she has money, the DZO will accept her.

She has 9 jumps, she has been badly injured. Why should she give a shit about a group of people she barely knew?

Fear is more powerful than love. When you are that far in the red, you revert to a primal instinct. Save yourself. Integrity, love and respect are all great things as long as they are convenient.

UntamedDOG

probably true, but i think i was talking about something that isn't as concrete as the exchange of $. there's a difference between accepting $ for services/products, as the DZO would do, and inviting, or accepting someone into a group. sure shayna, if you want to jump, i'm sure you'll find a DZ to take your Visa/MC, but don't be surprised if some people at the DZ would rather not be around you. (not that this couldnt happen anyway, dz politics and drama being what they are)

because she's going to continue skydiving, and eventually, i'm assuming, she'll want to be part of some group, whether it be large or small i don't care.

finally, i think you missed the TFA that indicates she's now engaged and planning marriage, as soon as the b/f finalizes his divorce. seems like love, is still convenient enough for her, she's not that "primal". for what it's worth, i get what you're saying. i'm just pointing out that her actions don't seem to put her in the category of "so scared she doesn't have time for anything else"
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Shayna did not just break a femur or a tib fib. She almost broke every bone in her body. I am sure her medical bills are outrageous and she needs help paying them. Instead of telling her what she should have done before the accident why not have a heart and help her out now.

I think some people on here that posts negatively deep down are just jealous that she got international attention.

First off, you may not know the whole situation! That's what is really upsetting...there were many things going on behind the scenes that were never reported.

She did not break almost every bone in her body..she broke her pelvis? Femur? And obviously her face.

Am I saddened that a fellow skydiver..that started at my DZ got horribly hurt? You bet!

But, to say that the people posting negatively are just jealous is just plain stupid. I have nothing to be jealous with her about. I've recently retired..I'm living on my IRA..I just put myself thru school to get a new, better paying job then what I was doing (a cop). I have health insurance. If I f-ed up and bit the ground...all I would want is some visitation at the hospital. It's MY RESPONSIBILITY to take care of my own injuries!!

The problem with Shayna's media attention getting is a. the whole story is not being reported, b. it's the "I screwed up and I want Uncle Sam's Golden Spoon to feed me, clothe me, and take care of me" syndrome, c. The skydiving community is hurt over this situation. Sorry...I ain't paying for the bills. I'll offer rides, help with housework, etc.

Again, though, I have no sympathy due to lots of behind the scenes info that was not reported. Well, let me modify that. She was the student..and led down the wrong path. THere were many warning signs that could have been heeded...but chosen to be ignored (whether intentionally or not). Don't aire your dirty laundry on national tv...

C. She said she is going to skydive again because this "cant/wont happen again" I think she even implied that a repeat incident is impossible

Add this to what she says in her first post defending the size of her reserve "Its not like I thought I'd actually have to use it!". Thats a dangerous attitude in skydiving.

Then again, she's only a student and lots of people (read, nearly everyone) enter the sport with big misconceptions about what goes on.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Someone asked "What is Industrial Haze?"

It is a local dzs only membership discussion forum that Shayna and Rick are members of.

Someone asked "How can I help her out?"

If you would like to contribute call (417)-672-2572 or write:
Bank of Ash Grove
Shayna Richardson Medical Fund
Highway 160
Ash Grove, MO 65604

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

With this statement you just lost any creditably you may have started with. Its called being responsible.

creditably? .....ANYWAY, is it not fact that although it is against the law & people SHOULD NOT drive w/o auto insurance, many people do? yes, because (in most situations) no one discovers/worries that the driver is uninsured until an incident happens.....
in relation to skydiving, (as many others have stated) YES death/injury was always an option, but *i belive* Shayna wasn't focusing on all the MIGHT HAPPENs. that's why i'm trying to understand posters' rage -- how many of us actually live our life like that?

furthermore, i don't understand how i'm fraudulent because i was simply playing devil's advocate..... but i loved how you tried to judge me based on 1 post..... gee, i don't have health insurance so i must not be "responsible".

RON~ i really have to disagree w/you. Driving is NOT a need..... it is a convenience. Skydiving is NOT a need...... it is a hobby/convenience. same principle, which is why i asked my Q. what i was trying to get at is: IF nothing had happened to her & she passed jump #X would this be such a big deal? are you appalled by her ACTION or her REACTION or both? (which you answered, so thanks for sharing your opinion)

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com