BabyBlues

Shayna Richardson's One and Only Post...Read It and Get Over It!!!!

I think people NEED to stop saying shit they don't know what they are talking about! I haven't made a single dime off of any of this!!! Nothing I have said to the media has been bullshit...I am sorry if you think a near death ACCIDENT is bullshit...shows how large a heart you...and many others have. FYI I haven't even been home to check dropzone.com...or any other site for that matter in over a week...and neither has Rick.

If people want to ban me for having a skydiving accident then it will be a loss of money for them. I am going to keep jumping, and so is Rick. That is our choice, and no one elses. I want someone to tell me something that I specifically said that is so called "ruining" skydiving. All I ever say is that it was I am a STUDENT...and it was MY FAULT...and that I still LOVE the sport...and YES...I will do it again. Please tell me what is so wrong with that?!?!?

Like I said up top...you can choose to hear the truth or not...I haven't made a cent from any of this. I have nearly $200,000 in medical bills plus nearly $25,000 to get my teeth back. I simply wanted to ask America for help. Why should I have to run around with no teeth in my mouth for the rest of my life because of a accident?!?!? I need help, and this country is full of people who can do just that...and I will find them! If you, or any other skydivier has a problem with it you can dwell on it in your hearts...and maybe sometime actually listen to one of the news programs...and hear what I am saying.

At no point am I saying anything bad about skydiving. I would like to point out that right after the accident I went on to industrial haze...myself...and explained the accident...that still didn't stop the rumurs. So why now would I want to waste my time going on to dropzone.com or industrial haze when you all have clearly made up your minds what you think to be the truth. I am starting to think that it is not my story hurting skydiving, but so called "friends" that are out to ruin someone for having an accident.

I was jumping a canopy that I personally asked a professional from PD about jumping...and was told there was nothing wrong with that canopy. I weigh 120 lbs...the canopy was a 190!!! My reserve was not a 120...I would like to know the dumbass who just thought they knew something...but like the rest of you know nothing...my reserve was a 170...again at 120 lbs was more then big enough...as if I really went up planning to use it. I had 4 instuctors...and I was trained in my first jump course by the best of the best at Freefall Express...and no I am not talking about Rick...although I find him to be an excellent instructor. I think everyone in the skydiving community simply has forgotten what an "accident" is. I was trained the same as all the other students, and the "accident" was my fault...and NO ONE elses.

I had a perfect skydive in which I got stable, did my circle of awarness, waved off, and deployed on time. Rick was right there helping me and correcting me during the dive. Once I was under the canopy what could he possibly do to help me?!?! It was up to me to know what to do, and how to react to a problem. It isn't that I wasn't taught what to do...I simply paniced and didn't do it. So, how is this Rick's fault, or any of my other instructors for that matter?

I think everyone at dz.com or industrial haze needs to get a life, and get out of mine! I am not going to explain anything again, or try to clear my name or Rick's. We know the truth, and luckly so do the people who matter...which guess what...aren't ANY of you! I do nothing but promote skydiving, and my love for the sport. If you still have a problem with it I will just have to ask you to search your heart...and talk to God. To me it seems like you are all questioning his amazing works?!?!?!

Edited by slotperfect to change subject line to title case (was all caps), and broke the long post into paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Get over it,
Shayna

I do have a curiosity question. Insurance? did they choose not to pay??? That would suck royally >:(. If so I would like to know which insurance co to stay away from.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Shayna - or somebody, since she vowed not to post again - please post the bare bones details of the incident. Many of us have not seen any of the media coverage of which you speak. I have had people tell me they saw it and called it "an amazing story." Other than that I know nothing of the incident.

The long explanation will be better supported with the basic facts surrounding what happened, or a link to another thread on this board or others that contains that information.

Meanwhile, I edited your post a bit to make it easier to read - it's a long one.

Heal quickly . . .
Arrive Safely

John

I think that was needed. Happy to hear that u will be back in the air as soon as u get the oppertunity. I have read many posts on ur accident and based on my low experience have not commented. People that have asked me if i saw it on tv. I say yes and say that it was a mistake that i too could have possibly done. its a panic situation. When its a new panic situation sometimes u go for the one way out u know.

In my FJC it was... look right grab right, look left grab left, peel-punch-sweep, peel-punch-sweep. and of course arch.

Like i said, i too in a panic state with few jumps for experience would do what im taught. No way to say for sure if my actions would have been the same, but I know one thing for sure..

after reading about ur incident, I will know what to do in the event should it happen to me.

Get well and get back in the air. Hope u get some help with the expenses. This also makes me want to look very closely at my insurance poliy. :|

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

So far I've stayed out of this one, but I have to reply to this -

I have nearly $200,000 in medical bills plus nearly $25,000 to get my teeth back. I simply wanted to ask America for help. Why should I have to run around with no teeth in my mouth for the rest of my life because of a accident?!?!? I need help, and this country is full of people who can do just that...and I will find them!

You chose to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. No one forced you to do it. It was your decision.

When you made that decision, whether you knew it or not, you accepted all the risks that go along with throwing yourself at the ground at a high rate of speed relying only on some fabric and lines that have been known to not work in the past.

You are responsible for your accident. No one else. You.

Take responsibility for yourself, your choices, your decisions and your actions and you'll get respect. Expect others to pay for your choices, decisions and actions and you'll get exactly what you've been reading here.

Like I said up top...you can choose to hear the truth or not...I haven't made a cent from any of this. I have nearly $200,000 in medical bills plus nearly $25,000 to get my teeth back. I simply wanted to ask America for help. Why should I have to run around with no teeth in my mouth for the rest of my life because of a accident?!?!? I need help, and this country is full of people who can do just that...and I will find them!

I find it disturbing that in lieu of simply having health insurance in the first place, you make it the rest of the country's job to pay for your injuries. If you can't afford the health insurance, you can't afford the sport. It's not just a matter of being able to pay for the jumps, there are ancillary costs associated with the sport that are every bit as important as the actual sport.

In fact, by not having health insurance, those of us WITH health insurance will have higher costs. For every person who gets hurt and cannot pay, it drives up the cost for those who can and do pay, which is then passed on to insurance, who raise their rates to maintain their profit levels.

I find it unfortunate you had the accident, but you alone made the choice to jump, and you alone made the choice to jump without insurance.
cavete terrae.

Hi Shayna.

I don't think you should feel bad for going public with your story, and I have no doubt that many here on dropzone.com would have made the same decision. It would be great if someone out there could help you financially. Why not? There's a lot of money floating around among people willing to use it for a good cause.

I wish all our friends could impact and live. My mother, sister, and I skydive together. We were thrilled to see your television segment and thought it was a positive story for our sport.

Blue Skies, Olivia

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/13/skydiver.plunge.ap/

My first post I chose to be tactful, and ask the question that would answer why most of us are pissed. If you had insurance and it didnt pay, or if you just were not insured.

you ask...

Why should I have to run around with no teeth in my mouth for the rest of my life because of a accident?!?!?

If you have no health insurance...yes you should...that was your decision to make. It is not the problem of the rest of us here to pay for your choices to jump uninsured if that was the case. The question I posed, about weather insurance paid or refused. Lots of insurance policys state very bluntly what is covered, and isnt covered. Skydiving is normally #1 on those lists. If that was the case, then same situation, you chose to do something where risk of serious injury is high underinsured.

Do not come crying to me to give you a dime. You make choices in your life, and you need to deal with the consequences. Skydiving is dangerous, you chose to do it. When it bit you in the ass, and you were not prepared you came crying. that is not our problem you made a decision that as far as I am concerned is stupid.

I have been on the ground for the last 7 months due to injury (non skydiving related) which required surgery (I had insurance...imagine that, it was only $600 out of my pocket, where the bills were over 30,000!) and then being uninsured. I am not taking the risk of getting hurt and being stuck with the bills. It is called common sense.

You are trying to sensationalize the fact you made poor choices....and prying on the sentimental people of this country to bail you out because you couldnt make a good judgment call??? That my dear is what "I" have a problem with. Yes accidents happen, things happen, but you made a choice to jump uninsured. Not my problem you cant pay your bills.

:|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Hi Shayna.

I don't think you should feel bad for going public with your story, and I have no doubt that many here on dropzone.com would have made the same decision. It would be great if someone out there could help you financially. Why not? There's a lot of money floating around among people willing to use it for a good cause.

Blue Skies, Olivia

I know PLENTY of people who have been hurt and it has barely made a blip on the radar of National News.

And those same people are not out hounding for donations.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

and I have no doubt that many here on dropzone.com would have made the same decision.

Im sorry, I have to completely disagree with this....
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I know PLENTY of people who have been hurt and it has barely made a blip on the radar of National News.

I know, but there's no reason to judge her for it. Let her be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shayna survived something that people don't usually walk away from. Plastic surgery is expensive, and it would be great if she can live the rest of her life happy with herself. I think she's an amazing person in the fact that she could calmly watch the video of what happened, talk postively about it, and want to do it again!

When you made that decision, whether you knew it or not, you accepted all the risks that go along with throwing yourself at the ground at a high rate of speed relying only on some fabric and lines that have been known to not work in the past.

You are responsible for your accident. No one else. You.

Take responsibility for yourself, your choices, your decisions and your actions and you'll get respect. Expect others to pay for your choices, decisions and actions and you'll get exactly what you've been reading here.

Shayna, reread that. It was great advice.

Thanks Lisa. I thought it was just me.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Quote: In fact, by not having health insurance, those of us WITH health insurance will have higher costs. For every person who gets hurt and cannot pay, it drives up the cost for those who can and do pay, which is then passed on to insurance, who raise their rates to maintain their profit levels.

Welcome to America, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Be thankful that you live in "the land of the free and the home of the brave."
A lot of European DZS would not let you jump until you provide proof of medical insurance. I remember specifically a long oncversation with a French manifestor about insurance.
Sorry folks, but medical insurance is one area where Americans sadly lag behind the rest of the industrialized world.

Well, the point was that I believe MOST people here on dz.com and most skydivers would NOT go out on national tv looking for help and making their mistakes publicly known.

The most I have seen are conscience of the fact that mistakes are their own and they deal with them, either on their own or with the help of close friends. They don't go begging to strangers for the mistakes they make. Its called personal responsibility and I have the right to call it on anyone who is lacking in it.

I am not judging her personally. She could be a really nice person. I am balking at her actions.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

When people choose to take their story to the mainstream media, whatever there motives might be, there are going to be people who share their opposing opinions in public forums as well.

As long as those opinions fit the forum rules, and are met with no objection from the owner of this website, then all opinions are welcome - even if you or I don't agree with them.

I won't judge her choices, especially since I know very little about the actual facts surrounding the incident. I will however say that to assume that "many here on dropzone.com would have made the same decision" is a bit of a stretch.
Arrive Safely

John

I see what you're saying. I passed judgement by saying that about dropzone.com members. Please excuse me. What I was thinking was that it's easy for any of us to say that we wouldn't do something, but until we're faced with the situation, we'll never really know how we'd react.

There are two types of medical insurance. The first covers things like Dr Visits, check ups, surgery and similar. The second type covers just major injuries, this type is fairly affordable and depending on the company and policy it can cost as little as $50-$100 a month. If you can afford to skydive there is NO REASON you can not afford this major medical coverage. To everyone reading this thread...

If you have no medical insurance please do everyone a favor and get at least major medical insurance. Its a cost of 2-5 jumps a month and it can save you hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills when you get hurt. A simple surgerry to repair a broken leg will cost upwards of $5000 easy. If you can't afford major medical then you really can't afford to skydive.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I will just chime in to say something I have said on dz.com before. All the people that say you should not jump if you don't have insurance really need to understand the realities of our sport. 90% of the people who work full time at dropzones do not have insurance. If they get hurt they are in trouble. But, they still jump and work in the sport they love. There are World Champions that jump everyday that do not have insurance. Do you all think all these people should stop jumping? They will laugh at you if you tell them to.

Shayna did not just break a femur or a tib fib. She almost broke every bone in her body. I am sure her medical bills are outrageous and she needs help paying them. Instead of telling her what she should have done before the accident why not have a heart and help her out now.

I think some people on here that posts negatively deep down are just jealous that she got international attention.

Ashtanga, PERFECTLY said!

I watched her interview on the 'TODAY' show with Matt and Katie and it was the 1st time I heard about the accident, I live in the desert, and I was blown away on what she had to say.

It was almost a perfect interview. I couldn't have spoken better. She had nothing to say except good things about the sport and the fact that you want to jump again, RIGHT ON!!!

I had a near death experience BASE jumping just over a year ago and I'm still not completely 100% comfortable in BASE at this point.

The video guy, Rick, great job of staying with her and keeping your head up for your own landing area.

Shayna Richardson, give me a call and I'll be glad to take you up skydiving anytime, well not in the winter time, we are closed. You did a great job during that interview!

THey should do a poll on how many skydivers actually HAS heath insurance. Hell I don't have health insurance.

Shayna, excellent job on still being alive. You used up 1 life on that jump. We all make mistakes, some you can walk away from, some you can't.

-
Clint

There are World Champions that jump everyday that do not have insurance. Do you all think all these people should stop jumping? They will laugh at you if you tell them to.

And you know that to be a fact how?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey