BabyBlues

Shayna Richardson's One and Only Post...Read It and Get Over It!!!!

i dunno bout in the US but i rememebr signing a forn when i started declaring that i understand skydiving is a DANGEROUS sport which could result in injury and death...........
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

Skydivers generally claim to be against rules and regulations

WTF r u talking about :S

Sort of a tradition (especially with non-traditional sports enthusiasts). Yeah, my jump numbers suck, but I started in `76--when jumpers were tighter and the reputation is still out there if you ask around.
“Keep your elbow up!"

Stay positive Shayna. You sound like a kick a$% person. I understand mistakes of all types and severities and do realize that help is needed from time to time. As a civilian in the Navy, thanks for not asking for help from the government. Ask for help from the people and those of us with hearts will support and help you. I'll scroll up to find a place to send the money, otherwise someone send me a PM. When sh&% hits the fan in my world I'll smile knowing there is good people out there like Shayna.

Hey there, I was driving down the highway the other day without my seatbelt on and somebody crashed into me, totally not even my fault! Their stupid car had problems or something and they couldn't stop fast enough and they rear ended me. Since I'm new to driving, I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, I just forgot. I also don't have insurance, neither does the other driver. Would you mind sending me a PM also? I'd like to see if you're interested in covering the damage to the car or my neck. These hospital bills and mechanic bills are insane!

Thanks!

:S:S:P

Whomever said, "I don't give money to panhandlers on the street, or on the TV." you win the gold star for today. Congrats. Also, all you folks praising her for owning up to her mistakes on tv, or w/e, I still don't see any responses about the articles I linked to where she indicates the gear was at fault....Could it be that she manipulates some aspects of the story for the press in order to sensationalize her accident and ultimately increase the chances she gets more $ handouts? Say it ain't so!!!

(i do admire her entrepeneur skills though when it comes to collecting donations, when life presents you with an opportunity - take it! just don't be surprised when you piss some people off)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

We have had that happen here at home more than once. Each time the entire DZ has come together to raise money for that jumper.

Uh, wasnt the whole DZ that im pretty sure of ;)

I can think of at least two where the entire DZ got into the donation act. Also, during the 2000 record attempt, many jumpers donated their money from the canceled jumps to help out the injured jumper.

"Hey there, I was driving down the highway the other day without my seatbelt on and somebody crashed into me, totally not even my fault! Their stupid car had problems or something and they couldn't stop fast enough and they rear ended me. Since I'm new to driving, I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, I just forgot. I also don't have insurance, neither does the other driver. Would you mind sending me a PM also? I'd like to see if you're interested in covering the damage to the car or my neck. These hospital bills and mechanic bills are insane!"

Profile says you are an "analyst"?? Guess either your "story" is fictional or your degree is. :D
“Keep your elbow up!"

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why people are making such a huge ordeal over this topic?

I think it's about taking care of your brothers/sisters and not copping the holier than thou "I'm-more-insured-than-you-so-you-don't deserve-to-skydive" attitude.

BTW: someone got contact info on Shayna? I WILL put my money where my mouth is and send her a check. :P
“Keep your elbow up!"

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why people are making such a huge ordeal over this topic?

Why I'm making a big deal about it - Sometimes when you skydive, shit happens. She chose to skydive without medical insurance and shit happened. Now she doesn't appear to want to pay for the consequences of her decision but instead seems to expect the rest of the world to take care of it for her.

Expecting others to pay the consequences of her actions means she is not taking responsibility for her own decisions. People who won't/can't/don't take responsibility for their own actions/decisions/choices shouldn't skydive, with or without medical insurance.

Compounding the situation is the fact that she's expecting the general public to help her out of a situation she created, and in doing so is making all skydivers appear to be as irresponsible as she appears to be.

What's not to understand?

I think I do now: some skydivers don't give a shit about other skydivers and if something bad happens to me, and I'm in a bad financial situation, I'm pretty much on my own. DEAL WITH IT! [:/]

I will gladly help a friend in a time of need. That doesn't mean I don't expect them to make an effort to take care of some things themselves. :|

Why I'm making a big deal about it - Sometimes when you skydive, shit happens. She chose to skydive without medical insurance and shit happened.

Her choice. Nothing any of us can do about it.

Now she doesn't appear to want to pay for the consequences of her decision but instead seems to expect the rest of the world to take care of it for her.

Guess I didn't read it that way. The original post was done in a strong ranting, pissed off tone. Not sure I can blame her for the reaction - a large portion of our community judged her, her decisions, her actions, etc....all without knowing her and the extent of the details. I'd be pissed as well and think I understand where she is coming from. Anything beyond that or any excuse shouldn't factor into this. Why? From what I have read no FAA violations happened. Shit happens in this sport, and she fell face first into it.

Compounding the situation is the fact that she's expecting the general public to help her out of a situation she created,

Again, in her pissed off rant it seemed like she was going to ask for help. Her choice, and making the wild assumption that she feels others MUST pay for her seems a bit uneducated. I don't know the full details so I am bound to give her the benefit of the doubt. Plus, I wouldn't take anything the media presented to you as fact. We all have seen what they can do even with the facts handed to them on paper.

and in doing so is making all skydivers appear to be as irresponsible as she appears to be.

There has been FAR worse things about this sport that made it to the news (I'm certain you can give even more examples than the ones I have). Despite all that negative press in the past we are still here. On top of that, I doubt most could care about what whuffos think about us. And to be honest, I didn't think you cared that much about what our perceived image was either.

This thread on top of the dozen other threads is just beating a dead horse into the ground.

The bottom line: She made two choices people don't agree with. So what? This is just more about jumpers looking to create drama where there really isn't a need for it. If you don't want to help, don't....and move on.

"What's not to understand?"

I think I do now: some skydivers don't give a shit about other skydivers and if something bad happens to me, and I'm in a bad financial situation, I'm pretty much on my own. DEAL WITH IT! [:/]

Pretty much. Don't ever be fooled into thinking that everyone in this sport cares about you....is your brother...or any of that other junk. Keep your friends close. Everyone else in this sport is just someone you know.

"What's not to understand?"

Pretty much. Don't ever be fooled into thinking that everyone in this sport cares about you....is your brother...or any of that other junk. Keep your friends close. Everyone else in this sport is just someone you know.

Hate to break it to ya, but that is life in general. The fairy tale world doesnt exist. Yes friends look out for friends, but not everyone can look out for everyone. I have been stabbed in the back by mulitple skydivers, and have seen more then my fairshare fuck others over. We are not some special group people, yea we have a similar intrest, but you are still responsible for your actions and you cannot expect people to bail you out everytime you fuck up.

Sorry.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Hate to break it to ya, but that is life in general. The fairy tale world doesnt exist. Yes friends look out for friends, but not everyone can look out for everyone. I have been stabbed in the back by mulitple skydivers, and have seen more then my fairshare fuck others over. We are not some special group people, yea we have a similar intrest, but you are still responsible for your actions and you cannot expect people to bail you out everytime you fuck up.

Sorry.

That was my point. People paint this subculture as special and close. It isn't at all. It's exactly like every other part of life.

>some skydivers don't give a shit about other skydivers and if
>something bad happens to me, and I'm in a bad financial situation,
> I'm pretty much on my own. DEAL WITH IT!

Skydivers are generally not rich. Even if other skydivers do give a shit, you are still going to have to DEAL WITH IT. If you cannot possibly deal with it, don't jump.

If this thread makes people think about the possible consequences of jumping without insurance, then it has done some good.

Well here's what I see as the situation.

1.) girl hurts herself skydiving.
(could happen to any of us)

2.) girl looks for ways to pay for her bills
(as any of us would do)

3.) the fact that she found out she was pregnant makes it a "man bites dog" story and the media jumps on it.
(that's just what they do)

4.) Through the media girl find sympathy and a way to pay her bills from the accident.
(not like she's the only one who would)

5.) Many in the skydiving community see the media as the enemy and a "friend of my enemy is my enemy."
(by dealing with the press, they view her as selling out a double mal story for a few bucks)

Fact is Shayna Richardson has found a way to make the accident that cost her so much, pay her back. There are people who will dig deep for those in need.

Fact is we as Skydivers hate seeing skydiving accidents in the press because they always seem to allude to a "blameless jumper, chute didn't open" situation.

Fact is Shayna has now become the target for all our disgust with the media.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Fact is Shayna has now become the target for all our disgust with the media.

Part true part not true. My digust is with how much society is now coddling those that cannot think ahead of their own nose, and are breeding people that assume that when they fuck up the world will take care of them, instead of taking care of themselves.

Yes the media is fueling this, but as human beings it is up to us to learn to stand on our own two feet. Not go running and creating huge media hype to get someone else to pay for our problems.

There was a simple thing she could have done and not had these bills...it is called insurance. She made a choice with concequences...end of story
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

good luck shayna

this site is full of fucking self ricious 'tards who would have acted in a different way, or who would have done it better >:( there are loads of people on here who are quick to jump up and down like cunts baying for blood. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT do people eally think she wanted it to happen? or couldn't be bothered to do the right thing? the fact people on here are STILL arguing the toss about her accident just makes me shake my head in amazment, this site seems to have so many people who always do the right thing and feel the need to say how bad others are for not doing the same as them

I'm a very low number jumper too, i can understand how your brain freezes in moments of extreme stress, we're not all 1000 jump fucking sky gods who are quick to heap scorn on somebody who does something wrong

I'd love it for one of my instructors to come on here (not that he would) who has near on 10,000 jumps in his late twenties, his attitude is a million miles away from the wank attitudes some of the 2000 and 3000 jump "gods" have on here, i'd love him to put a few noses out of joint

it seems to me that so many people are quick to say she is wrong for going public about this acident SIMPLY because they feel their beloved sport (which they must protect at all times) may be seen in a bad light

feel free to rip into me, but i feel you might just be getting the impression i don't give a toss about what most people on here think ;) so be my guest at wasting your time :)

No. You're not.

And I wonder how many of you folks remember what happened to "Dead Mike."

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

do you just happen to work for a company that provides insurance and/or are a person who is relatively "comfortable" financially??

No and No. I pay for my insurance out of my own pocket. In order to make the payment if it means I can't make an extra five skydives that month or go snowboard, then I don't make those skydives or hit the slopes. I'm on what the middle class calls a "budget".
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote: "Skydivers are generally not rich."

Interesting comment. What is the average salary of a 'skydiver', fun jumper, part time staff?

Not including full time skydivers who do it as a job.

For some reason, I heard a # that sticks in my head.

$55,000. And the way the health insurance poll is going, last I check, over 80% have health insurance, that makes sense.

Someone start a poll on average salary.

-

I call it the “entitlement generation”. They have been raised to believe they are “entitled” to do what ever and have what ever they want.

We're talking about the Baby Boomers, right?

We'll soon be finding out how entitled they feel they are to SS and Medicare, at the expense of the deficit and the next generations.

Quote: "Skydivers are generally not rich."

Interesting comment. What is the average salary of a 'skydiver', fun jumper, part time staff?

Not including full time skydivers who do it as a job.

For some reason, I heard a # that sticks in my head.

$55,000. And the way the health insurance poll is going, last I check, over 80% have health insurance, that makes sense.

Someone start a poll on average salary.

-

My old school teacher always said i was below average:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

[
http://www.breastcancer.org/research_smoking.html
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact04.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-08-smoking-breastcancer_x.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040107074305.htm
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/1146/context/cover/

I stand by my statement - it is suspect, but not proven. Certainly not the way it is for lung cancer.

The most interesting of what you posted suggested a 32% increase in the risk of getting breast cancer. Small, but still something. Yet since this particular survey did not look at other factors and had contradictory results, it is hardly conclusive.

"But the researchers did not look at many lifestyle factors that could have had a major effect on the women's breast cancer risk. One such factor is diet.

What if the women who started smoking at an early age and who were still smoking when they were diagnosed also had poorer diets, drank more alcohol, and exercised less than the women who didn't smoke or who stopped smoking? It would be very difficult to tell how much of their risk increase was due to smoking and how much was due to other lifestyle factors.

The researchers noted that they could not explain their finding that breast cancer risk rose for women smokers WITHOUT a family history of the disease but not for women smokers WITH a family history. They also pointed out that other studies on this topic have had opposite findings. More research is needed to find out whether smoking has a different effect on the risk of women with and without a family history of breast cancer."