BabyBlues

Shayna Richardson's One and Only Post...Read It and Get Over It!!!!

Okay, little story personally just witnessed, because yes, I saw this too in her statement, and was tempted to comment on it as well.

I was taught: expect the possibility that you might have to use your reserve on every jump.

EXACTLY! ...and know/be prepared for whatever circmstances may either surround or effect that eventuality. Good catch, and GREAT point (and something yes, I think that was gravely lacking and otherise -and unfortunately STILL IS "missed" by Shayna [:/]) ...were you PREPARED to handle, fly -and deal with, if necessary, a 170? - obviously not. B|

Just a few weekends ago I was jumping with a group out at Perris Valley, for a very specific and "special event" that everyone wanted to see GO ON, and on that day (because it was a birthday event). The winds picked up for a stint to over 20, approaching (maybe even exceeding with gusts, but I do not know this) 25. Several of THE MOST EXPERIENCED of the group pulled themselves out and sidelined themselves during that period. The winds later subsided and the jumps continued. But one juper in particular, maybe even the one with most time in sport, and most jumps (several thousands) I think, made this point exactly, and clearer than I had heard it from anybody in a long time: "sure, you may be getting penetration now on your 9-cell main (and BARELY at that mind you), but whatcha gonna do when (if) you gotta use your (7-cell) reserve?"

That's how you've got to set the standard for your (ability to) jump. At any given time, and at ANY level! I think that bears repeating:

expect the possibility that you might have to use your reserve on every jump.

Edited to add:
P.S. And it is also NOT a "guaranteed to open" back-up!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

It's a shame this is a "One and Only" post. I'd love to know why Shayna and Rick told ~15 skydivers that went ot visit her, the last Sunday she was in the hospital at Fayetteville, that she got lucky in that MO Medicaid was covering everything(thanks to the pregnancy) except the teeth when she's now saying she's got hundreds of thousands in medical.

It's entirely possible that MO Medicaid changed their minds. I'd just like them to clear that up as my biggest problem has been the perception that they are telling jumpers one thign and the media another.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Lisa,

I think the difference in your attitude and some of the ones we are hearing is the difference in generations.

I call it the “entitlement generation”. They have been raised to believe they are “entitled” to do what ever and have what ever they want.

Your generation was raised to believe you “entitled” to what ever you earn, nothing more, and nothing less.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

well good for her, maybe she'd like to correct this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/...us/skydiver_s_plunge

did anyone notice that at one point she hit to ground face first, then later she was belly first??? hmmmm
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

Lisa,

I think the difference in your attitude and some of the ones we are hearing is the difference in generations.

I call it the “entitlement generation”. They have been raised to believe they are “entitled” to do what ever and have what ever they want.

Your generation was raised to believe you “entitled” to what ever you earn, nothing more, and nothing less.

Sparky

Sparky I think you are part right, I kind of fall in the middle (born in 73), though I think towards the earn it. But my parents raised me that I am responsible for my actions what ever they would be. They stood by me when they needed to, but when I fucked up I had to deal with the concequences. On top of that they never just "gave" me things, i had to work for it. My friends got cars, or got to use their parents car. Me nope, had to buy my own. My mom would let me use hers to do stuff I HAD to do, but not to go to school, or out with freinds. I saved up $3500 and bought my own car.

Parents need to teach this to the kids, and somewhere along the way the whole poor me thing became acceptable. Pisses me off.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

my parents raised me that I am responsible for my actions what ever they would be

i was born in '86 with the same morals, take responsibility for your own actions, you take the risk you deal with the consequences, if you want something, earn it!

LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

Stay positive Shayna. You sound like a kick a$% person. I understand mistakes of all types and severities and do realize that help is needed from time to time. As a civilian in the Navy, thanks for not asking for help from the government. Ask for help from the people and those of us with hearts will support and help you. I'll scroll up to find a place to send the money, otherwise someone send me a PM. When sh&% hits the fan in my world I'll smile knowing there is good people out there like Shayna.
-Taylor
"Can't plan fantastic!!!!!"

But Sparky, it's so much easier to rely on other people, and backup devices, and to blame someone or something else when things don't go our way. I don't know why your generation just can't understand that. You just keep working too hard and refuse to get with the times. :P

Wait. I think Lisa's only a couple years older than me. Must mean I'm working too hard, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know, but there's no reason to judge her for it. Let her be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shayna survived something that people don't usually walk away from. Plastic surgery is expensive, and it would be great if she can live the rest of her life happy with herself. I think she's an amazing person in the fact that she could calmly watch the video of what happened, talk postively about it, and want to do it again!

My first (and last) comment on this whole issue... I agree with BirdBabe
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I've sat and watched a bounce video with the victims BF, do you think that makes him an amazing person since he watched his girlfriend bounce in front of him then could clearly and calmly talk me through the video later? He had about 200+ jumps after her death by the time I ran into him.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't give money to panhandlers, whether they are on the street corner or on my tv.

Well bully for you, Mother Theresa! :(

Hell, I've seen bikers pass the hat for one of their own who goes down uninsured, yet I see this smug "I'm insured--so screw you if you're not" attitude." Lemme guess: do you just happen to work for a company that provides insurance and/or are a person who is relatively "comfortable" financially?? :S

There's always some jar out somewhere for some poor SOB who needs a liver/kidney/[insert organ here]. Should we tell them to F-off because they drank, ate junk food, did drugs?

Is it the "circle-the-wagons" syndrome of distancing anyone who becomes a liability to skydiving?

Skydivers generally claim to be against rules and regulations, yet I'm hearing the tacit implication that insurance (life, disability, vision, dental, loss-of-income, fire, theft, flood, mudslide . . . .) should be checked along with one's rig at manifest. Swell idea. [:/] Skydiving will grow by leaps and bounds--skysurfing anyone??

Conclusion: a skydiver pranged herself bigtime. She's broke/needs help with her medical bills. She's not a crying, lawsuit-happy "Scott Lutz", for Christ's sake! What's wrong with asking the public to VOLUNTARILY help out?

Where's the love, man? ;)

And I will laugh at them if they come to me asking for money cause they got hurt.

We have had that happen here at home more than once. Each time the entire DZ has come together to raise money for that jumper.

I don't give money to panhandlers, whether they are on the street corner or on my tv.

Well bully for you, Mother Theresa! :(

Hell, I've seen bikers pass the hat for one of their own who goes down uninsured, yet I see this smug "I'm insured--so screw you if you're not" attitude." Lemme guess: do you just happen to work for a company that provides insurance and/or are a person who is relatively "comfortable" financially?? :S

No and no. And no, I would not jump out a an airplane without insurance.

There's always some jar out somewhere for some poor SOB who needs a liver/kidney/[insert organ here]. Should we tell them to F-off because they drank, ate junk food, did drugs?

Is it the "circle-the-wagons" syndrome of distancing anyone who becomes a liability to skydiving?

Skydivers generally claim to be against rules and regulations, yet I'm hearing the tacit implication that insurance (life, disability, vision, dental, loss-of-income, fire, theft, flood, mudslide . . . .) should be checked along with one's rig at manifest. Swell idea. [:/] Skydiving will grow by leaps and bounds--skysurfing anyone??

Conclusion: a skydiver pranged herself bigtime. She's broke/needs help with her medical bills. She's not a crying, lawsuit-happy "Scott Lutz", for Christ's sake! What's wrong with asking the public to VOLUNTARILY help out?

I believe people are put off by the sense of entitlement that is being shown.
Quote: "I simply wanted to ask America for help. Why should I have to run around with no teeth in my mouth for the rest of my life because of a accident?!?!? I need help, and this country is full of people who can do just that...and I will find them!"
Answer: Sometimes things happen to people that are beyond their control. Many people will help them out because they are less fortunate. Jumping out of an airplane is almost never a situation that is beyond your control. You buy your ticket, you take your chances. Don't come back crying that you are owed something as a result of your decisions, because you're not.

Where's the love, man? ;)

If it makes you feel the love, write a check.

We have had that happen here at home more than once. Each time the entire DZ has come together to raise money for that jumper.

Uh, wasnt the whole DZ that im pretty sure of ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Lemme guess: do you just happen to work for a company that provides insurance and/or are a person who is relatively "comfortable" financially??

I realize the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway.

The answer is "Yes and yes," currently, but there have been times when that wasn't the case and I bought health insurance anyway.

The question is beside the point. If you can afford to skydive you can afford insurance or you can afford to take the risk of jumping without it.

What's wrong with asking the public to VOLUNTARILY help out?

Nothing at all. But *expecting* them to help is entirely another thing.

Skydivers generally claim to be against rules and regulations, yet I'm hearing the tacit implication that insurance (life, disability, vision, dental, loss-of-income, fire, theft, flood, mudslide . . . .) should be checked along with one's rig at manifest. Swell idea. Unsure Skydiving will grow by leaps and bounds--skysurfing anyone??

I like Eloy's approach. Their waiver asks for health insurance info, I assume so that it's easily available for them if they need to provide it to medical personnel. If you don't have it, you're still allowed to jump there, but they make you specifically sign off that you understand that jumping without insurance is a huge risk (I don't know the exact words but that's the basic gist of it).