BabyBlues

Shayna Richardson's One and Only Post...Read It and Get Over It!!!!

There are World Champions that jump everyday that do not have insurance. Do you all think all these people should stop jumping? They will laugh at you if you tell them to.

And I will laugh at them if they come to me asking for money cause they got hurt. This is a decision they made. If they get hurt and deal with it on there own with out making a major public display. I have no problem with that. It is those people who jump with no insurance, get hurt and start crying for everyone to help them out. That is really the big issue.

I think some people on here that posts negatively deep down are just jealous that she got international attention.

Actually I would never want public attention like that...no way I would parade around telling the world I screwed up, and now I want you to pay for my mistake ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I will just chime in to say something I have said on dz.com before. All the people that say you should not jump if you don't have insurance really need to understand the realities of our sport. 90% of the people who work full time at dropzones do not have insurance. If they get hurt they are in trouble. But, they still jump and work in the sport they love. There are World Champions that jump everyday that do not have insurance. Do you all think all these people should stop jumping? They will laugh at you if you tell them to.

Shayna did not just break a femur or a tib fib. She almost broke every bone in her body. I am sure her medical bills are outrageous and she needs help paying them. Instead of telling her what she should have done before the accident why not have a heart and help her out now.

I think some people on here that posts negatively deep down are just jealous that she got international attention.

And you would be wrong. At least about me and the attention.

Plus, I never said anything about her before the accident.

And I can only go on what I would do. And that is not appeal to the nation for help. I would deal with it myself...perhaps with support from friends and family.

If you jump without insurance, you should be prepared for the consequences. You plan should not include, "ask the world to pay for it."

I don't care if someone jumps sans insurance as long as they take responsibility.

Just remember, this is all my personal opinion.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

THey should do a poll on how many skydivers actually HAS heath insurance. Hell I don't have health insurance.

Thanks for your honesty, Clint. It would be nice if DZ's could cover instructors health insurance. I know it's not going to happen but a lot of instructors can't afford to eat sometimes let alone pay for insurance every month.

90% of the people who work full time at dropzones do not have insurance. If they get hurt they are in trouble. But, they still jump and work in the sport they love. There are World Champions that jump everyday that do not have insurance.

Of those 90% that get hurt, how many turn it into a national news story? :S

And you know that to be a fact how?

I lived at Eloy for three years. I met a lot of people. ;)

Okay, let's say for example one of the Airspeed guys/gal gets hurt. You mean to tell me that Larry Hill has nothing in place to cover his investment?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Okay, let's say for example one of the Airspeed guys/gal gets hurt. You mean to tell me that Larry Hill has nothing in place to cover his investment?

I wasn't talking about Airspeed. Yes, they have coverage. There are a lot of world champions besides Airspeed. :o

I wasn't talking about Airspeed. Yes, they have coverage. There are a lot of world champions besides Airspeed. :o

Sorry, this is drifting from the thread. One more statement, and then I'm done with the subject of insurance on World Class teams.

I can't believe that a World Class team with all the sponsorships don't have some kind of coverage. It would be silly for some one to put out all that money to support a team, and not have them covered in case of an accident. IMO, that is a very poor investment.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

somebody want to explain what "industrial haze" is?

is this another website? she's talking as if it's somewhere she went, but i can't seem to figure out whether it's a real place or something else.

saw the tv reports...read the online reports...read some of the dz.com thread...

her report seems different for 3 reasons:
1 - she consulted a "PD professional" about the canopy choice
2 - rick was not her primary instructor
3 - she makes a decent attempt at owning up for the mistake and realizing she is ultimately the one that caused the accident.

as for the "lets get the world to pay for some new teeth" i guess i can't say that i blame her. with no other options, i'd probably go looking for help to get some teeth. eating food through a straw probably gets old after awhile. although i would hope that this experience leads her to examine health/dental insurance.

my only gripe would be this: just about all of the reports i read were very "sensational" and basically had the premise that skydiving is crazy and she (and her baby) are just damn lucky to be alive. it's up to her as "the story" to keep the facts straight and the reporter inline. either she didn't do a very good job at this, or reporters being reporters, listened to her and then turned it into something that would sell papers. either way, the result is the same - the public continues to think that the gear is unreliable, the instruction is substandard, and the people in the sport are careless. all of which, couldn't be further from the actual truth.
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

THey should do a poll on how many skydivers actually HAS heath insurance. Hell I don't have health insurance.

Thanks for your honesty, Clint. It would be nice if DZ's could cover instructors health insurance. I know it's not going to happen but a lot of instructors can't afford to eat sometimes let alone pay for insurance every month.

I don't know a single full-time skydiving instructor who was forced at the point of a gun to make a living that way. If you have a job that has such shitty pay you can't survive, you can always look for work elsewhere.

Lots of musicians, actors and dancers are in their professions for the love of the craft, get shitty pay, have trouble making ends meet, don't have health insurance, wait tables to get by. Many of them do the responsible thing and get day jobs that pay a living wage so they can pursue the activity they love. They may not like it, but they do it because that's part of being a responsible adult.

Hello Shayna, good to hear from you. I myself jumped for quite sometime without insurance. During that period I also flew planes and rode my snowboard. Some people here are hitting you for jumping without insurance. ...Pussies... Let them loose their insurance and then radically change their lives. Worring about every little thing. Screw 'em. I lost mine for about 18 months. I became more cautious in my activities but I did not stop my activities. I did realize however that if I hurt myself it would be my fault forever. We both rolled the dice. I lucked out and unfortunately you did not. Best of luck to you. Hang in there. Remember there are people who have nothing better to do than criticize. Believe in yourself and to hell with everyone else.

Quote 'my only gripe would be this: just about all of the reports i read were very "sensational" and basically had the premise that skydiving is crazy and she (and her baby) are just damn lucky to be alive. it's up to her as "the story" to keep the facts straight and the reporter inline. either she didn't do a very good job at this, or reporters being reporters, listened to her and then turned it into something that would sell papers. either way, the result is the same - the public continues to think that the gear is unreliable, the instruction is substandard, and the people in the sport are careless. all of which, couldn't be further from the actual truth.

WHen she was on the 'TODAY' show, she said, 100% that is was her fault and it had NOTHING to do with the gear or instructors, just her!

Nothing is guaranteed!!

my only question is that was rick, your instructor on disability aid, while instructing skydiving. (this was mentioned in discussions) if so, laws have been broken. if not, none have in that area anyway

Hello Shayna, good to hear from you. I myself jumped for quite sometime without insurance. During that period I also flew planes and rode my snowboard. Some people here are hitting you for jumping without insurance. ...Pussies... Let them loose their insurance and then radically change their lives. Worring about every little thing. Screw 'em. I lost mine for about 18 months. I became more cautious in my activities but I did not stop my activities. I did realize however that if I hurt myself it would be my fault forever. We both rolled the dice. I lucked out and unfortunately you did not. Best of luck to you. Hang in there. Remember there are people who have nothing better to do than criticize. Believe in yourself and to hell with everyone else.

Heh, ya know what, that is your choice, you can jump, ride etc with out insurance. But when the shit hits the fan and your standing there with all the bills in your hand no way to pay them. Dont come crying to the rest of us. I do a lot of shit that can be dangerous, but I choose which I will do uninsured, and where the most damage can happen. Have I skied uninsured? yep, but very cautiously, still had a blast, but didnt do stupid shit. But having said that I had been skiing for 15+ years already, I wasnt a student learning something.

So before you go on calling those of us who feel we are better off not jumping pussies...you had better realize you are the one being not so bright. She is not taking responsibility for her actions. She got hurt, and is not taking responsibility, she is begging everyone to feel sorry for her, and pay her bills.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

WHen she was on the 'TODAY' show, she said, 100% that is was her fault and it had NOTHING to do with the gear or instructors, just her!

Thats great...then SHE can deal with her medical bills with out begging the rest of the world to feel sorry for her poor choices ;)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I know quite a few swoopers who don't have insurance. If the thread is talking about insurance shouldn't it be in the speakers corner.
As for her asking for help. I see nothing wrong with this at all. I see people all the time in this industry asking for money JFTC. From what i saw on tv she claimed 100% fault. So, she fucked up. Get over it.
I have seen numerous people fucking themselves up at a drop zone. Guess what, a collection box was put at manifest. The only difference here is she went on TV and told her story. Is that really so bad?
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

So before you go on calling those of us who feel we are better off not jumping pussies...you had better realize you are the one being not so bright.

I said it...I meant it. Sit if you must, I will not.

Ah yes, but you see there is so much more to life then jumping...I never said I would do NOTHING, I just choose what I feel more confident if something happend I would be able to deal with the aftermath.

Just remember the day you end up broken, broke and like a baby for help cause you screwed up....those you called a pussy for making adult decisions sittin there shaking our heads at the moronic move you made.

My friend it is all choices, if you choose to jump sans insurance so be it, but be prepaired to pay the bills. Calling the rest of us who have the forthought to look at the potential problems pussies? that is real mature. Grow up....
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I know quite a few swoopers who don't have insurance.

Good and i hope they have the money to pay the bills if and when the pile in.

I see people all the time in this industry asking for money JFTC

Ok dude what does JFTC have to do with someone pounding themselves in and asking for money?

Part of the money from JFTC goes to cancer research...to help those that get breast cancer, not something they chose. BIG DIFFERENCE here buddy. That is for charity for something that NO one askes for.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto