Ashtanga

Medical Insurance

u should have made one that says "im not sure if my insurance will cover it"

im in the process right now of trying to findout what it will and wont cover. so so far i cant say 100% without a doubt that an incident would be covered by my insurance. I might be looking for insurance over the holidays....:S

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I guess you already know how I voted.

There are tons of threads on this subject.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=medical%20insurance&sb=score&mh=25
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

At the moment, I am uninsured. I will have basic coverage Jan 1st, but that would leave me underinsured for skydiving.

I will not put myself in the position for potential catostrphic mess. No jumping with out proper insurance, I dont want to be stuck with $100's of thousand in medical bills with no way to pay them. That is a choice I can make, and have made.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

here is a description for my insurance, but im still waiting on a call to see about skydiving...

Health Plan

UTC Choice flexible benefits program provides valuable financial protection to you and your family. Coverage begins 31 days from your date of employment. Our medical and dental plans offer both routine and necessary health care coverage. In addition, our Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts help you pay eligible expenses with pre-tax dollars. Our long-term disability program replaces a portion of your income if you become disabled and cannot work. Our life insurance and accident benefits offer you and your family financial protection if you die or are seriously injured in an accident. Life insurance is also available for your dependents.

I think i may be covered as far as injuries is concerned. im just worried about clauses with skydiving being mentioned. I hope there arn't any!!!!

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

That's a summary of your benefits. Which is nice because it is in plain English, but doesn't give you the details.

Find the official plan documents (often called a Certificate of Coverage - you may have received a copy or you may have to ask your HR person for it) and read them for exclusions (usually, they are quite nicely highlighted under a section called "Exclusions").
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

No medical insurance but I'm not jumping at this time. Idid have great medical coverage in2003 when Idid have my jump accident,and man let me tell you i had to FIGHT,I mean really FIGHT to get alot of procedures coverd!>:(>:([:/]
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

No insurance here, but in OZ we have free medical, the only thing I would need to pay for if I biff in is the Helicopter ride, that alone will be expensive.
However when I travel overseas I do get Insurance.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm also fortunate enough to live in a country where free medical treatment arising from an accident is a basic right whether you are Joe Rich Bastard or Joe Dole Bludger.

But, Squeak, if you are not shelling out the $55 per year to cover that helicopter ride (ie ambulance cover), then, respectfully, you are nuts.

nothing to see here

I just ran some numbers... for $55-75 per month I was able to find policies that were set at a $2500 deductable and covered 80% of the expences beyond that. If you can not afford 3 jump tickets a month how the hell are you going to afford gear, or repacks or anything else in this sport?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I got medical insurance through my employer and I know it's pays for skydiving injuries - (unfortunately I had to learn the hard way-)

I still had "losses" in the form of vacation time I used to heal instead of taking a real vacation, and reduced income during the period I spend recovering.

Easy Does It

Yep, and my "Employer's" insurance program does cover skydiving injuries.

Edited to add: There was a time in my life that I didn't have Insurance (maybe 18 months before joining the service...) and I wouldn't have considered starting skydiving in that situation... and I would have stopped jumping during the time I wasn't covered had I already started....)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I just ran some numbers... for $55-75 per month I was able to find policies that were set at a $2500 deductable and covered 80% of the expences beyond that. If you can not afford 3 jump tickets a month how the hell are you going to afford gear, or repacks or anything else in this sport?

I know a few jumpers that make plenty of, um, interesting choices to afford jumps.

Me? I've jumped with and without insurance. I could have picked up private coverage during my unemployed times, however it's easier for them to deny coverage for extreme activites.

I have very good medical, dental and prescription coverage thru my employer, I also have a excellent short-term disability plan.
Both medical and short-term disability cover all sports related activities and hence skydiving.
I shattered my tib/fib and total cost was over $25,000.00, my out of pocket was just over $2,000.00 and my disability paid $1,000 per month.
I was out of work for 4.5 months, and without the insurance I would've been forced into bankruptcy.

I would not skydive without both medical and disability insurance...
I think that anybody who jumps without atleast medical is being very foolish and if they expect the rest of us to pick up the hospital bill then they are leeches on society.

"Skydiving injuries are not accidents", they are sport related injuries and anyone involved in a extreme sport should expect to get hurt sooner or later and have prepared for it.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

$55 to $75 per month. Where do i sign up? I currently have coverage. Would like to have better 'major accident' insurance plan. Mr.Eric, could you please email me with info.? please?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1990443

See this thread for some ideas I posted on where to get quotes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Mandatory basic coverage is in place in the Netherlands. We are in a transition though.
(The law has changed overhere verry recently and it is not clear how it is going to work in practice...)

But under a new law we get a discount if we don't use it, pay a substantial fiend if we become 'heavy users of health care' and can get extra coverage if we plan to use it a lot.

Basically we can afford to have a skydiving induced 'extreme make-over'... :S:$:S:$

And since we wouldn't be skydiving for a while during recovery... O well... ;)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Just wondering who has medical insurance to pay for a skydiving accident and who does not.

If you have group coverage through your job, they are required to cover you for a skydiving accident. Apparently, at least here in the U.S., there is some sort of requirement that if you insure a group, you can't discriminate against individual group members because they happen to engage in "risky" pursuits.

My medical insurance is through my employer and I've had the same coverage for well over 27 years. They covered EVERYTHING for my skydiving accident in 1999, including private lear jet medical transport from Florida back to my home state of Pennsylvania.

Blue skies ...

--rita