martimarr

WHEN SHOULD I PULL?

Well unless something else goes wrong I should have my first rig in my hands this weekend and weather permiting I'll jump it. But anyway when should I pull and for how long? I heard some people say 15 20 times at about 6500 feet. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks yaw Blue Skies

Well unless something else goes wrong I should have my first rig in my hands this weekend and weather permiting I'll jump it. But anyway when should I pull and for how long? I heard some people say 15 20 times at about 6500 feet. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks yaw Blue Skies

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If you have to ask "when should I pull" you have no business buying a rig. If you have to ask after making more than a dozen jumps you should quit skydiving. Now.

Cheers,
Jon S.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If you have to ask "when should I pull" you have no business buying a rig. If you have to ask after making more than a dozen jumps you should quit skydiving. Now.

Cheers,
Jon S.

I thought the same thing at first, but I think he means practice pulls.

You can do many practice pulls on the ground as well.
But again chatting with your instructer never hurts.

congrats on your new rig

Negative much? :S:D

I would also suggest talking to your instructors... but in reality you should deploy where you're comfortable. I've been in far too many dirt dives where no one discussed breakoff until I (as the lowest jump # player...:S) brought it up.

The SIM also has "container open" and "decision altitude" requirements and warrents a good read.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You have the rest of your life. Remember is not the impact that can kill you but the suddden stop.

I recommend that you talk to your instructors and to play it safe anything at or above 3500 feet to be safe until you get at least 50 jumps on it.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Yeah that's a great attitude to have, encourage someone to not ask advice when they are unsure about something.>:(

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

If it's all new unfamiliar gear. Maybe take the canopy to terminal and perhaps pull between 6-7000 (wrap up).lol Talk to the inst on the plane first as they may want you to leave after them.
Either way, have fun with it. Practice the flare and find the stall point.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

If you are switching deployment systems, you'll need to be trained, and most likey will have a JM jump with you. The JM will call the shots on that jump.

If you are not switching deployment systems, you'll want to start with a solo, and include several practice touches to your dive.

The canopy will represent the biggest factor here. How different is it then what you are used to? How much time do you want to play with the controls, and get a feel for the flare?

Remember, if you are jumping at a lower WL, pulling at 6000 ft will give you a loooong canopy ride. Maybe too long if your new harness proves to be uncomfortable. Also, keep in mind the upper level winds, and the your spot with a longer canopy ride.

Be sure to have an instructor give you the story on steering line length, and how to check it in-air. An improperly set up canopy will give you shitty performance at best.

What I would take away from the posts is.. Talk to your instructor..
I'll tell you what I did..;)
If you think about it.. Every rig you jump is a new rig (to you).. Your school probably has you opening at 5k.
My first solo's until my comfort level went up I stayed with 5k. Gave me time to get to my decision altitude at that time was (2500) Also it gave me time to experiment with the canopy. I have been downsizing and renting gear. So my first jump of the day is always at 5k just to make sure everything is good..
Then I drop it down to Wave off at 4-4500 and in the saddle by 3500-3000..
This gives me about 1200' to decide if my canopy is safe to land.. and that’s the minimum.. I personally like to stay a little conservative and when jumping with other people I break off at 5k, and wave and pull at 4k.. Most experienced jumpers like to wave off at 4k ..
Everyone's comfort level is different.. You have to find yours.. it cant hurt to be conservative.
good luck and don’t quit .. just keep asking questions..

When you get scared. If it looks like the ground is getting close, that's because it is. Once you're comfortable pulling at 6.5k, drop it down a little at a time, but not below 3k as a student. Really, there's no good reason you should ever go much lower than that, unless it's a BASE jump of course.B|

If you're pulling above 4k, let others on the plane know and you should probably be getting out close to last, depending on who else is on the load. Tandems usually pull around 5k, and wingsuiters get out after everyone but people doing hop&pops at altitude.

Check your spot often, if it's bad, you may need to pull higher to make it back to the landing zone. Don't forget to wave off and check your airspace.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

What the h*ll?[:/] I want to say thank you to all who responded positively like an adult and to the others, I'm sorry to ask Questions I thought this was a discussion board, you know a place to come and talk about the things we love to do. I also thought that the sky diving community was full of nice people that enjoyed helping others in the sport , rookie or pro. I guess I was way off , there seems to be folks that just want to be negative about everything. I'm sorry I wasn't born with a rig on my back at 14000 like you guys.
Its not that I dont know when to pull but thought it would be nice to discuss when to pull with people I RESPECT, to see what every one had to say. I always ask my instructors on everything I do but thought this was a place to talk about things when I'm not at the DZ. I,m just a rookie asking questions . I'm not falling from the plane emailing for instructions in mid air. anyway thanks to all and sorry to be such a bother. Peace out and Blue Skies:P

There's peopel out there dude that if you give them a million dollars they would bitch about paying the tax or whinning that they have to drive to a bank to cash the check blah blah blah..lol
just remember 2 negative posts make a positive one i believe..

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What the h*ll?[:/] I want to say thank you to all who responded positively like an adult and to the others, I'm sorry to ask Questions I thought this was a discussion board, you know a place to come and talk about the things we love to do. I also thought that the sky diving community was full of nice people that enjoyed helping others in the sport , rookie or pro. I guess I was way off , there seems to be folks that just want to be negative about everything. I'm sorry I wasn't born with a rig on my back at 14000 like you guys.
Its not that I dont know when to pull but thought it would be nice to discuss when to pull with people I RESPECT, to see what every one had to say. I always ask my instructors on everything I do but thought this was a place to talk about things when I'm not at the DZ. I,m just a rookie asking questions . I'm not falling from the plane emailing for instructions in mid air. anyway thanks to all and sorry to be such a bother. Peace out and Blue Skies:P

try not to get strung out on the negative and don’t hesitate to ask anything.. when it all boils down its your responsibility to gather enough info to make an educated decision...
Part of some of the education I get around here is what I don’t want to be like when I grow up in skydiving.. and more times then not you will find old timers/experienced jumpers giving it back to us newbie’s..
Have fun and good luck with your new rig

Martin, the DZ.com forums can be kind of rough & tumble in a brutally-honest sort of way, and I think you've felt some of that. Most of us have been flamed in here, and have done our share of flaming. That's just the neighborhood. You don't score a lot of points for diplomacy in here, so don't take it to heart.

In all fairness to those who criticized you, your original post was very ambiguous; definitely subject to different interpretations. I know I misunderstood it at first and had to re-read it several times before I was (fairly) sure what you were asking. The comment "you should quit now" may not have logically followed from what you meant, but it wasn't entirely unreasonable given what the writer thought you were saying. For future reference, clear communication can help prevent misunderstandings.

Maybe he's asking if it would be smart to do a high-level hop 'n pop so he can get used to flying his new canopy?

Just a thought

I've never jumped in my life and even I figured that one out (as did you blithedj before you take this personally ;))

Is this the kind of attitude I'm gonna encounter at the DZ next summer? Sounds like fun.

Maybe he's asking if it would be smart to do a high-level hop 'n pop so he can get used to flying his new canopy?

Just a thought

I've never jumped in my life and even I figured that one out (as did you blithedj before you take this personally ;))

Is this the kind of attitude I'm gonna encounter at the DZ next summer? Sounds like fun.

Attitude you encounter is normally attitude that you give. ;)

Well I guess what I should take from this is that I should just grin and bear it. Maybe I wasn't very clear maybe I should take more time to explain what I'm asking, I after all am not a very intelligent person. And I'm a very horable writer and I do tend to jump from place to place with my thoughts sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
What I wanted to know was at what altitude should someone pull if jumping a (new to them rig) that they have never jumped before. FOR example /
Once when I was on a air plane that was taking up skydivers , the Said skydivers where asking where every one planed to pull at ( What Altitude )
One skydiver said " I will be pulling at 6500 feet because this is a new rig".
Not wanting to bother the gentleman at 1100 feet for the meaning of his comment I decided that this must be the thing to do when you have new equipment (pull high in case of something unexpected or different than what your used to happens) I figured on the ground or on this web site would be a better place to talk about it.
I don'tcome hear to learn how to skydive I come hear to talk to other people who love the sport as much as me , to get there opinion on things. Not to try and skip over any coached jumps.
I geuss it just struck a never when someone told me I had no business buying a rig. I thought this was a free country, I thought that if I wanted to by a rig and jump out of a plane and land on my head, than that was my GOD given right. be cause in fact I do have business buying a Rig MY BUSINESS.
I give everyone the respect they deserve and anyone thats been jumping out of planes longer than I've been alive will deffintly get his/her due share I just ask for the same chance as I give.
My mother always thought me if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
I respect everyones opinoin but that felt more like a kick in the teeth than advice. but all in all I should have been less ambiguous; . not only am I new to skydiving but I'm also new to these web boards too , I used to post in all capital letters until some one told me it was like yelling , who would have known.
But anyway thanks again for everyones patience I will try to be less of a problem. Sorry for the bother. and THANKS to all who took the time time to post. I do appreciate it.
man that was long.