ccowden

Line twists under a Velocity really suck!

Last friday I had another reserve due to lines twists on my velocity. Someone then said that the Velocity is the most often cutaway main. Is this true?

I have had 2 reserves in 122 jumps with the velo, both due to lines twists. A common feature was that I was probably in a slight track while pulling.

If I don't manage another 100 jumps with it, without a reserve, then it's being sold.

BTW the way, I don't really think this thread belongs in incidents. While it's pretty scary being under a spinning mal, it's something that we have been trained to deal with.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

According to the posting guidelines of this forum, it definitely Does belong here.

"Incidents include: malfunctions, cutaways, wraps, collisions, crash landings etc. I trust everyone will use their good judgment before starting a thread or disposing of advice."

That being said, yes the fact that line twist can turn into a malfunction really sucks, but there is some really good info here on how to minimize the frequency of them. If you are on the ball and put into action very quickly some of the things mentioned earlier, you can get out of line twists. YOU JUST CAN"T WAIT. You have to move fast. I have gotten out of lines twists about 3 times and had one turn into a malfunction.

I actually had line twists start again this last weekend. As soon as I saw the first twist. I dropped in my harness to counter the pull and tried to even out the three rings. At the same time, I grabbed the risers and started to kick HARD in the opposite direction. I got the twists stopped and got out of them just as the canopy got to my level in a dive. One second longer in taking action and I think I would have had another cutaway.

The other preventions I am now taking are being very careful when I pack to keep the risers and three rings even, leave about 18 inches of loose line, deploy as stable as possible, pull my feet and knees together so sas no to have my body get out of line, sit as still as I can during the snivel and don't try to counter any of the dancing, and the most important- I am ready to move fast if something starts going bad.

It is alot to deal with on a jump to jump basis, and if you are not ready to do it then you shouldn't be jumping one. Some people may think it is a high price to pay to fly a crossbraced canopy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.:)

The other preventions I am now taking are being very careful when I pack

what? Did I miss something? You? Pack????????
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I actually had line twists start again this last weekend. As soon as I saw the first twist. I dropped in my harness to counter the pull and tried to even out the three rings. At the same time, I grabbed the risers and started to kick HARD in the opposite direction. I got the twists stopped and got out of them just as the canopy got to my level in a dive. One second longer in taking action and I think I would have had another cutaway.

Works good, heh? Once I figured that trick out, I never cutaway from spinning line twists again, and I was flying a VX-60 at 3.1:1.

Derek

Works great! They would have to be pretty bad line twists for me to not get out of them now I think. By 'pretty bad' I mean like 4! :S

I also noticed that quite often, when the canopy is about 50% open it will sometimes turn 90 degrees off heading. To look at it you would be sure it was going all the way around. But if I just stay still and keep my shoulders and body on heading, she comes back around. If I even THINK about leaning towards the turn, which I might add is the natural thing to want to do, it gets ugly fast.

All these little things I am learning with experience and advice from others sure make a difference.

I also noticed that quite often, when the canopy is about 50% open it will sometimes turn 90 degrees off heading. To look at it you would be sure it was going all the way around. But if I just stay still and keep my shoulders and body on heading, she comes back around. If I even THINK about leaning towards the turn, which I might add is the natural thing to want to do, it gets ugly fast.

Think of it this way; Sit on a swing set and turn yourself 90-degrees. Now lift your feet off the ground. The swing set will swing back to your original heading. Simply by keeping your hips level, you are applying a force to bring the canopy back on heading. Also, the canopy at that point is in very turbulent air caused by the jumper, so it is amazing to me that canopies will open as cleanly as they do. This goes double for tandems.

Derek

I have never chopped my velo (or any other supposedly spin-prone PD canopy) due to linetwists. It has gotten around twice on me on two occasions, but I was always able to kick out because I made sure my links were on the same level and threw a big kick in the opposite direcion immediatly after I saw it happen. The only irrecoverable linetwists I have ever had were under an out-of-trim Cobalt in a wingsuit.