natecoon

Choosing canopy colors - packing an issue?

Hey. I'm just about to buy my first rig and have been spending hours on the PD site using their canopy coloring section.
I've narrowed it down to two designs and am wondering if it's a bad thing to have the centre cell white? I know that this is the cell that you do your cigar roll in when packing so the odds of it getting dirty are pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with a light colored centre cell? Is it too difficult to keep clean? Can you clean/wash a canopy in any way?
Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with a light colored centre cell?

White canopies WILL get dirty and look like it's dirty no matter where you pack it and jump it.
In some landing areas and packing areas it may take longer, but eventually it will not be the bright white like it was when it was new. But, if you have a dark color next to the white on the canopy, it will note be as noticable. ;)

Can you clean/wash a canopy in any way?
Thanks!

You can, doesn't do much, and NOT recommended.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Can't tell your level of experience for certain, but it seems safe to assume you're relatively new to the sport.
That said, if you just really want a white center cell as a part of your canopy design, go for it, but what Chris and Ed say is correct.
If, however, you're choosing white or a different centercell color simply because it's the centercell, to make packing easier, I think you'll quickly outgrow that with even just a little bit more packing experience.
Sorry if I'm off on this, it was my first impression from your post.
-C.

For my new canopy I did 3 things

1) I picked bright enough colors that when/if I ever cutaway I will be able to find it.
2) With packing in mind I picked a different color center cell.
3) Also with packing in mind I made the ribs in the center of the cells a recognizable color.
... Marion

When I finally was able to order custom made gear, I chose a bright yellow main and had been planning this for several years. The reason is visibility; I want to minimize any chances of a low altitude collision. And, of course, to make locating a cutaway main easier. White might blend into a snow-covered field, but neon yellow will stand out against anything nature has to offer.

The only drawback is when people think I'm riding a reserve and get confused because they can't see the freebag.

Cheers,
Jon

Thanks guys. I kind of assumed most of those things but wanted to see if I was off base, as one of you was able to pick up on - I'm new to the sport!
I placed my order late last night - all white with navy ribs, for the centre cell I made the top skin navy and the bottom silver. I think it looks pretty cool. (not that anyone reading this post really cares what my new canopy is going to look like!).
Anyway, thanks!

I also like to have each cell an alternating color from those adjacent to it. For example; red, white, red, white, red, white, red. That way, while packing, if you come across two cells in a row the same color, you know there's one hiding somewhere inbetween, and you better find it and dig it out. It's pretty easy to miss one like that.

Yeah, but then if you only get to "8", you don't know where the missing cell is.
With my method, you know immediately you've missed one. ;)

When I get a new canopy, I have been thinking of doing the cells like this: black, brown, red, orange,
yellow, green, blue, violet, gray. The reserve would be white.

If you used one color for long, another for short, and a third color for a delimiter, you could put your
initials on your canopy in Morse code.

bob.dino's comment probably applies.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.