rsmn17

Working nights and jumping

Anybody work nights and jump?? I'm gonna be working 2 nights 7pm-7am and 2 nights 11pm-7am. Mostly with friday-sunday off. How the hell am I gonna jump?? Should I switch my sleeping schedule on my off days?? I think that might really be impossible but if I'm up all night and asleep all day, when do I jump? Does anyone here do this??

Working nights is good. Can sneak down the DZ before you have to start work! If its like my DZ the weekdays arent too busy and you can get a good amount of jumps in without feeling like in some sort of cattle market :)
It can be a bastard when you try to sneak in a late jump and end up getting held up on the aircraft or something and get to work late :D

I also find jumping kinda tiring and to go and face a 12 hr night shift is pretty poo

For an entire season, I worked the graveyard shift 9:00 PM to 8:00 am, with an hour break 4 days a week with friday through sunday off. What is there to do for an hour around 3 oclock in the AM... I'm not sure.

You're probably locked into that shift for now but I'd sure look into getting out of it as soon as you can. Also, if they aren't offering you additional pay for that shift, they should be. I think it's a requirement, but don't quote me on that.

I learned to switch back and forth but it took a while. Black out your windows so you can sleep during the day. If you're in a room mate situation, wear earplugs, or get something to create white noise, or both.

I found that unless I really had to do some errands in the morning after getting off work, that just going right to bed seemed best. Some folks find it easier to wake up an hour before the shift and adjust the bed time accordingly but that never worked for me. I went to bed around 9 or 10 AM and woke up around 5 or 6 PM.

Come friday, stay up after work a bit longer or just sleep when you're tired ... get up a couple hours later and go back to bed at a normal time. Get up early.. (if you can) then head out to the dz.

You may find yourself a bit monotone feeling at first (if that makes sense). If you get tired during the day, and you will, Just take a nap.

The shift sucks... but you can get used to it. First thing to do... tell all your friends you probably won't see much of them for a while.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks for the advice. They're gonna pay me ALOT more money for the night shift but I'd settle for the day shift with lower pay if I could...but there aren't any openings and being new I probably won't be able to change shifts for a while. The roomate situation is really good because she's also working nights. I thought about reconsidering just because of jumping but that would be a HUGE mistake because this is one of the top hospitals in the country so I'd be pretty dumb to throw that away. That and the money's really good. Wow...this really sucks:(

it shouldn't be a big deal. as far as i know it was a contributing factor in only one fatality, and that guy forgot to put his rig on. you should be fine as long as you ask for at least one pin check.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin.
options: it does a body good.

I do it. 6 to 6 swapping back and forth between days and nights one week to the next. I've been doing this since I was 17 so my body is adapted to a degree.

Once in a while I'll jump after a graveyard but I try to limit it to easy going not super demanding jumps. It sure makes it it easy to be there for the dawn ballon load. The bulk of my jumping is on my long change were I have a bunch of days off in a row to wind down.

Resist the urge to hit one day of a boogie in between nite shifts. If you are not dangerous during this long day you will be that second nite at work.

As someone who works shift work nonstop... here are my thoughts.

First off all I work a mix of 3-11pm, 7-3am and 11pm to 7am shifts... Mostly nights and mids as I hate getting up early.

I would often swap onto 11pm - 7am shifts knowing that they were the best for jumping in my eyes... get home, get some sleep, and be at the dz by noon... jump the rest of the day. Especially with long daylight hours over the summer.

Downside was no drinking beer if I had to go to work afterwards.

The most important aspect to this kind of thing is how well you know yourself, and knowing if you are tired. And honestly only you will be able to make that decision. I've felt great after 2 hours of sleep and shitty after 7 hours... it's all just a feeling.

That said, I plan on during the summer time, once again swapping on to as many midnight shifts as I can as they work great for jumping.

Just remember if your alarm rings to wake you up to go to the dropzone and you feel like hitting the snooze... you probably should. unless you broke the button off like I did....

There always will be other days to jump-

I too work in the Medical field, I've worked nights for the better part of 15 years, Youll get used to it working 12 and getting up and jumping and then going back to work is rough, but I'm sure the call to skydive will out weigh your need for sleep :) Just make sure you have enough rest before your shift. Alot of times I would go in the mornings after I got off, make a jump or 3 and then head home to take a nap before work so I was somewhat rested. Have fun

Seeing the hours I guessed that you may be a nurse... I manage and nursing home/assisted living.

Working nights can be tough, but your bosy will adjust. Really, your adrenaline will overtake any tiredness that you have and jum;ing on the weekends should not be a problem for you!

When I worked nights, I was so out of sorts when it came to the weekend that I basically did not sleep at all and did ok.

Depends on your body and how you are, but GOOD LUCK!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

I work 6pm-6am. Every now and then I would just drive out to the DZ after work. I'd be a little tired until my first jump and then I was ok and got a great sleep afterwards. I made sure I wasn't working that night though. I've been doing this shift for a few years so I'm used to doing things after work. If you're too tired,... take a little nap at the DZ.

I work a 9 ta 5 Mon-Fri and on Fri & Sat nights work a part time thats 6:30 ta 6:30/

Bottom line if you want it bad enuff you'll find the time & energyB|

I do get some sleep on my part time (towtruck driver) when ther is no calls "GET SLEEP FAST"

Went through AFF like this.

But I wouldn't suggest it if you don't feel up tp it.