onlyood

Practice without a DZ

This post has been done a number of times, but I just wanted to see if I could get some more answers. I had my first jump a little over a year ago and broke my leg (tandem). I wanted to do AFF after it healed, but I moved to southern China where there are no DZs (much beer for anyone who proves me wrong on that one). I will go back to the states in 6 months and want to start my AFF as soon as I get back. What can I do to prepare given that there are no DZs, wind tunnels, etc available in my area (Guangdong, Hong Kong, Macau)?

Here are some things I've gleaned from previous posts:

Breathing Techniques: To help me learn to relax
Stretch: The more limber, the better the arch
Read: SIM, etc...

Any other words of wisdom? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: To prove I have a basic understanding of English grammar
DZ.com Gems:
1) In a two-out situation, anything you do or don't do can make the situation better or worse.
2) Remember: high performance canopies can give you not only high performance openings, bu

Watch videos dude-

Not only are they fun but you'll learn a lot about the culture/procedures/stupid crap we do.

If there's no airport and no skydivers within a million miles - besides reading the sim there's not much else you can do.

Good luck! I thought I had it bad waiting for the snow to leave!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Breathing Techniques: To help me learn to relax
Stretch: The more limber, the better the arch
Read: SIM, etc...

Work out - upper body strength and overall endurance are good things even if you never jump again.

Add to reading - Parachuting The Skydiver's Handbook (Poynter/Turoff, ParaPublishing), Jump! Skydiving made fun and easy (Buchanan, I forget the publisher), Brian Germain's The Parachute and it's Pilot, the articles in the Safety section of this website.

Enjoy China while you are there! A friend of mine taught English there for a couple years and absolutely loved it. B|

There are a few pretty good threads about reading lists in the forums. I try to pick up a couple books everytime I go to Hong Kong. Thanks for the tips about upper body strength ... :)

Any of you guys find yourselves in Shenzhen in the next few months, stop by & I'll show you around;)
DZ.com Gems:
1) In a two-out situation, anything you do or don't do can make the situation better or worse.
2) Remember: high performance canopies can give you not only high performance openings, bu

How I broke my leg ... I reached down with my right foot. *crack*snap*crack* I've got a few breaks:)

Lesson I Learned: DO NOT REACH FOR THE GROUND ... IT WILL COME TO YOU
DZ.com Gems:

If your TI ever says to you: "I'll explain how to land on the way down", RUN (do not walk) to your car and GO.

That isn't a fair characterization. I know many many tandem instructors and some of them use this method so as to not overwhelm their passenger with a bunch of instructions before their first skydive.

One specific story I can remember regarding this was a TI that explained the "landing position" to a student prior to exiting the plane and then had their passenger keep their legs up and out throughout the entire freefall portion of the skydive and also made for an exciting exit.

How tall you are doesn't affect whose feet touch down first for a tandem. My first TI was about 6 inches shorter than me at least and we landed without incident having the process explained "on the way down".
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

If your TI ever says to you: "I'll explain how to land on the way down", RUN (do not walk) to your car and GO.

That isn't a fair characterization. I know many many tandem instructors and some of them use this method so as to not overwhelm their passenger with a bunch of instructions before their first skydive.

Before doing my tandem my TI and I watched a video explaining what I was expected to do (now I'm reading these forums, I know I wasn't expected to do much ;)), and the video told how I should put my legs forward before landing. Then, at about 1000 meters high, my TI asked me to do it in order to check I understood. Quite a good way to proceed, in my opinion?

I am totally going to Malaysia during my next week-long vacation. Thanks so much for the tip :)
DZ.com Gems:

Jump off your roof and arch all the way to the ground. If somewhere besides your stomach hurts after you land you need to keep working on that arch. B|

What are the building height requirements? :P
DZ.com Gems: