skygirlboston

In need of a motivational boost

Hey all - at the end of this summer/beginning of Fall, I started my AFF, but due to travel for work and climate changes, I didn't progress beyond my third AFF jump (2 instructors, release). I love the sport and at that time, I had the skydiving itch like no other, but with time my natural pensiveness resurfaced. When I think about embarking on the remainder of my AFF jumps, I no longer feel that immediate wooosh of adrenaline, but rather, I think more upon malfunctions and my failure to immediately call to mind the best means to deal with particular malfunctions. I know that my AFF instructors will refresh my memory and go over any groundwork that both they and I deem necessary, but I still feel a bit weary. Has anyone or did anyone ever experience a feeling similar to this? When I first jumped out of a plane, I immediately knew that this was a sport that I could not only see myself doing more often, but a sport I could see myself falling in love with. I would hate it if a temporary bout of "fear" prevented me from ever regaining that initial (and seemingly unmatchable)high. I mention this now b/c I'm heading down to Lake Wales in 10 days with several skydivers and would like to finish my AFF program while there. Does anyone have any suggestions for rebuilding my confidence? Also, if you have any skydiving video or book recommendations, I would much appreciate them!

Thanks!
Leeanne

When I think about embarking on the remainder of my AFF jumps, I no longer feel that immediate wooosh of adrenaline, but rather, I think more upon malfunctions and my failure to immediately call to mind the best means to deal with particular malfunctions.

Good. That means you are beginning to understand that skydiving is dangerous and that it's up to you to make you jumping as safe as you possibly can.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rebuilding my confidence?

Jump. Then after you jump, jump again. Repeat until you run out of money. ;)

Also, if you have any skydiving video or book recommendations, I would much appreciate them!

Parachuting, The Skydivers Handbook (Poynter/Turoff; ParaPublishing) and/or Jump! Skydiving made fun and easy (Buchanan; I forget the publisher). Both contain information that can help you force those butterflies in your stomach to fly in formation.

Hi Leeanne,

I would bet that the lack of confidence you're feeling is because you haven't jumped in a while, and the suggested cure is jumping out a plane ;)

Books... the usual suspects i.e. Skydivers Handbook by Dan Poynter and Parachute and its Pilot by Brian Germain. (haven't read "transcending fear" by Germain yet but you may want to have a look at the sample, here: http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/sample-trans_fear.pdf )
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

i got ur motivational boost right here baby..... same thing happened to me ..... jump through it. i think the best video bang for the buck is called good stuff or something like that by jennings maybe but maybe not . but it's actually 2 videos in one and you'll be wanting to jump after watching it .

people see me as a challenge to their balance

I did AFF over a long period (probably a year or maybe a little more to do my first 8 jumps). Every time I'd head back to the DZ, I'd be asking myself "Why am I doing this? This is just stupid!" Then I'd jump, have a great time in freefall, and as soon as I'd open, I'd sit there under canopy thinking "oh yeah, THAT's why I came back!"

All you can really do to get over it is jump. A little wind tunnel time while you're in FL might make the freefall part easier so you can focus more on the canopy stuff.

BTW, I'll be at Lake Wales for the boogie too.

Dave

Hi Leeanne!

You are gonna have sooooo much fun at the Lake Wales boogie. I just got back from there yesterday.
Like you, other AFF students have gone down to LW during the boogie in the past to finish up, and they all had a blast. The DZ, the aircraft, and most importantly the people, are some of the best you'll see in the sport. Go, have fun, and keep Mary out of trouble and Donna off the roof.......lol

If your looking for a little boost, here, read what I wrote on here 4 years ago, maybe it will give you an idea of what to expect the sport (and Pepperell) will bring you.

http://www.dropzone.com/columns/TheSkyLessTraveled.shtml

And just think of the day that you, me, Jimmy, Mary, Donna and Danger build your first 6-way round! :P

Blue skies, Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I have some degree of fear on a regular basis. The more I jump the less I have. I’ll go weeks without a single twinge of fear and then have weekends were it won’t go away. It doesn’t stop me form jumping, I just learn to deal with it. this past Saturday I was apprehensive my first two jumps but by my 5th I didn’t have an fear or apprehension at all.

If your going to become a skydiver you’ll have these issues. Part of what I like about skydiving is it allows us to overcome our fears and do things most people will never even try.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

They're all right, you're starting to use your head and think clearly. The books recommended by Lisa are very good (I have both) and definitely worth reading. Once you get out the door on your next jump you'll be fine.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who lent their words of wisdom and encouragement. And Tom, I will keep your wife off the roof of the Green Gables - well as long as that crazy Romanian doesn't get to her first.

In the end, I've come to realize that I am less afraid of jumping (or malfunctioning, etc) and more afraid of the possibility that I will let "fear" overcome my desire to complete the AFF program...and to that I say, pllfffsst (or something like the the vocal equivalent to sticking "fear" with the middle finger).

Here's to blue skies ;)
thanks again...