Superman32

What is your field of work?

I was a carpenter/foreman for the past 13 years, after second back injury I am having to change careers. I am 32 and will be going back to school in Spring '06 for business. I am also taking Autocad on the side. I haven't jumped in 2 years, but after recovery I plan making skydiving my number one source of entertainment, actually a necessity. Skydiving has been a goal which has kept me going through this injury and career change. It is the single thing that I look forward to. Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to everyone.

IT has one unique characteristic that really helps in skydiving: it gives you a high disposable income.

You know, I'd heard that they grow some really good sh-t in Oz, and
now I believe it. :) If you _aren't_ smoking something, I'm off to read
this.

I would suggest, though, that there is a different financial advantage to
working in IT: you can make money as a successful SL or IAD instructor,
because if you've worked in IT for more than ten minutes, wanting to
throw someone out of an airplane will come naturally to you.

The USPA usually has a breakdown by occupation on their member
survey results: 2004 2002 2001 2000

Eule

(edit: speeling misteak)
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Seems that 7) Education - Teacher, professor has the lowest share. Backs up the ethos that those that can, do. those that cant, teach

Or maybe some people like 4 mths off a year?

I worked 12 hours last week, 18 this week...And made good money. How much did you work?;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

IT has one unique characteristic that really helps in skydiving: it gives you a high disposable income.

...unless of course you're like one of the many highly replaceable IT workers who have had their jobs outsourced to India :D

I feel really bad for kids who fell for the BS college recruiters fed to them a while back about being able to make $100k right out of college in IT :|

...unless of course you're like one of the many highly replaceable IT workers who have had their jobs outsourced to India :D

I feel really bad for kids who fell for the BS college recruiters fed to them a while back about being able to make $100k right out of college in IT :|

It's only been a couple months since I last heard Bill Gates complaining about a lack of qualified IT graduates.

For Great Deals on Gear

It's only been a couple months since I last heard Bill Gates complaining about a lack of qualified IT graduates.

The qualified IT graduates that have worked in the field or coming into it now have an average lifespan in a company of 18 months to 3 years. :S It begins to get a bit annoying and wearing when you're job searching so often due to layoffs. Budget cuts come and the first group to get the axe is usually IT as they are a cost center not a profit center. And unfortunately a lot of IT jobs here in the US are being outsourced to India or the Ukraine, etc. where labor is cheaper. So when companies stop outsourcing the IT jobs overseas (or other countries start outsourcing their IT jobs here), maybe the qualified pool will a) stay in the IT pool and b) get better for those that have just graduated.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I can tell you from experience that there's no lack of IT graduates who are qualified on paper...

The problem is that very few of them actually understand anything about what they learned in school, and all of them need you to hold their hands to get them through simple tasks once you hire them.

I can tell you from experience that there's no lack of IT graduates who are qualified on paper...

The problem is that very few of them actually understand anything about what they learned in school, and all of them need you to hold their hands to get them through simple tasks once you hire them.

That might explain why most of the IT folks I know have no problem finding jobs. Few of them are qualified on paper, but have much experience.

For Great Deals on Gear

That might explain why most of the IT folks I know have no problem finding jobs. Few of them are qualified on paper, but have much experience.

I'd hire someone with a GED and 10 years of proven real world experience in the field over a fresh out of college mental midget with a degree any day of the week.

Every college graduate I've had on my team has turned out to be a worthless employee with poor work ethics and no technical skill.