flyinghonu

Hop n' Pops

That was me ... because of AFF I had always left at min 13000 ft... but to be honest... my most fun jump in the first 25 was the Hop and Pop... the sub-terminal opening is awesome ... and since my fear was so extreme, when I landed I was incredibly proud and gradified... good luck and let us know how it goes. Now I do more low alti jumps (our H&Ps $10.00 between 5 and 6 grand, so there is freefall ) then full alti jumps...
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

i have to admit that doing a hop n pop scares the shit out of me...

Why?

Did your first skydive scare you? Then not as scary 20 skydives later right?

You have a couple of parachutes? You know how to use them? Relax, and get comfortable making clear and pulls from a low altitude because on day you might be the person sitting next to the door and there is an aircraft emergency at 2500 feet and everyone on the plane is commanded by the pilot to get out quickly and lets say that you are scared to get out that low, and you hesitate thus holding up the people behind you and your hesitation costs someone their life.

Hop and Pops from a low altitude is a skill we must acquire in the event we are ever in such a situation and need to get out quickly with little warning and safely.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If you're going to be sitting on the ground anyway due to bad weather, wouldn't you have rather gotten in a jump, even if a low one?

On shitty weather days me and the boys used to do "ten from two". Ten jumps from two grand. A penny more than two grand and we were launching four-ways.

Chuck

I LOVE getting out at 3.5-4k We launch 3-4 ways all the time. My favorite thing to do is set up in the door and come out straight in a track and see how far I can get before 2K My Tracking definatly has improved because of this. I also love leaving in a back track and flipping off the camera guys :D Another really cool thing to do with a plane load of Tandems is open the door and push the guy out then shut the door real fast and turn around and say. "Thats what happens when you fart on the plane,are to cheap to pay what the rest of us have to pay etc etc etc":D Their eyes get really big!

So I guess they really arn't Hop and Pops for me just low altitude skydives since I usually take 10-14 second delays. I do make clear and pulls about every 4-5 just to stay current on emergencey procedures though.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Oh yeah. Made plenty of 'em. Less time in the plane (less anxiety), no worries about blowing the exit or the planned RW stuff, etc. The drawback is it's another jump where I don't improve my RW skills, resulting in a guy with hundreds of jumps whose flying ability runs the gamut from "not half bad" to "well, at least he won't hurt anyone."

My favorite hop 'n' pop was my 500th jump, open by 13,000. A nice 15+ minute ride, drank two beers on the way down. Beautiful hazy Georgia summer sky, big puffy clouds, no wind. Kept the main in half brakes & tugged on a riser once in a while to steer. Released the brakes at 3000' and pulled off a standup landing on target with almost no circulation in my legs.

That was with my Wonderhog. The infinity is MUCH more comfortable.B|

Cheers,
Jon S.

...because one day you might be the person sitting next to the door and there is an aircraft emergency at 2500 feet and everyone on the plane is commanded by the pilot to get out quickly...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Oh, yeah. The engine on the Beech-18 popped and sputtered in June 1993 near Ellijay, Georgia around 1800-2000 feet. Half the load got out over a highway about five miles from the DZ, while the other half landed on one engine. One guy was an AFF student going up to 3500' for his graduation H.&P.

He passed.

Several people stopped their cars to watch us descend and land on the grass near the pavement. What a blast!

Cheers,
Jon S.

My favorite hop 'n' pop was my 500th jump, open by 13,000. A nice 15+ minute ride, drank two beers on the way down. Beautiful hazy Georgia summer sky, big puffy clouds, no wind. Kept the main in half brakes & tugged on a riser once in a while to steer. Released the brakes at 3000' and pulled off a standup landing on target with almost no circulation in my legs.

I have to admit, I've only done one full altitude h&p. Was a little intimidating (and bumpy) at first but then just started playing around with the canopy and it was awesome. However, I did have to take small breaks to massage blood back into my legs and feet - even sitting back in your harness w/ legs tucked sucks, stomach muscles turn to jelly :S

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

When it is warmer out, I like to do 13,000 foot hop and pops. Shorts, tshirt and some killer views. You can do whatever you want to your canopy and have lots of room to save your ass.

Otter Crew is fun as well.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

At Skydive Houston, they offer a 5k Hop 'n Pop jump for $12. It's a climbing pass whereby the plane doesn't level off or throttle back. But the more speed the better, for me.

Is this out of the Otter? For safety, I hope so. Any plane with a rear door and a low tail can be hazardous for a jumper exiting at climb attitude with ful power.

Yes, an Otter.

My DZ doesn't have a discount for a HnP other than the standard Cessna price.

ditto. I love doing H&P, but unless I'm seriously jonesin' for air and the clouds are low, I'm not into paying that much for 3500 feet. On the other hand, in warm weather I will pass up all other kinds of jumps for a 10,000 foot H&P. B| Hang out in the sky, watch the clouds, scream and shout and sing. :)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

lol they certainly are very useful btu i found myne dead boring.

it was over so soon adn was shit IMHO.

Maybe one from 1.5k would be more interesting....

Mikey, stop talking nonsens.
Do your hop'n pops as required. They never are "boring". Guy, keep your head together, man!

What are yout talking about: 1.5k m or ft?? [:/]

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Hop n pops are a fave no-brainer.

Hop n pop skills can save your life if you ever have to get out low .

Hop n pops can be the cheapest form of skydiving. I once did one for less than $1 in the late 80's

Some DZ's price hop n pops out of the game.. making them too expensive .
Some backward DZ's I've jumped at recommend every-one stays in the plane if there's aircraft trouble under 2000'.:S

I've seen trained skydivers take over 1000' to get stable doing hop n pops ...

Hop n pops rock.

i said they were essential but i found myne boring as hell. nothing to do apart from pull within 10 secs....

it would be better from a lower altitude ... ibt more exciting.

Lol my heads on its just they are boring to do for me personally although that is only my oppinion. I never said they werent necessary or that I wouldnt do them.

as an AFF student on my solo jumps now, these high alt. h&p really sound like a lot of fun. When i eventually try one, what are some things to look out for? is canapy conntrol different, or the same?

Dress more warmly than you normally do. Instead of dropping under 10k in the first 30 seconds, you'll be up for several minutes, and perhaps 15 to the ground. I definitely wished I had worn warmer socks on the last one I did. Wish I had brought thin gloves to wear too.

as an AFF student on my solo jumps now, these high alt. h&p really sound like a lot of fun. When i eventually try one, what are some things to look out for? is canapy conntrol different, or the same?

I used hop n pops to improve my canopy control and accuracy between AFF and my B license. I'd always start the day with a hop n pop because it allowed me to:
1) save money, since my 6000 hop n pop cost $12
2) get good at getting immediately stable from whatever unstable exit I could come up with
3) use the whole landing area as my personal playground since I was always the only guy out at 6k
4) get down, get packed and catch the second otter load even if it turned hot
5) finally, if the spot is off and the uppers are not as expected, you let the rest of the load land off while the pilot adjusts his jump run

If you are lucky enough to have high hop n pops at your DZ, you can get a good 15 seconds of freefall from 6-3500 and then still have some canopy time and the accuracy experience without traffic on a budget. I'd say even if your DZ only gets 3500 for hop n pops you should do one every weekend or two.

If you are lucky enough to have high hop n pops at your DZ, you can get a good 15 seconds of freefall

bah, from 6k you've got a good 25 seconds to 2300. Lots of time to do some quick RW B|
25sec - 7sec (tracking) gives you 18 seconds of working time!
(more if your balls are bigger than mine :P)

:)

edited: grammar & spel'in