frequentflyer

I have a contact in Hollywood, for Spike TV

As of today, I have a contact in Hollywood who is looking for video footage to include on their show “World’s Most Amazing Videos”. I'm sending in mine, and you can send in yours too.

Yes, I'm being serious. It's for Spike TV and they're producing 26 one-hour shows, airing this winter. If you've got good (aka "Amazing") footage (duh) that's been shot within the past 5 years, then give it a shot!

There is a deadline, it takes time to sort through things and edit it together by this winter - so the sooner you reply, the sooner things can happen. Yes, you get money too - but probably not enough to consider it "sponsorship by an employer" ;)

If you've ever found yourself thinking, "I wish I knew someone to send my video to, so I can get it on TV". . . I've met that person today, and am sharing it with you.

Got any questions? The guy's name is Todd Lindsey and he can be reached at

[email protected].

Just include in the subject line "Karen Hawes" and your name, so he can filter out the spam and keep your message, then he'll be able to help you from there.

I can try to answer any questions, if you want to ask me instead - I'll do the best I can, when I have the chance to get to the internet (which isn't every day).

Good luck to everyone!

See you later. . . sometime, somewhere.

"RealTV" shows only the videos that are provided by the people making them. . . so, it's up to everyone as to what to send in for consideration. There is some "amazing" video out there, that doesn't involve cheating death - and I hope the owners of it want to send it in and even make a little money in the process. Of course, people with the death-defying videos will probably send it in too, because that's what people are drawn to. . . car wrecks, houses on fire, slow-motion-instant-reply of crashes of all sorts, etc. Skydiving is not exempt from this fact of human nature.

I only have non-death-defying video to send in, and perhaps it may not be shown, but it's good stuff and it's a start.

If you're reading this, I hope you see this as an opportunity to "Be the change you want to see." and send in what you've got.

See you later. . . sometime, somewhere.

If people actually begin to send more things in to this show, we are doing a real disfavor to our sport. Spike TV doesn't show successful ground breaking skydives. They show the same type of things that the news shows about us...close calls, deaths, stupid acts...and they will use them as propoganda as such.

In our United States culture, for some reason, we have come to a point where there is a positive story on the news here and there, but the majority of it is fateful and tragic acts pertaining to our local residencies.

Frequentflyer, i'm not trying to dog on what you are doing, I just want you and everyone else to keep in mind what does make it on TV, especially Spike TV. It may sound like a good deal, but you could say every good thing about our sport, and none of it would make it on the news. There was a fatality at a dropzone four hours away from my dropzone last week and within an hour, a news station was out interviewing people from my dropzone...which is crazy because we had nothing to do with the fatality...they just wanted info about skydiving. The people who were interviewed said only positive things about our sport, but of course, it was edited beyond all recognition.

I once saw a program on "hilarious and stupid human acts" and pond swooping was one of them, all they showed was videos of people eating it in various ponds...funny...yes...but not an accurate depiction of swooping. We all know that swooping is a precision sport/art carefully planned and executed that can have dangerous concequences if done wrong, but they showed it as a careless, crazy, and funny to watch act.

I just have a feeling that this show on Spike TV is going to be the same way. Think about it before you send in your material...and they better be paying for your footage even if you do send it in or our sport AND the person sending in the footage are getting ripped of!

I respect frequentflyer for only sending in material that isn't "crazy or death defying." Thats what the program needs. But please people...these shows get these shananegans from somewhere...and skydivers are some of the only people that I know who have first hand footage of these things...send in positive media footage, or send in nothing at all.

Cheers,
Travis

lots of times they do make it look dangerous, I wouldn't really say it makes it look bad. We've all seen the wuffo comentary where the guy dosent really know what hes talking about also. But at the same time, I have seen videos of world record stuff, celebrity skydives, and general main parachute malfunctions where they land under a good reserve. Videos where nothing bad has happened. Stuff like that is amazing to wuffos as well. A main malfunction is an often occurrence at a lot of DZ's, and not really a big deal to most. But to a wuffo, its "OMFG.. his chute didnt open!!"

"By this point, the jumper is only 500 feet from the ground... 400... 300... 200... [altimeter comes into view reading 3,000 feet]... 100... AND HE GETS HIS RESERVE CHUTE OPEN!!!"
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

"By this point, the jumper is only 500 feet from the ground... 400... 300... 200... [altimeter comes into view reading 3,000 feet]... 100... AND HE GETS HIS RESERVE CHUTE OPEN!!!"

exactly. Even if TV is showing routine things in skydiving, they usually are going to make it seem more dangerous than it really is...and that's hurting our sport. It could potentially drive away someone who is toying with the idea of doing a tandem, but has safety doubts.

Its really a fine line, cuz it would be nice to have our sport televised more often, but at the same time, its all gonna seem pretty crazy for a whuffo. And in all reality...I'm not sure if I really want our sport more popularized..I kind of like the small tight knit group we have.

Cheers,
Travis

exactly. Even if TV is showing routine things in skydiving, they usually are going to make it seem more dangerous than it really is...

That is one thing.. the other thing with skydiving videos is that a lot of times the video itself isn't particularly spectacular.. It's the angle it's shot at, the kind of flying that would be required to get certain shots that makes a video cool.... for us.. because we understand the sport, we understand what is needed to make it look like that.

I think that is another major reason we only see the "spectacular" videos (read: accident footage)

An example of a video like this is a move that I saw McGowan do once, go over the top of a 4 way formation, and go head down, onto his back underneath, back to his belly on the other side.. a very cool move, and it looks really really cool on video.. but it only looks cool for us, cause we understand what kind of skills are necessary to be able to do that..

The WOW factor is completely different for whuffos....

Agreed, I show whuffos awesome freeflying videos and they have no grasp of the skills required to accomplish those feets.

Sometimes when the camera flyer changes from head up to head down, someone will go "Neat!, he's upside down." But that's about it.

As much as I am not into skysurfing, I think it's the easiest for an outsider to grasp...as you can really tell when those guys are spinning like a ceiling fan. Plus it brings in the familiarization of a boardsport.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Wingsuiting as well. Wuffos like/need gimmicks. I think swooping does the same thing, because wuffos can see it first hand and help them to realize the speed and accuracy involved..they may not understand the skill, but its a start. Freefall is just videos. No one knows what it feels like, no one knows what it takes to do some of those things. Its what is so awesome about this sport, and yet so sad that only a few enjoy it.

Cheers,
Travis

The funny thing is that I've found that many a whuffo can be truly fascinated by the appropriate videos. I work for a local Apple store and decided to put three videos on my iPod to carry around... one freefly, one wingsuit and one terminal wall BASE.

At least 60-70% of the people who view the videos just stare in awe, not able to believe what they're seeing. About half of those people either say "I've always wanted to do that" or "I did it, it's not that hard. They wanted me to fly that bird parachute suit thing but i decided against it".

The 30% of people who don't stare in awe either get uncomfortable [fear of heights?] or just don't care.

Remember that 94% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

The new season of the show "World's Most Amazing Videos" will start on 14-Feb-2006 on Spike TV at 11PM.

On 21-Feb-2006 they will air the second show of the season (Episode 28). On this show they suppose to show an incident I had back in 2004. I just hope not to look as much as a dork as I felt in front of the camera. [:/]

You can find more information of the web site World's Most Amazing Videos!
Saludos,
Orlando
Hispa #48 || www.amador.org || Xtreme Divers

If u havnt already seen this page, view it. this is the type of content they are looking for. watch a few of them...:o[:/]:|

http://www.worldsmostamazingvideos.tv/clips.html

Edit: thier submit ur vid page. http://www.worldsmostamazingvideos.tv/submit.html

Pleeeeaase keep it in mind when sending video.

One less instence were i have to defend my favorite activity, the one that gives me the most fulfillment because its not for everyone, would be very appreciative.;)

Sure it all has a shock and aww factor. Hell, some had me saying "oh shit, thats gotta suck!". I would be a filty stinkin liar if i said i wouldnt watch the show. Just hope that these are the worst they have! :S

just dont send them anything of someone going in. Make sure there is a recovery in the end. and im not talkin about in the ICU either.;)

PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE and thanks!!!

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

And what makes you think this is a good thing?
Skydiving right beside:

ELEPHANT PROCTOLOGIST – self explanatory

AIR FORCE SUCKER - A crewman takes a wrong step and is sucked into the engine of a jet plane.

PILOT PERIL - An air show comes to a crashing halt as two Russian pilots collide in mid-air, their planes careening to the ground in flames.

LIFEGUARD TRAINING UP IN FLAMES - During a demonstration, a lifeguard sets fire to a boat, accidentally blowing it up -- with him still in it!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP