virginflyer3

Contacts or glasses to jump?

I have been using goggles from SportRx.com and have been pretty happy with them. They have a lot of styles and are cheap enough to lose in freefall. By cheap I mean $ 125.00 compared to some prescription sunglasses $300.++
I much prefer these to trying to jump with goggles over glasses.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I've never lost a contact while jumping. I have toric lenses though, and they are a tighter fit than any "off the shelf" throwaway lenses would be.

I can't imagine wearing glasses while jumping. The lack of peripheral vision would bug the hell out of me!

400+ jumps...I think maybe 10 of them were with my glasses...the rest with contacts.

Never lost a contact....even when I had my helmet blow off at 9000' :o :ph34r:

I am in the same boat as HeatherB...I have toric lenses.

I pretty much wear a full face helmet most of the time, the occasional FF jump I would wear open face with goggles, nothing fancy. Never had a problem there either.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

In my packing class, one of the other students lost a contact (both?) in freefall. She then had either a lineover or a brake fire, and vision could have been a factor there in her decision to cutaway. Reserve opened fine, but she couldn't see very well and just drifted a long way downwind and landed badly in a canal ditch, impacting hard on the heel of the foot. Skydance is surrounded by mostly open crop fields yet this was the result. Worse, she had no glasses/spares to drive home afterwards.

Until I did Lasik in 2000, I only wore glasses, never could handle contacts. Used prescription goggles for diving, but mind you, my correction is small enough that I can survive ok without. If you can't, I'd be very reluctant to go with contacts during the student process, esp given you haven't been using them prior. If you go for it, think about carrying spare glasses in your jumpsuit.

Has to be contacts! But I couldn't go back to wearing glasses now for anything...I have contacts that I leave in for almost a month and haven't lost one yet - haven't even felt them (but tight goggles is definitely a good idea).

Having only recently (about 6 months ago) changed to contacts I can happily say it only takes about a month max until you become addicted to contacts!
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Contacts. Tried many. Acuvue 2 seem to work best for me. Acuvue 2 contact material is firm, it bends,doesnt 'wrinkle/wad up'. Has a bit larger diameter than in the past and tapered edge so that eyelid doesnt kick them out as easily also. Have learned a few tricks in keeping them in during unusual circumstances as well, like squinting. Also surf in the ocean w/ contacts.

I've been wearing glasses under goggles, and long ago just glasses only, with a leash.

But this thread has actually got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, I'll try contacts. My wife's been nagging me about it for years and I need a new prescription whichever way I go. Contacts don't need expensive frames either. Hmmmmm.......

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

So far it's been glasses under goggles, I have to get my eyes checked again and get new contacts before I can jump with contacts. The ones I have now are good for seeing distance but I can't read anything with them in...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Just a tip for anyone wanting to try out new contacts - Purevision! I've been wearing this brand for about 3 months now and I love them! They have a higher water content (among other improvements) so if you don't have really sensitive eyes (also not suggested for beginners) you can actually leave them in for 3-4 weeks! Mine are so comfy I put them in at the beginning of the month and take them out at the end! B|
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

One of the moderators here had his cornea tear from the scar from his Lasik... He had Lasik done a long time ago, perhaps it's better now.. but healing is healing I can't see how it would be much different.

I had PRK surgery about 2 weeks ago... I am seeing 20/15 now in both eyes, but the light still bothers me alot. No scars though since they don't make an incision. Each surgery has different pros and cons for each patient though. I was going for Lasik, but didn't qualify for different medical reasons.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Glasses or contacts when you jump? Which do you prefer?

I don't wear glasses all the time but would have to for jumping, so I thought I might get use to wearing contacts for skydiving purposes. Is it worth the effort or should I stick to the glasses?

Any advice will be much appreciated.:)

I just keep my eyes closed, and being over texas when I smell cowshit it is pull time
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Hi,

Out of around 1350 jumps in total (nearly all freefly), I have approx. 300+ jumps with the Bobster Roadhog. I have approx. 600+ jumps with the G101. Both are from Sport RX.

Check the below link for a detailed description of their models.

http://www.sportrx.com/search_results.asp?type=sport&sport=skydiving

In my opinion, for sure prescription goggles are the way to go!!! Much easier to use than contacts and no hassles with breaking your glasses or trying to work out the goggle-glasses combo. The Bobster Roadhog is a good one to go for as you have a much wider choice of frame and lens colour.

Ciao,
Jumpalot

I tried contacts for a few times but I kept fishing them from my goggles after landing, so now I'm sticking to my specs. I'll get some prescription goggles when I get rich.

I've fished A contact ONE time....and that was using borrowed goggles. Regular flex goggles work fine.

I've worn glasses for about 22 years. When I started jumping last year I used over-the-glasses goggles and
bought my own pair (Flex-Zs) after a few months. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt to get the goggles,
glasses, and Pro-Tec all arranged correctly, but once I do that it stays the way I put it, at least so far.

My script is -6 on the right eye and -5.75 on the left. I have to use glasses to drive. In a dire emergency
(like someone is going to die in the next hour or so if I don't drive a car) I would try driving without them,
but I wouldn't do it for fun.

I've never tried contacts. A couple of things I don't like about them (which might be different with newer
types of contacts) is the idea that if you space out and leave them in when you go to sleep, they might
stick in your eye, and that you always have to carry around the bottle of goop to wash them with.

I've thought a little about the various surgeries you can have, but here's my problem with them: I am in my
early 30s. I'd like for my eyes to last at least another 60 years. I will believe that the surgeries are OK when
I hear about people in their 90s who had the surgery in their 30s and still have good eyesight. I don't know
when the eye surgeries started but I'm pretty sure it was later than 1946, so I still have a while to wait.

You may wish to ponder the fact that I can't see and yet my avatar is an owl...

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Hi Eule, You may want to reconsider contacts. There are several now that are approved to be slept in and let almost as much oxygen to your cornea as no lens at all. The best of these is Purevision, followed closely by Focus Night and Day, but there are a few others as well. There's also a new one coming out in the next few months, but I haven't tried it myself or on anyone else yet, so can't let you know how that rates.

Honestly, that's the type that I wear since I'm lazy ;)

By the time you are 90, you probably had cataract surgery, which does exactly the same thing as refractive surgery (very little to no distance prescription left), so you probably won't get that kind of information ever :P

Try contacts, see how you like them and go from there. All eye docs use trial lenses so you can give them a whirl and find the lens that is best for you from a vision, comfort, and health stance before you are allowed to order any lenses.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda